Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
2/13/20 9:34 a.m.
feature_image

Today at 3 p.m. EST, Toyota will unveil the 2021 Supra at Daytona International Speedway, just before the Daytona 500 weekend. There are already numerous theories surrounding the new car--like the possibility that we could get the four-cylinder version available in Japan and Europe--and we are intrigued to see what Toyota has up its sleeve.

What are you looking forward to most? What are you hoping to get out …

Read the rest of the story

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
2/13/20 10:22 a.m.
Colin Wood said:

What are you looking forward to most? What are you hoping to get out of the 2021 Supra?

A proper motor engineered and manufactured by Toyota,  in Japan . 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
2/13/20 10:46 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
Colin Wood said:

What are you looking forward to most? What are you hoping to get out of the 2021 Supra?

I'd take one with a 2UZ V8

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
2/13/20 11:11 a.m.
Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
2/13/20 1:30 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:
mr2s2000elise said:
Colin Wood said:

I'd take one with a 2UR V8

Ftfy

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/13/20 2:36 p.m.

4cyl will have a mechanical diff in lieu of the e diff in the 6cyl cars. Sounds like a great sleep of updates across the board. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
2/13/20 10:04 p.m.

I'm pretty amazed, I have yet to see one of these on the road. The county I live in is full of "whatever the hot new thing is" and plenty of them. Any expensive new car of any type, I usually see a dozen of them a week after they go on sale. Hell, I've seen a half-dozen (new) NSXs in the last couple months.

Not.One.Single.Supra.

Supposedly they sold about 3,000 of them in 2019. That's not far below the FT86 (which I see all the time). 

Anyhow, just odd. 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
2/13/20 10:50 p.m.
irish44j said:

I'm pretty amazed, I have yet to see one of these on the road. The county I live in is full of "whatever the hot new thing is" and plenty of them. Any expensive new car of any type, I usually see a dozen of them a week after they go on sale. Hell, I've seen a half-dozen (new) NSXs in the last couple months.

Not.One.Single.Supra.

Supposedly they sold about 3,000 of them in 2019. That's not far below the FT86 (which I see all the time). 

Anyhow, just odd. 

Same here, all kinds of expensive exotics etc. Heck there was a beautiful new Rolls Royce in the supermarket parking lot last time I went grocery shopping. Haven't seen a new Supra yet.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/13/20 11:11 p.m.

I saw one at my last track day at Palmer...  Unfortunately, he was just visiting and only went out on the parade laps :(

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/14/20 4:59 a.m.
NOT A TA said:
irish44j said:

Not.One.Single.Supra.

Anyhow, just odd. 

Same here, all kinds of expensive exotics etc. Heck there was a beautiful new Rolls Royce in the supermarket parking lot last time I went grocery shopping. Haven't seen a new Supra yet.

I mean........the Twins have been on sale for 7 years, so I'd expect you'd see more of them than a car that's been for sale for 7 months.....that also happens to be nearly twice as expensive?

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
2/14/20 7:28 a.m.

I think the new lower cost of entry will be good for sales.  Like the guys above, I've only ever seen one of these things on the street. 

My unpopular opinion: the new Supra is shockingly ugly.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/14/20 7:36 a.m.
NOT A TA said:
irish44j said:

Not.One.Single.Supra.

Anyhow, just odd. 

I have seen 1 since release.  I have seen 2 r35s, multiple 911 turbo s', a few bentleys, I see model s' every day, a few AMG GT's. In that same time.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/20 7:38 a.m.

I was underwhelmed when it first came out and nothing has changed. 

The Supra was a it's own thing when Toyota made it. Now it is just another ugly BMW variation.  

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/14/20 9:15 a.m.

I see a red one at work every so often. I think they're beautiful in person. 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/14/20 9:39 a.m.

I've seen one on the road and liked it 100x better than in pictures.

I could be totally off base here but I think they missed the mark for those who really wanted to see a Supra again. Instead, it's really just a new Toyota sports car that seems to be searching for an audience. I'm not sure how many non-enthusiasts are looking to have a cool Toyota and my general sense is enthusiasts are not excited about it... I have no idea about the sales numbers but I'm on the road a lot and have only seen the one.

It's sort of beating a dead horse with this conversation but if it had been offered with a manual trans, even being a Z4 in disguise, I likely would have tried to figure a way to stretch and get one myself. I think bringing an I6, RWD, manual trans car to market would garner some good interest. 

What do I know. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/14/20 9:57 a.m.

I was super interested in it until my 135 experience. 

I just don't trust the reliability of BMW stuff to actually stand up to being used.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
2/14/20 3:25 p.m.

I've seen several in person, and think they look nice.  They sound fantastic also.  As a many time owner of both Toyotas and BMWs, the marriage could be worse.  We also used to race TT Supras.  I personally don't have an issue with the new ones, in fact I like them better than the new Corvette.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
2/14/20 7:32 p.m.
irish44j said:

Not.One.Single.Supra.

Anyhow, just odd. 

I went to a Toyota dealer in SoCal and somehow walked right past a Supra because I was drooling over the British Racing Green 86s they have on the lot. When i turned around to talk to a salesman he pointed out the Supra behind him and said "huh didn't even see it there." My take is you've probably driven by one but didn't even know it because they are so underwhelming. Now I've seen plenty of new Z4s on the road. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
2/14/20 10:29 p.m.
z31maniac said:
NOT A TA said:
irish44j said:

Not.One.Single.Supra.

Anyhow, just odd. 

I mean........the Twins have been on sale for 7 years, so I'd expect you'd see more of them than a car that's been for sale for 7 months.....that also happens to be nearly twice as expensive?

Well yeah, I didn't really express that right. I was just surprised the numbers are so similar since it seems there are a billion of the twins driving around out there.  it wasn't meant to be a comparison of how many of each I see. 

In this area, price probably isn't the factor. When the G29 BMW Z4 came out, I started seeing them daily almost immediately and see them all the time (those have been in production for 3 years). Now, DC area has the money but isn't as much into the "bling" as LA or Miami or whatever - so maybe people just prefer the more "refined" looking cars (like the Z4 vs the Supra). 

IDK, just thought it was curious. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
2/17/20 9:12 p.m.

Finally saw a Supra in person today....

Ok, I'll admit, it does look better in person. Still kind of strange and can't say I love it. But I don't dislike it as much as I did.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OUe6Dham28P3zXztzrFMvo6edtQVszPSOwnewPqh7mVPn2u7w1pwsXIie0KSzMdB