1 2 3 4
Clay
Clay Reader
5/22/11 6:43 a.m.

Hey guys, I just moved to Japan for a 3 year job assignment working for the Navy (civilian) and I am wanting some insight on what car I should buy. I need something with a backseat for the occasional kid shuttle, but otherwise it will be just a back and forth to work car. I'm wanting somthing I can only get here and there are lots of good deals since I can get the older cars that cost locals alot to keep inspected. Budget is about $8000 or less (maybe 700,000 yen). A local military guy was selling a R32 Skyline GTR for that exact amount, but it disappeared pretty quickly. If I see another GTR in that price range I'll certainly check it out, but they go for a premium as it's the JDM car everyone wants. I'm also thinking a GC8 WRX Sti would be cool or an early EVO. And since I had the engine from one in my SE-R, I'd certainly like a Pulsar GTi-R.

Any other suggestions? I know you guys keep up on these cars so I figured you might have some ideas I haven't considered.

I've been here 2 weeks and I'm loving it. We already bought my wife a 99 Odyssey so she's covered. Took it up to the Mt Fuji area yesterday. Talk about some great driving roads in perfect shape.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid HalfDork
5/22/11 6:59 a.m.

Aren't fuel prices out there a bit of a concern?

Luke
Luke SuperDork
5/22/11 7:15 a.m.

Perhaps an S14 Silvia (SR20DET), Nice AE86, or a non-GTR R32.

If it were me, I'd want something like an old C10 Skyline, but that may not be practical (or affordable, in the case of a GTR.)

If you get the time, I'd love to see some photos.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/22/11 8:37 a.m.

Anything over 25 you can bring back, so I vote for the old stuff as well!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
5/22/11 9:36 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Anything over 25 you can bring back, so I vote for the old stuff as well!

This!!!!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
5/22/11 9:41 a.m.

I may be weird but I like the R30 and R31 Skyline. Early R31s will just be getting into that 25 year old range.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
5/22/11 11:52 a.m.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
5/22/11 11:57 a.m.

Hako Sukairine FTW.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
5/22/11 12:05 p.m.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
5/22/11 12:12 p.m.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
5/22/11 12:16 p.m.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/22/11 12:19 p.m.
ValuePack wrote:

If you buy one of them, don't get one with a slushbox. The manuals are rarer but the slushbox doesn't last very long.

Guess how I found out...

The twin-turbo setup takes some getting used to as there's a gap between the the boost on the smaller turbo falling off and the bigger secondary turbo kicking in.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
5/22/11 12:19 p.m.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/22/11 12:27 p.m.

Forgot to mention - I assume you car still has to pass the Shaken test(s). Keep in mind that these aren't cheap for older cars...

sanman
sanman Reader
5/22/11 12:40 p.m.

MkIV Supras may be a lot cheaper over there. Manual Toyota Soarer coupes as well. Older cars you may want to consider: Older corollas, datsun 510, Toyota Crown coupe, Celica GTV, Nissan Laurel SGX. The second gen skyline might be cheaper, but still classic.

sanman
sanman Reader
5/22/11 12:52 p.m.

Celica GTV

Nissan Laurel SGX

2nd Gen Skyline

Toyota Crown Coupe

Nissan Gloria

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
5/22/11 12:56 p.m.

I am certainly no JDM fanboy and have never really played Grand Turismo so I don't have an infatuation with Skylines

That being said there are a few cars over there I would love to bring over. Most of all a Nissan Pao

And one of those Pininfarina designed Honda Beats

integraguy
integraguy Dork
5/22/11 1:07 p.m.

I've been to Japan, with the Navy, and unless your job pays REALLY well, I would think fuel, vehicle inspection and insurance costs would put many "performance" cars out of your budget.

The good part about your situation? As you probably already know, unlike the "regular" Japanese resident you don't need to prove you have a parking space for any car you buy.

That said, my advice, WHEREVER anyone buys a car, is to buy according to who will be doing the maintenance. If you are able/and feel you can do all your own work at the local base hobby shop....well, the sky (or should I say Skyline?) is the limit. If someone else will be doing the work, well, gas isn't all that's expensive in Japan.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
5/22/11 5:07 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: I am certainly no JDM fanboy and have never really played Grand Turismo so I don't have an infatuation with Skylines That being said there are a few cars over there I would love to bring over. Most of all a Nissan Pao And one of those Pininfarina designed Honda Beats

These are good real-world suggestions, since most of those classics will be tough to track down. That Pao is rad.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
5/22/11 5:22 p.m.

I really want an 87 or 88 Honda Accord Aerodeck 2.0Si. It needs to have a manual transmission and a B20 engine. It will be under the 25 year rule when you come back, and you'd have a buyer lined up (me) as soon as you hit the states.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/22/11 9:40 p.m.
modernbeat
modernbeat Dork
5/22/11 10:01 p.m.

Look for an '89 R32. When you return to the US three years from now it will be 25 years old and eligible for import.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
5/23/11 8:13 a.m.

Celica ST202 SS-II. (BEAMS 3sge goodness.)

donalson
donalson SuperDork
5/23/11 10:23 a.m.

being a civilian do you still get some of the military "perks" like shopping on base/post? how bout the hobby shop? I assume you "live on the economy"?

sorry no advise on the car... sounds like an awesome time in life though :)

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/23/11 10:39 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Celica ST202 SS-II. (BEAMS 3sge goodness.)

I very much approve of the above list.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c0TlVN7m2O6MJi9DtHSNVXyEU4oNAoNoFC0wj4x3fdP7cIWHoVwxx4IDryWYSIJx