kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/16/13 9:51 a.m.

JHs seem to be a stepchild of the Sports car world. From a performance standpoint, they aren't so bad, but IMO they just aren't that pretty. The good news is that in Northen California, you can find well preserved driveway specials for a song. Seems to me that they'd be a good candidate for a transplant - from a Miata 1.8 to a LSX. A 1.8 Miata mill would be a comparable output to the original motor with better reliability. And I'm thinking that flares would really help the look of the slab sides.

Anybody have input? Inspired or folly? Or both?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/16/13 9:54 a.m.

The next issue of Classic Motorsports--in the mail right now--happens to have a buyer guide on these cars.

Plus I just saw one featured in a yogurt ad.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
1/16/13 10:06 a.m.
ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
1/16/13 10:10 a.m.

Not sure I'd both doing an engine swap into one. The Lotus engine is what makes them unique. Otherwise you may as well go with an easier to source parts for MG B or something.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/16/13 10:18 a.m.

Curmudgeon has one. He will respond soon

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/16/13 10:20 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Curmudgeon has two. He will respond soon

FTFY

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/16/13 11:23 a.m.

Following this with interest, and looking forward to the new CM!

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
1/16/13 11:33 a.m.

The Lotus engine may make them unique, but not vastly great. They are surprisingly light weight for their size. The engine bay is a nice expanse that should swallow a V8 nicely.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
1/16/13 11:50 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Curmudgeon is insane. He will respond soon
FTFY

FTFY

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/16/13 12:09 p.m.
ddavidv wrote: The Lotus engine may make them unique, but not vastly great. They are surprisingly light weight for their size. The engine bay is a nice expanse that should swallow a V8 nicely.

They also look to be long-nosed enough to set the engine in back of the front wheels for weight distribution.

I don't believe in chopping up classics, but these just aren't worth that much. A good rebuild on the Lotus-derived engine might exceed the value of the car.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/16/13 12:20 p.m.

While we're waiting for him to drop by with more details, this is what Curmudgeon said when I mentioned one of these in the hotlink thread.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
1/16/13 1:19 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: The next issue of Classic Motorsports--in the mail right now--happens to have a buyer guide on these cars. Plus I just saw one featured in a yogurt ad.

The car was well featured in that ad. I was surprised to see it. IIRC, there were some shots that included images of the dashboard.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/16/13 1:45 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
FTFY

Two? Ugh. I've been away too long.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
1/16/13 4:34 p.m.

A friend had one 15-20 years ago. IIRC he'd swapped in a GM/Rover 215 ci V-8 after the stock engine failed.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
1/16/13 4:35 p.m.

Wow,after several years on this board, the post above makes me a HalfDork.

Toyman01
1/16/13 4:38 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote:
Toyman01 wrote:
FTFY
Two? Ugh. I've been away too long.

Yeah, he's still got the restored one. After he sold me the Abomination he raped another Jensen to make the Jensenator. LBC + Rotary + custom suspension = Curmudgeon's own special kind of insanity.

Of course he's had V8s on the brain for the last couple of months because the Jensen engine bay is huge.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/16/13 6:14 p.m.

Jensen-Healey + yogurt:

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7w1E/dannon-light-and-fit-greek-yogurt-no-ordinary-low-fat-yogurt

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
1/16/13 8:18 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: The next issue of Classic Motorsports--in the mail right now--happens to have a buyer guide on these cars. Plus I just saw one featured in a yogurt ad.

It's about damn time.

The J-H is probably the most underappreciated LBC out there. That's fine, it keeps the prices down for the insane such as myself. There's the Mk1 (1972-73), Mk2 (1973-74) JH5 (1974-75) and GT (1976 only). Total production was around 10,700 cars, 509 of which were GT's (511 if you count the two cars completed after they went into bankruptcy).

Styling, well love it or hate it it was definitely a big change from the conventional LBC's of the era and (IMHO) looked a lot better than the British Leyland approach to the US 5 mph bumper requirements. I personally think it's a much better looking car than the TR7.

One magazine said it looked like a codfish eating a candy bar.

The interior is a lot roomier and more comfortable than an MGB or TR6 (and I should know, I've owned both of them). Works well for a big guy like me.

Performance? One contemporary British magazine put it up against a 240Z and the J-H beat it in every category except fit and finish, something the Japanese had down pat in that era.

The 907 Lotus is a revvy fun motor which makes about the same HP as the Miata motor, it was rated at 144 HP at 5800 RPM with a 7250 RPM redline. Strong numbers for 1972, when it hit the streets. It does have its idiosyncracies. The early engines had a rope type rear seal which leaked like a screen door in a submarine, those engines also typically had oil leaks up top as well. That was for roughly the first 6 months of production, and due to Jensen being generous with warranty claims that Lotus refused to pay (that led to Jensen's demise, but that's another story) the vast majority have the updated cranks and rear seals which are actually not bad. The motors will last well too, there's a JHPS member with over 400K miles on the stock bottom end, he's been through the valves once. That valve thing is the engine's biggest weak point; it uses shims under the tappets to adjust the valve clearance which makes it a time consuming job and thus pricey for those who can't DIY. So it gets ignored and a valve burns. Next is the water pump, they have been known to seize and practically explode. The reman pumps available now are reasonably priced and the explosion thing is not a concern.

907 parts are readily available and are actually not vastly overpriced, with the exception of main and rod bearings. The JHPS is working on a supplier to come up with some reasonably priced drop in replacements. There's another route: the block can be line bored to use small block Mopar main bearings (which will give you some idea of how overbuilt the engine is). Hopup stuff is easly available: a 2.2 crank kit with JE pistons and a set of Dellorto sidedrafts will give a solid 220 HP. There's reports of a FI version of that motor in Blighty which also has FI and makes about 275. Turbo versions are out there, the Esprit Turbo is the same basic motor and yes they have been transplanted.

They put in respectable skidpad numbers for the time. They did not have front or rear sway bars, but much like a Fiat X 1/9 didn't really need them.

Brakes are disc front/drum rear and are very strong, they stop very well and do not fade easily, at least in street and AX driving. The front rotors are non vented. TR7 calipers are an easy bolt on swap for even better braking. The rear axles just don't give trouble.

My rotary powered version was a super simple swap because the engine compartment is so big. I have thought about doing a Lexus V8 swap, but I think I'll probably go turbo 13B instead. Not that the swap would be hard, I want to keep the overall weight down.

I can ramble for hours but instead I'll STFU. If you have a specific question, post it or PM me.

Toyman01
1/16/13 8:39 p.m.

In reply to Curmudgeon:

You do know we heard you the first time.

You really didn't need to repeat it...twice.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
1/16/13 8:40 p.m.

A J-H is on my bucket list of cars to own. IMO it's the big rubber block bumper that make it look so unwieldy. Make mine a 74 1/2 or later with the dogleg 5-speed please.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
1/16/13 8:41 p.m.

?? Dunno WTF happened there. Must have been Lucas board code or something.

Toyman01
1/16/13 8:45 p.m.

Probably the oil dripping on the keyboard. Knowing you, you are under the car, planning your next trip down wicked lane.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qc443L4RjV7yVOIYEaGvARUrdC0qaqEd9cB5Fs04HizIyX5YnsWbkSnwYIAl9sMs