1 2
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/20/16 9:22 a.m.

In reply to Zeitgeist:

rotary valves don't seal enough. Poppet valves can seal at very high pressures, on the other hand. Which is why they are still being used.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/16 11:37 a.m.

Rotary and sleeve valves also leave much to be desired with respect to chamber design. Like the Wankels, chamber shape is dictated by necessity instead of what makes for good combustion.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
9/20/16 11:48 a.m.

Can't we just have reed valves? Lol. (Flutter flutter)

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/29/16 3:05 p.m.

Just got caught up on this thread. So Jaguar's reinvented BMW Valvetronic, and Koenigsegg's system is actually electrohydropneumatic.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/29/16 3:46 p.m.
noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/29/16 8:17 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Rotary and sleeve valves also leave much to be desired with respect to chamber design. Like the Wankels, chamber shape is dictated by necessity instead of what makes for good combustion.

And to distract further from the original thread, I have wondered about using using a overhead camshaft with lobes shaped like a wankel rotor to be a combination valve/camshaft. As each lobe face passes its port it opens and then closes that port as the face of the lobe spins past it. Or has that been done?

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
9/30/16 12:22 a.m.
Knurled wrote: Valvetronic sounds about right. Every time I have the valve cover off of one of those, I get nerdsniped into trying to work out, exactly, just hwat the heck is going on in there.

It just moves the pivot point on the rocker arm, which changes it's ratio, which changes the lift and duration at the valve..

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7ZhXbUblwUaBHgdEwC7qT38VqTa4oi1jEEget8B9u6ARhxAublrNJMfGcBOOrHNt