1 2
rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/24/20 9:17 p.m.

My mother has decided that she would like to have a Jaguar to cruise around in on the weekends.  Her budget is in the neighborhood of 10k, and I have been chosen as the one to help find one.  There is a 98 XJR for sale locally that looks nice, but I just don't know enough about them to know if it's worth the risk.  I'm sure somebody here has a lot more knowledge than me about them.  If anyone could help, I would appreciate it very much.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/24/20 9:26 p.m.

I think 10k should net a nice looking higher mile XK.  I think a 98 xjr shouldn't be more than half that, maybe it's because there are at least 4 guys here who have them under 1/5 of that.  

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/24/20 9:53 p.m.

Don't get an xjr for cruising. Just get the regular xj sans supercharger. Less to maintain, less to break. 

Still an awesome looking and driving car.

10k buys a lot of jag but not a lot of work on a Jag. Pay more for less deferred maintenance.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
6/24/20 10:15 p.m.

The regular XJ of that era has a ZF transmission that craps the bed at a very high rate, tbe XJR gets a fairly bulletproof Mercedes unit, aside from a leaky o-ring on an electrical connector going into the transmission that is easily fixed. The early ones, both NA and supercharged, had issues with Nikasil coating in the cylinder bores, but that was only a problem with high sulfur fuel thats no longer available so its not a problem anymore. The timing chain tensioners are plastic until 2003, I think, and need to be replaced with the updated metal version.  

Jaguar was actually near thetop of the JD Power quality measurements in the early to mid 2000s, they're not the stereotypical disaster people think of when you mention Jaguar.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/25/20 8:22 a.m.

I suggest you be very wary of any of the Nikasil engines.  There's a reason they only made them for a few years.  Look for a puff of oil smoke and a bit of extra cranking on hot restarts.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/20 8:29 a.m.

As long as mom realizes that the likely hood of recouping much of the 10k later is virtually zero and this is a spend the $$$ on me to make me smile then it is ok.  I would look at possibly enquiring at the local jag dealership. But tell them that you have 5k to spend on a car for mom. Ask them to keep an eye out for a trade in that has a complete service history. Hell they may have a few on the back lot. Be willing to walk away and be prepared to be up sold. I would push for a warranty of some sort.  Push a hard bargain and do some homework to learn what trade in values are. If the dealer is doing there job they have already made there $$$ on the stale of the new car. Actually I am not sure I would give them a budget. I would see what they offer up first. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/20 8:32 a.m.

Here u go. 

https://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/ctd/d/providence-1998-jaguar-xjr-40-v8/7139795651.html

and $$$ to spare that will be needed for service and Maintence

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
6/25/20 8:41 a.m.

<=== Current XJR owner here (owned for over a year and 13,000 trouble free miles)

I got a Really good deal on my car, but I was actively searching for about two years to grab it that low (less than $2k).   You can find a nice example fairly quickly for $5,000-ish.  As other has said the main draw back is the early plastic timing chain guides on all the V8 engines.  If the engine is currently running you're ok, but budget for immediate replacement of the guides to the updated metal ones (factory upgraded around 2003).  As Robbie pointed out the XJR is probably more performance that your mom wants or needs, but it sure is FUN.

The '98 to 2003 cars are the sweet spot.  The exterior sheet metal and styling is still very pure Jaguar, while the internals, mechanicals and electrical were upgraded by Ford's ownership during this time frame, and are quite reliable.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
6/25/20 8:51 a.m.

Check in with the Marketplace over on the Jaguar Forums.  That's were I found mine for sale.

rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/25/20 8:24 p.m.

Thanks for the advice guys.  I'm glad that there is such a wealth of knowledge on this site.  

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/20 10:46 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Don't get an xjr for cruising. Just get the regular xj sans supercharger. Less to maintain, less to break. 

Still an awesome looking and driving car.

10k buys a lot of jag but not a lot of work on a Jag. Pay more for less deferred maintenance.

I'll disagree slightly.  The x308 (up to 2003 old body style) I would say definitely DO the supercharger.  The supercharger has proven very reliable aside from developing a typical coolant leak underneath which is relatively easy to fix.  The real benefit is that the blown versions used a mercedes 722.6x transmission which is WAY better than the ZF junk the others got.  

After 2003 with the x350 iteration, you get the benefit of an all aluminum body (which is great for no rust, but insurance companies know how much it costs to repair body work in aluminum) but all of them across the line get the ZF6HP.  When it fails (likely at around 60k), it is a disposable piece.  I've worked with some of the finest transmission rebuilders in three states.  I only knew two who would even attempt a rebuild and they could never get them right.  Junk.  Even Jasper doesn't do them anymore because they all end up coming back.  They'll need to be replaced with a new unit ($4600) or take your chances on a junkyard unit ($2500).

Basic guidlines (verfiy this by searching jag xj on wiki).  97-earlier will be the inline 6.  Not bad, but these were still the old coventry jags with all the fun foibles of a british car.  98-03 used a V8.  Up until about 2000, they used Nikasil liners in the bores which sometimes got scored and burned oil/lost compression.  If you find a 98-2000 that doesn't burn oil or have a misfire, it likely won't suddenly become an issue.  2001-2003 IMO is the sweet spot... well into Ford's ownership of Jag, XJRs came with the Mercedes trans, and cheap and plentiful.  2004-up is still a good bet, but I just can't bring myself to do a ZF trans.  After so many years of running transmission repair shops, I just can't.  I put them in the same league as Jatco.  (that's a really bad thing).  Trust me... if a Merc 722 transmission fails, it is bloody expensive to fix, but at least it CAN be fixed and it is far less likely to fail in the first place.

