Stuc
Stuc Reader
6/2/08 10:27 p.m.

Hey again. So, I had a topic like this in the past where I was looking for fellow readers' experience with oem cooling fans available in junkyards.

The general consensus was to get one from a Ford Taurus with the 2 or 3 speeds. Well, I did, but I ended up changing my design so it doesn't fit any more.

What do you all feel is the best fan that is max. 12" in diameter (including shroud) and not too thick (2")?

It's cooling a 4AG 20V and a large aftermarket aluminum radiator.

stumpmj
stumpmj HalfDork
6/3/08 8:05 a.m.

Well I can tell you this, two Miata fans won't cool a Mk2 Supra Lemons car after you remove a mechanical fan. Trust me.

The car will survive overheating until the engine siezes twice...

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/3/08 8:19 a.m.

The Ford Contour V6 fan (all dual fan) is my "GO TO" unit. Lots of them in the yards, easy to wire and are just about the right size for everything bigger than a Scirocco and smaller than a K3500.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
6/3/08 8:33 a.m.
John Brown wrote: The Ford Contour V6 fan (all dual fan) is my "GO TO" unit. Lots of them in the yards, easy to wire and are just about the right size for everything bigger than a Scirocco and smaller than a K3500.

Hmmm...I might need to look at one of those for my '90 325i. I'd like to get rid of the clutch fan soon.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
6/3/08 9:45 a.m.

How much power is the motor making? Radiated heat is almost directly proportional to power (i.e. find a fan from something with the same hp). With a large aluminum radiator, it shouldn't take much to cool it.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/3/08 10:28 a.m.

If it is the radiator in your avatar, that thing is friggin huge for a 4A.

Put whatever fits on there.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 New Reader
6/3/08 12:16 p.m.

90-93 Celica GT Fan. Does pretty well, and it's not too tiny. Easily fits your 2" requirment, and may be a little bigger than 12", though. Plus, they SOUND evil.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 None
6/3/08 12:32 p.m.

Proform makes a 1200cfm 12" unit for only 50-55 brand new.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
6/3/08 3:16 p.m.

Grassroots article opportunity

alert!

alert!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Wy0Jpt82eniGIEOkRhJvZqACXaQB5jfVfAPkupTPFA6xHT5CEBCajNIzHWfeKKpT