1 ... 4 5 6 7
4eyes
4eyes Dork
1/28/13 3:19 p.m.

The Euro-wagons have been swapped, and are awesome. But I haven't seen many Japanese wagon/ V8 swaps. How about an older wagon swap, or :

Or maybe kick the beige out of a Camry.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
1/28/13 3:27 p.m.

In reply to 4eyes:

Hey, didn't I hear something about a WRX with a bad engine?

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous HalfDork
1/28/13 3:38 p.m.

+1 for an LSR car. Lets see how fast a 4.8 or 5.3 can go in an iconic GRM-ish car like a 240z.

McTinkerson
McTinkerson New Reader
1/28/13 3:47 p.m.

The Honda insight has a drag coefficient of 0.25. LS powered insight as a LSR car sounds like a good pan to me.

Pat
Pat Reader
1/28/13 4:06 p.m.
McTinkerson wrote: The Honda insight has a drag coefficient of 0.25. LS powered insight as a LSR car sounds like a good pan to me.

Until you are over a buck 40 with that tiny wheelbase and no weight.

WilberM3
WilberM3 Dork
1/28/13 6:32 p.m.
Pat wrote: If you want a great LS project that would have an appeal to GRM readers and open up opportunity to another cluster of true grassroots racers, build a low buck Land Speed car. I ran at Maxton a few years ago with Andrew Nelson and it was a blast. The creativity and ingenuity there was amazing. The LSR guys are truly grassroots, home built racers. So, the idea: I’ve been talking to Andrew about his LSR work a lot over the last year or so. I know that he still has his ’74 Datsun that he ran at the Challenge a few years back. That same car won Hot Rod Magazine’s Home Built Heroes – Quickest for Cheapest back in 2007 (I have the article…will scan and post later). Since then, the Nelson’s started the process of converting the Datsun into an LSR car on the cheap. I’d suggest GRM work with Andrew to drop a cheap LS into the Datsun and shoot for 200 mph. Depending on how in depth you’d want to go, you could do a whole build series on it complete with low buck tech tips. 200 mph $2000 (or whatever the decided amount is) would be awesome. Pushing it even further, build another LS car with a focus on handling and get both to the Challenge as exhibition cars. Andrew…if you’re reading this, you know you want to.

i for one would love to see this. Andy brought that car to my first challenge in '06 and blew me away when i heard the thing go down the strip sounding all indycarlike. a series of tech/budget articles on one road to 200 would be a really interesting and the transition from challenger to 200mph land speed car would be awesome!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/13 6:42 p.m.
4eyes wrote: The Euro-wagons have been swapped, and are awesome. But I haven't seen many Japanese wagon/ V8 swaps. How about an older wagon swap, or :

Damn, I had one of those that was missing an engine a few months back.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/28/13 7:04 p.m.

I offer my C3 Stingray, but that seems mundane. The BMW I would like to see however, ANY swap I will be interested in cause I want to learn techniques that can be applied to my cars.

vwcorvette
1/28/13 7:05 p.m.

Ooh--smart fortwo. I won't tell my wife why I need to drive it to Florida.

vwcorvette
1/28/13 7:21 p.m.

From Timmy's thread: I vote for this--

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
1/28/13 7:33 p.m.

How about a Series III 80's Jaguar XJ6?

Cheap buy in. Readily available. Different.

One of the nicest 4 door sedans ever made. IMO. :)

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
1/28/13 7:51 p.m.
vwcorvette wrote: From Timmy's thread: I vote for this--

Seriously, one of the best looking front ends on a family/estate car, like, ever.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
1/28/13 8:28 p.m.

Two things.

1. Bravenrace If I personally cut out my own heart with a Sawzall, with dull blade, and can get it into a box and mail it to you before I die, would that be enough to make you happy?

2. Petegossett tell me more about this spare Lotus. I am starting to get very excited. Where is it? How much is left of it? Are you serious? And yes you could drive it but you would probably have to sign 100 liability waivers first!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/28/13 8:36 p.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: Two things. 1. Bravenrace If I personally cut out my own heart with a Sawzall, with dull blade, and can get it into a box and mail it to you before I die, would that be enough to make you happy?

LOL! If this was 1998 I'd totally type "powned".

2. Petegossett tell me more about this spare Lotus. I am starting to get very excited. Where is it? How much is left of it? Are you serious? And yes you could drive it but you would probably have to sign 100 liability waivers first!

Damn you... I said Opel Manta! Don't make me throw a Veruca Salt fit. Someone needs to do a wide-body V8 Manta and dammit... I am out of spare bays.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/13 9:16 p.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard:

Yesssss, more Lotus!

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
1/28/13 10:12 p.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: 1. Bravenrace If I personally cut out my own heart with a Sawzall, with dull blade, and can get it into a box and mail it to you before I die, would that be enough to make you happy?

I've been guilty of spreading the negativity too. Apologies. Something about the BMW thing just seems 'not exciting enough'. Then again, my first build was rebuilding and then swapping a small block chevy into a V6 Camaro. I was 17. Maybe I should start thinking about it more as a kids project than as magazine fodder.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/29/13 5:51 a.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard:

Tim, if you look on page-27 of the February issue, its the black one hiding in the shadows behind the yellow one. :D

The body is all there and intact, though will need work in spots(I can send close ups). It was originally maroon, and I almost think it was painted black with house paint. The frame appears solid as well.

I definitely need the brakes and rear axles, but we can discuss the other bits and determine what you need vs. what I could keep/sell.

You can PM me through here for more info.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
1/29/13 5:54 a.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: Two things. 1. Bravenrace If I personally cut out my own heart with a Sawzall, with dull blade, and can get it into a box and mail it to you before I die, would that be enough to make you happy?

Sorry, I thought you asked for our opinions on the subject.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
1/29/13 8:58 p.m.

Okay, no promises yet, but we have procured a Lotus Europa and an LS1. Let the games begin. Anyone have a Porsche transaxle in their back pocket?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/13 10:03 p.m.

I like where this is headed....

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
1/29/13 10:53 p.m.

I skip two pages of this thread because it was getting silly, and when I check back in the boy has a Europa? That was an unexpectedly awesome change of events.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
1/29/13 11:07 p.m.

this is going to be fun to watch

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/30/13 12:10 a.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: Okay, no promises yet, but we have procured a Lotus Europa and an LS1. Let the games begin. Anyone have a Porsche transaxle in their back pocket?

Nah, Audi 01E transaxle:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-powertrain-transaxles/24018-ls1-audi-01e-adapter-complete.html

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/30/13 12:28 a.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: Okay, no promises yet, but we have procured a Lotus Europa and an LS1. Let the games begin. Anyone have a Porsche transaxle in their back pocket?

You have made me very, very happy. I suspect I am not the only one thus affected (afflicted).

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
1/30/13 7:02 a.m.

I "triple dog dare you" to race my 5.3l LS Morris.

1 ... 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MYXWkmXr50koJisjL7NoeyA7wvwA2YXpOEUjsaDlmS8AeZMQ2KWSNl2FPlQSfHxo