Whatever you do, don't spend $10k on anything with more than about 35k miles on it.  Jags absolutely TANK in value.  I passed on a 2003 XJR with 38k for $3000 because I didn't like the color.  I passed on a 2003 ultra-rare, one of a handful, Super V8 (the XJR drivetrain in the super-swanky Vanden Plas body) for $3800 with 113k because the seats had some wear.  Supercharged jags are that cheap and plentiful that I could be that picky. Also... whatever you do, don't trust ANYTHING the seller says.  If it says "doesn't shift right, just need to clear the code,"  that actually means, "oh E36 M3, the ZF trans E36 M3 the bed and I want to pass the $4000 repair to someone else."  If it says "bad fuel pump,"  it really means, "the dealer told me it would be $2500 for a new ECM and that might not fix the problem."  Jag sellers tend to be some of the sneakiest liars on the planet.

Example.  XJR with under 100k for $4500

Vanden Plas top of the line model with under 100k for $3900

iansane (Forum Supporter)
iansane (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/26/20 9:48 a.m.

I don't have much to ad other than I bought a s-typeR last year and have been beating the snot out of it since. I think I'm closing in on 180k and other than a bad heater control valve relay and a leaking radiator it's been great. Although now that I'm going to mod it I'm sure everything will E36 M3 the bed.

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
6/26/20 2:00 p.m.

Just picked up an 01 XKR. Trying to find out the service history so I can see if it has the updated tensioners. Gonna get the Mina rear muffler delete and intake tube. A little more v8 noise and supercharger whine is what the doctor ordered. Maybe an overdrive pulley , the juice don't seem worth the squeeze though, looking at what it takes. Aftermarket wheel fitment seems a little annoying too, since its the not quite 5x120 5x4.75 GM pattern.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
6/26/20 2:01 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:
......    Jag sellers tend to be some of the sneakiest liars on the planet.......

Super over reaching stereotyping right there.  This has not been my experience, actually the exact opposite.  The guy I bought my Jaaaag from was 100% honest to a fault.  He even loaned me some tools and helped me do a quick repair in his driveway before driving the car 1000 miles home. (fly and drive)

To the O.P.  Does your mom want a Supercharged convertible?  Listed for $ 6,500

iansane (Forum Supporter)
iansane (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/26/20 2:06 p.m.
fatallightning said:

Just picked up an 01 XKR. Trying to find out the service history so I can see if it has the updated tensioners. Gonna get the Mina rear muffler delete and intake tube. A little more v8 noise and supercharger whine is what the doctor ordered. Maybe an overdrive pulley , the juice don't seem worth the squeeze though, looking at what it takes. Aftermarket wheel fitment seems a little annoying too, since its the not quite 5x120 5x4.75 GM pattern.

If it's like my stype it's 5x108 or 5x4.25.

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
6/26/20 2:18 p.m.

In reply to iansane (Forum Supporter) :

Sadly not, I had an S-type as well. That BCD is definitely from the Ford side of the family tree, the X100 XKs is definitely legacy older Jag.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/26/20 2:21 p.m.

2 days and no Frenchy???

Aw man, y'all got me shopping XJRs again. I can't afford a third car right now. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/26/20 3:25 p.m.

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

Man, if that was alost any other color but red.

6/26/20 7:46 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) said:

Aw man, y'all got me shopping XJRs again. I can't afford a third car right now. 

Truth.  I keep deciding to spend my money on the LeMans and then someone has to stir the pot.

6/26/20 7:49 p.m.
Indy "Nub" Guy said:
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:
......    Jag sellers tend to be some of the sneakiest liars on the planet.......

Super over reaching stereotyping right there.  This has not been my experience, actually the exact opposite.  The guy I bought my Jaaaag from was 100% honest to a fault.  He even loaned me some tools and helped me do a quick repair in his driveway before driving the car 1000 miles home. (fly and drive)

I'm glad you had a good seller, but that was a single experience.  Hoping he/she wasn't the only one.  I've had the exact opposite.  Seems like half the ads I've found say one of the two exact things I listed.  Since when has a transmission been magically fixed with clearing a code, and why didn't the seller do that simple act?

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/20 7:54 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

2 days and no Frenchy???

Shhhhhh

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/26/20 8:17 p.m.

I have a 2000 xjr with 160k. They're "reliable" and parts are affordable and can be a PITA to work on. Y'all make me wanna sell mine see if I can double my money. 

She should get the newest xk she can. They're very good looking cars, especially in coupe. And xkr coupes will def have the best resale value. 

There's a local lady (in her 70s probably) who drives a 2006 xj vandan plas. It's dark blue with white-ish interior and its an absolutely beautiful combination.

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
6/26/20 8:53 p.m.

Why do Y'all do this E36M3.....I just wanna fix the 'V' issues and not be tempted by this...sheesh..thanks for the info thou .....wink  

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/26/20 9:19 p.m.
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) said:

Why do Y'all do this E36M3.....I just wanna fix the 'V' issues and not be tempted by this...sheesh..thanks for the info thou .....wink  

Wanna trade?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Rp1UvGRnaacQR245k0m3IG0HWMFBlQL8TnFG5fUDKKchmOoDjG7X229TmgtJQ8Xl