maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/25/19 3:37 p.m.

It's a few too many hose clamps above the exhaust for my comfort, but it doesn't leak so far. What would you do differently? (on a Challenge budget)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
7/25/19 3:40 p.m.

If the line running through the firewall is metal, can you tee into that?  I sure see a lot of potential leak points right on top of the header.  Hardline tee is also less components hitting the budget.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/19 3:50 p.m.

Threaded 90 degree fitting into the T you put in to the soft line line that the hard line then threads directly into.  It gets rid of all the transition stuff from the T to the hard line you have and you can shorten the hard line and it becomes a strait shot in to the 90 degree fitting.

maschinenbau
7/25/19 4:04 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

It is a single steel line from tank to underhood. The current tee is a 5/16 hose barb tee. So you're thinking something like:

Chassis hard line to tee -> hard line to barb near engine -> short hose from barb to engine barb

On the other tee:

Tee -> hard line -> solenoid

I will need more fittings, but probably budget neutral compared to what's on it now.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
7/25/19 4:19 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Yep.  I'm surprised there aren't enough already in-budget fittings from your various purchases to make it happen, I already see one flare fitting in the photo.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/19 5:20 p.m.

Technically, you’re running afoul of fuel line routing rules by having an unprotected line on the firewall between the frame rails, and you may have too much hose, but it depends on the tech inspector.  

maschinenbau
7/25/19 6:11 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I couldn't find a rule about that, but I did read you can't have any more than 12" total of non-metallic fuel line. So I might be in violation there.

Patrick
7/25/19 6:19 p.m.

Fuel lines (except steel braided lines) in the
flywheel/bellhousing area must be enclosed in a 16-inch length of
steel tubing, 1/8-inch-minimum wall thickness, securely mounted as
a protection against fuel-line rupture.

i’m assuming above the bellhousing is “in the bellhousing area”.  I know you can’t have any regulator, tee, or distribution block within 6” fore/aft of the firewall.

maschinenbau
7/25/19 8:49 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Yikes. I might have some re-plumbing to do. I'm hitting the strip tomorrow night so I'm sure they'll find plenty of other stuff to unsketchify. If I come home with nothing but a list of fixes instead of time slips it will still be worth it.

Patrick
7/25/19 9:02 p.m.

Great attitude. Either way is a step forward, but i’d rather hear about how quick you went.

i try to be absolutely by the rulebook guy because the nearest tracks are too long a hike to get told to put it back on the trailer and fix things.  

maschinenbau
8/15/19 1:57 p.m.

Drag tech didn't even look under the hood, but Patrick's right I had too much hose. This should fly at any strip:

They only cared about my filing cabinet drawer battery box, but still let me run.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
8/15/19 2:47 p.m.

Looks good.  How did she do at the strip? wink

maschinenbau
8/15/19 2:57 p.m.

Deeeecent! 13.6 with a 40 shot, 14.2 NA. Both 2.1 60ft.

Excuses: driver can't launch, dragging a stuck brake caliper (HOT hub!), and pedal hit the floor at only 90% WOT. Very excited to try again!

And 150 mile round trip

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q8ie15sDKlAUX16g6l6bXg635g22lKfPX59svT0qTNSckPZeuPbhhPM1uRKun6nA