OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
7/15/15 11:07 p.m.

And Oh. My. God. the exhaust note is hot sex.

That's it.

Carry on.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
7/16/15 9:30 a.m.

In reply to OldGray320i:

6 pot I presume?

The v8's don't sound like sex, just like muscle carish.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
7/16/15 9:52 a.m.

Video with sound of the exhaust please!

OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
7/16/15 10:03 a.m.

In reply to yamaha: Pretty sure it was six gun - and unless the v8's could come remotely close in sound, I'd choose (well, no money, so neither will be chosen) that sound over the extra power. Absolutely intoxicating.

In reply to amg_rx7: I couldn't get video as I was in traffic at the time (it would've been awful phone vid anyway...), but he knew I was trying to get a listen, I think he saw me roll down the window to hear - so he throws a downshift (paddled it? Aren't these cars all autotragics?). OMG. Fantastic sound.

I don't think I've ever heard better.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
7/16/15 2:13 p.m.

They're amazing. Probably the only new car I would go for.

And yes, you can now get the V6 with a stick. Berk yeah.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
7/16/15 2:15 p.m.

That exhaust sound is heavenly

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
7/16/15 2:16 p.m.

They have a manual available with the v6.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
7/16/15 2:36 p.m.

I just priced one out in a meeting.

$1500 monthly payment. Damn.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
7/16/15 5:44 p.m.

There is a new one (V8) in my parking lot at work, that passes me on the way in. It sounds amazing.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/15 5:49 p.m.

Drove a V8R model on Sunday. It was, um, awesome.

Jag was a major sponsor at the SVRA Portland Historic races and they were giving away free rides in Jag F-types and Range Rovers. You could drive a F-type around a short autocross course with an instructor or drive a Range around a Motocross course.

Some of the instructors were people like Davy Jones, Roberto Guerrero, etc. My Instructor was Mark Wolocatiuk who was the one who setup the course and during our runs had to go reset a cone that had been knocked over.

http://www.thedrivingconnection.com/mark-wolocatiuk/

As a feather in my cap, he commented that I was one of the better drivers he'd seen over the weekend :)

The brakes on those things were insane and would take a LOT more laps to get used to.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/16/15 5:50 p.m.

Isn't that exhaust note just the best?

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Reader
7/16/15 7:31 p.m.

In reply to turboswede: damn it man, you can't post that you drove it without including your review of the car! That car is high on my "if I won the lottery" list.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Reader
7/16/15 7:39 p.m.

The exhaust is indeed eargasm quality.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Reader
7/16/15 7:44 p.m.

I really want a V6 manual in dark green. I also really don't want to sink $70k into a car. Maybe if it could tow a camper, I could sell the house and live in that. Hmm...

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
7/16/15 8:17 p.m.

In reply to turboswede:

yes, I will take mine in orange

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/15 8:38 p.m.
Mezzanine wrote: In reply to turboswede: damn it man, you can't post that you drove it without including your review of the car! That car is high on my "if I won the lottery" list.

It was, in a word. Proper. It just felt "right" once I sat down. The amount of grip and communication are excellent. The brakes will keep eye surgeons happily buying them for years to come.

The noise. Oh God the noise! Savage and yet somehow sophisticated. It's thankfully not an autotuned pop-star, but more Brian Johnson. He can scream your ears off and make you feel like taking on the world, or he can tell you a great story down at the pub over a pint. Either way you're entertained and you don't come away with a single regret or lacking a grin from ear to ear.

Turn in is crisp with a hint of understeer with perhaps a bit too much boost at low speeds. Seats hold you in place and upright without crippling you or teaching you new Yoga positions getting in and out.

It's basically a larger, more posh and much more serious Miata. Even with an LSJuan swap, I would be hard pressed to choose the Miata over the Brit. Then again, I'd probably have one of both if I were successful enough to afford a new F-type.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Reader
7/16/15 11:11 p.m.

In reply to turboswede: Well crap. I saw one review or comparison video where the praise of the F Type was somewhat more metered, and I've clung to the idea that it isn't worth it.

I'll be keeping an eye on the Depreciation Station for this one to turn up. Maybe I'll be able to afford it in ten years? 20?

alex
alex UberDork
7/17/15 12:45 a.m.

Spotted a drop top in Red Bank, NJ a couple weeks ago and it was even better looking in person than in pictures. Maybe the best looking new car out there.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8tMJbtPGQSpxOEMYfJpYNmHP04kR6VE5YZvGoG2lu67iwBQIG186rCzaszMqirwK