1 2 3
e_pie
e_pie Reader
4/30/12 11:35 p.m.

Against my better judgement I've decided to put together a junkyard boom box. Just wondering what cars I should look at in the junkyards for some good speakers. I know BWMs typically had good sound systems, as did some of the P71 variants, as well as most luxury cars.

Is there anything in specific I should look out for?

Josh
Josh SuperDork
4/30/12 11:44 p.m.

The factory system in my v70r is very good, I don't know if the lesser models got similar stuff though.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
5/1/12 12:51 a.m.

the system in my 94 Chrysler LHS was simply amazing.. it has 7 separate speakers and a 500 watt amp in the trunk. it was a true surround sound system.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
5/1/12 12:52 a.m.

some SAAB's had Harmon Kardons.

Josh
Josh SuperDork
5/1/12 5:08 a.m.

Yeah, the infinity systems in 90s chryslers are ones to look for also.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/1/12 6:25 a.m.

Some early 2000's Subarus came with McIntosh systems. Dunno a lot about them, but they are supposed to be the shizznit.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
5/1/12 6:44 a.m.

GMs had Bose speakers for years, many 94+ Mustangs has the "Mach 460" system--I forget what the speakers were.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
5/1/12 7:36 a.m.

I know 90s Avalons had Bose, as well as all infiniti G20s...with 100 watt amps.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
5/1/12 9:05 a.m.

Lexus LS400 had Nakamichi or Mark Levinson sound systems, both had good speakers. The amps and head units are worth money on eBay too so if you find one pull either or both and sell them for $100/ea!

DrBoost
DrBoost UberDork
5/1/12 10:14 a.m.

Some newer VW's have Mark Levinson systems. You'll need to put a check engine light on the box somewhere though.
I'll third the Chrysler Infinity systems. They were shockingly good.

e_pie
e_pie Reader
5/1/12 10:29 a.m.

Didn't even think to check the Chryslers, I'll have to go scout them out.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer New Reader
5/1/12 10:51 a.m.

I believe the Lexus LS originally had a Monsoon sound system, as well as check out for any newer Audi A6 or A8 Models. Really good tweeters and amplifier.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer New Reader
5/1/12 10:53 a.m.

Bingo! Lincoln LS with the THX sound system. amazing quality, and somewhat easy to find.

Cuda
Cuda New Reader
5/1/12 11:52 a.m.
ST_ZX2 wrote: GMs had Bose speakers for years, many 94+ Mustangs has the "Mach 460" system--I forget what the speakers were.

Almost positive they were Bose. And the 460 Amp is in the trunk.

AutoXR
AutoXR HalfDork
5/1/12 1:20 p.m.

Look for an early 2000's outback with the McIntosh

DrBoost
DrBoost UberDork
5/1/12 2:04 p.m.

Not a fan of Bose. Without the propriety amp/crossover/enclosures they are usually underwhelming.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
5/1/12 2:44 p.m.

In reply to e_pie: I would think the BMW systems would be ones to avoid, they use three way speaker systems instead of the simpler and more common two way systems.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/1/12 3:30 p.m.

JBL worked with Ford for a while and Polk does somebody's.

Bose gets its sound from the R&D on their enclosures and careful placement. The drivers themselves are nothing to write home about. I pulled a couple 8" mid-subs out of an explorer once and used them in my wife's Tercel with pretty fair results.

The bottom line is that OEM speakers (even if they're JBL or Bose) are usually manufactured to really crappy specs. Instead of putting good expensive speakers in, they do a one-time expensive acoustical R&D, then fill with cheap drivers. In the long run it saves big bucks.

Keep in mind also that many of the premium sound systems use some odd things; odd resistance, dedicated amps, and interesting sizes. That's not really a big deal as long as you know what they are and engineer things to suit. For instance, the Bose setup in many of the older BMWs uses an oddball 1.6 ohm resistance. As long as your amp is stable below 2 ohms you're fine, but many amps would fry.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
5/1/12 4:32 p.m.

I've seen .5 ohm stuff, too.

Instead of searching for OEM stuff, search for aftermarket. I've had some very good aftermarket speaker scores in the junkyards. My last score was a set of Infinity Kappa 6.5 component speakers. Those went on eBay. They charged me for the pair of woofers, but none of the rest, so I had $6 in the set.

I used to stockpile speakers when I found good deals on them. All of my friends had decent stereos, even if they couldn't afford a cheap sub.

frenchy
frenchy New Reader
5/1/12 5:14 p.m.

Check out parts express. They have new stuff for cheap. Probably cheaper than what a junkyard would charge you. Or, I have some old Boston Accoustic 6.5 all range speakers in my garage, they were in my moms old prelude. They still sounded good when that car died. You can have them if you want to pay shipping.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo HalfDork
5/1/12 6:09 p.m.

I dont get what you are trying to do.

Is it a boombox to carry to the junkyard? Get one of those armored Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita, etc construction radios. They double as a charger and some will run off the same rechargables your power tools run. Although you will look like a fool running down your Sawzall because you had to hear some Dokken. An awesome fool, but a fool none the less.

Are you trying to piece together a home system from salvaged automobile components? If so, why? Unless you have a 15+ amp regulated 12 volt power supply collecting dust and are into ugly, unfunctional things, just buy a decent used shelf system off Craigslist and be done.

Do you just want to DIY something? Buy some good components from Parts Express, follow their kit directions, and you will end up with some good sounding, good looking speakers that will actually work with stuff.

Are you trying to upgrade the sound in an existing vehicle? Just use aftermarket stuff. Even the cheapest aftermarket stuff (Pyle, Lightning, Sony, Boss) that Wal-Mart sells still sounds several magnitudes better than stock unless your car already had premium sound, and in that case just leave the premium sound in place.

Josh
Josh SuperDork
5/1/12 6:39 p.m.
93gsxturbo wrote: I dont get what you are trying to do.

Must there be a logical reason for everything?

http://jalopnik.com/265438/turbo-ii-junkyard-boogaloo-+-part-2-how-to

Fit_Is_Slo
Fit_Is_Slo HalfDork
5/1/12 8:12 p.m.

My caravan has a infinity cassette player lol

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
5/1/12 9:51 p.m.

the Turbo II is inspiring.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
5/2/12 8:01 a.m.