1 2 3 4
wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
7/27/11 7:51 p.m.
hotg54b wrote: Mazda RX-7 Spirit R

Does this come in 3-rotor in Japan? I vote for a 25 year old 3-rotor Mazda and bring it back.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
7/27/11 7:52 p.m.
Sultan wrote: Too bad you need a four-seater. I would have suggested an Autozam (Mazda) AZ-1

I had to lol, both are actually Suzukis (notice front logo and suzuki sport decal on the side)?

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 New Reader
7/27/11 8:13 p.m.

:drool: wish I could have this shipped over.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
7/27/11 8:45 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
Sultan wrote: Too bad you need a four-seater. I would have suggested an Autozam (Mazda) AZ-1
I had to lol, both are actually Suzukis (notice front logo and suzuki sport decal on the side)?

The Autozam (Mazda) AZ-1 was also sold as the Suzuki Cara.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
7/27/11 8:52 p.m.
wlkelley3 wrote:
Does this come in 3-rotor in Japan?

Nope. The 20B three-rotor, twin-turbo Wankel only came in this car, the 1990-1995 Mazda Cosmo:

20Bs are available from JDM engine importers and swap into FCs and FDs pretty easily, but they are very expensive (most places charge around $4000!).

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
7/27/11 9:08 p.m.
RexSeven wrote:
wlkelley3 wrote:
Does this come in 3-rotor in Japan?
Nope. The 20B three-rotor, twin-turbo Wankel only came in this car, the 1990-1995 Mazda Cosmo: 20Bs are available from JDM engine importers and swap into FCs and FDs pretty easily, but they are very expensive (most places charge around $4000!).

Didn't think so, thought only Cosmo but don't keep up with JDM (yo ). Then this is my vote and bring it back. You can see the profit potential for one.
Guess my daughter should have bought that one she found at Import Alliance a couple weeks ago for $2500 and just hang on and flip. She wanted to put it in the Miata. Will admit I thought evil thoughts in my RX8.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
7/27/11 9:43 p.m.

In reply to wlkelley3:

20B in a Miata!

modernbeat
modernbeat Dork
7/27/11 10:54 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: In reply to wlkelley3: 20B in a Miata!

20B in a Miata.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
7/28/11 7:48 a.m.

20B in an AE86. (No, seriously... there's follow up videos on youtube.)

This thing is INSANE. I want it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIbgFF0nkSY

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
7/28/11 12:12 p.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac:

Holy berkeley!

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
7/28/11 12:18 p.m.

In the follow up videos, you get to see how far back he had to move the firewall to make the motor fit. He damn near drives from the back seat.

AquaHusky
AquaHusky Reader
7/28/11 8:20 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: 20B in an AE86. (No, seriously... there's follow up videos on youtube.) This thing is INSANE. I want it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIbgFF0nkSY

I laughed hard just from the guys in the camera car. Especially at the end.

Clay
Clay HalfDork
12/19/11 6:14 a.m.

Hey guys, It's been awhile since I've updated this thread and that's because I don't have much interesting car stuff to share. I have had the unfortunate luck to beat all the odds and actually have my car stolen here in Japan. While out of town for a 4 week training in the States, my Evo was stolen from it's secluded parking spot behind a house. In front of the house was a Odyssey easily worth 5 times the money and a Civic Si worth even more was 100 feet away. Still, I guess it was the perfect car to steal in that it was old enough to steal easily, but rare enough to be worth something in parts. Anyway, I only had liability (like everyone else) so it was a total loss. In fact, the insurance lady said nobody buys theft insurance as cars are so rarely stolen. She had never even heard of a car being stolen in her 3 years of handling all car insurance on base! I also had most of my tools in the trunk and all my tennis gear (8 racquets, shoes, etc). So that sucked too. I bought a cheap boring Honda Capa from on base for $2200 to get me by until my cash flow improves enough to buy something else. But it's funny I actually really like the Capa. It's the perfect car for Japanese streets as it fits anywhere and is very easy to park. Completely practical and there's no chance anyone will want to steal it! In hind site, I'm very glad I only paid $3500 for the Evo and even though it was an awesome car, it was just a car. Well, enough of the pity party, I'll include a few pictures of cars to close this out!

A sweet WRX STi on base.

A cool Fit RS Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

An Evo wagon at the train station Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I've seen a couple of these Mitsubishis, but I'm not sure what they are. They look cool though. Image Hosted by ImageShack.us A Toyota IQ dolled up with Lexus badges and big wheels. Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Our current fleet. A 99 Odyssey and 98 Capa. It seems like 50% of cars here are Silver! Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

gamby
gamby SuperDork
12/19/11 11:35 p.m.

Wow, the theft is a real bummer. I'd think it would be WAY less common over there than here. That said--even if I were in Japan, I wouldn't leave thousands of dollars of stuff in my car. Please bring your stuff inside in the future!!!

What's the deal with the Fit RS? Is it just an appearance package or does it actually have more oomph???

Grizz
Grizz HalfDork
12/19/11 11:49 p.m.
Clay wrote: I've seen a couple of these Mitsubishis, but I'm not sure what they are. They look cool though. Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Tis a Colt:

I want one. Available with a 150hp turbo motor. Yum.

Clay
Clay HalfDork
12/28/11 5:55 a.m.

Sorry for the slow respone. Yeah, it sucked all the stuff in the trunk of my car getting stolen, but it wasn't that much money. The racquets were worth probably $250. The tools another $250 or so. Could have been worse.

In better news, I finally got to the nearest UpGarage to check it out. It is cool to say the least and the prices were just amazing. I wish I had gotten more pics, but below are a few. Many many sets of wheels and tires. Two Miata hardtops.. one for $350 the other for $450. I even picked up a used turbo for myself. I have absolutely no use for it at the moment, but it was too good of a deal to pass up. Anyway, here are the pics.

My son on the coilovers aisle

Steering wheels. Starting at $25 or so

Skyline GTR turbos. Both for $100. They also had a set of Z32 turbos for a little less.

Some WRX Sti seats. $100 for the pair.

Cam covers, cams, clutches

ID plate on the S14 turbo I picked up. It's the same as a GT2560R. Cost me 2990 Yen or about $35.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
12/28/11 7:57 a.m.

I want one of those.

Clay
Clay HalfDork
1/17/12 6:51 a.m.

My son and I went to the Tokyo Auto Salon. Here are some pictures if anyone wants to check them out...

https://picasaweb.google.com/claymac75/TokyoAutoSalon2012

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/17/12 7:23 a.m.

autozam az1 http://mazdacars.kamikaze-drive.com/AZ1006.htm

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o0bKVUTEDVUVLfw48S0J8Smv9IN4Li2kdGnqOW8Om03rbFcsI0bnDdyr0mmAz083