Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
5/15/23 1:55 p.m.

Hi everybody, just wanted to post a quick reminder that we're still looking for a talented salesperson to join the team. You can make a great living, work from home, and do it all in an industry that's way more fun than whatever normal people do all day.

Details:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/employment/

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
5/15/23 2:08 p.m.

Think a civil engineer's skills will translate? I wouldn't hate a career change at this point. 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
5/15/23 2:27 p.m.

Tom, is that a Mon-Fri 9-5 type thing or flexible?  Asking for a friend...well, ok, my wife.

Tom Suddard
5/15/23 3:06 p.m.

It's a M-F 9-5 thing (actually only half days on Fridays). We're pretty flexible if kids need a ride from school in the afternoons, dr. appointments, etc. etc., but we're looking for a full-time employee.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/23 3:07 p.m.

Note that the ability to complete a project car, or even to get one running and operational, is not required. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/15/23 4:12 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

It's a M-F 9-5 thing (actually only half days on Friday.

Successful sales is never a 9-5 gig.  Hit the road - get to the customer - get to the events.  Press the flesh. See the people.  Shake some hands.  

Sometimes I'm a "get off my lawn" guy but I'm able to fake it for my job (hose sales).  My wife can hear me in my office when I WFH and she acts surprised - "wow, it sounds like honey's dripping off your lips when you're on the phone with customers".

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/17/23 2:47 p.m.

^ agree with the above- however this sound like a sales gig that is more fun than most. 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/17/23 2:51 p.m.

Open interviews next weekend? 

Asking for a fiend.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/17/23 2:58 p.m.

In all seriousness, how much cold calls and travel? Cold calls is the worst part of my current sales job in industrial repair

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
5/17/23 4:53 p.m.

Dig Into The Famous Meatball Omelet At Dominick's Diner In ...

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/17/23 4:58 p.m.
QuasiMofo (John Brown) said:

Asking for a fiend.

That typo is gold!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/17/23 5:04 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Cold calls is the worst part of my current sales job in industrial repair

Naw, you gotta look differently at cold calls. 

1. Ask - are you happy with your current supplier?

Yes? No reason to change - keep me as a backup source or a replacement guy if your current guy starts to go bad.  Try me on a few prices to keep your guy honest.  You never know when you might need a backup source.  Covid taught us to have backup sources. 

No? Then let me tell you what we do best........

Your job is an educator - teach them what you have. Educate them on their options.  

Three weeks ago I cold called a hose shop and the guy was totally hacked with his current supplier.  Yesterday he said he's ready to place an order with me.  The odds get better the more times you show up and make those calls.  Making truly cold calls in Duluth, MN in January are key - they sometimes feel if you make the effort.........

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/17/23 5:18 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

That is pretty much exactly my approach to it. If they're happy with their current guy I ain't going to mess with it. It's the way I want to be treated. We also do stuff outside of the normal motor shop that I have found that some plants need so we wind up with that business while they're sending their electric repair over to whoever they've been using already

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/17/23 6:05 p.m.

Im tempted to send in a second app.

Still consider myself a strong candidate for this position.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/17/23 6:09 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Always check back - they're happy today. Tomorrow might be a different story.  

Also - always show up with new information.  Sometimes you gotta fake it - we're promoting a special on Capacitors this week......never show up to just "check-in".

Tom Suddard
5/19/23 9:28 a.m.

Just bumping this up for the weekend crowd--still looking for the right fit. 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
5/19/23 10:48 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:
QuasiMofo (John Brown) said:

Asking for a fiend.

That typo is gold!

That is no typo devil

stroker
stroker PowerDork
5/19/23 11:39 a.m.

I'm assuming if I don't know what the acronym "CRM" means then I'm not a good fit...  :(

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
5/19/23 4:38 p.m.

I  don't know if my cyber security or management skills or experience will cross over but I once sold cars and once was a uniform salesman for athletic wear. 

In-office or remote position? 

Will you roll my current project cars under your umbrella? 

Is a previous book of business handed over or would one have to find their own leads? 

Wizard_Of_Maz
Wizard_Of_Maz Reader
5/21/23 6:02 p.m.

Just sent Kevin an email - seems like a super cool opportunity

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
5/21/23 7:13 p.m.
stroker said:

I'm assuming if I don't know what the acronym "CRM" means then I'm not a good fit...  :(

Cannot Remember Monday

It's a drinking challenge. You pound them all weekend and any promises made are exempt on Monday. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/21/23 10:00 p.m.

Sounds like a good gig for someone. I likely meet at least some, if not most, of the requirements but not enough to realistic apply. That section about CRM systems is my biggest failing. I may ask around next week though regardless.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/25/23 8:49 p.m.

As of Tuesday, I am unemployed. I am doubtful that I have enough of what you're looking for, but I will be sending in an application either tonight or tomorrow morning. I have no formal sales training or experience, but I once sold my dad on the idea that a SAAB would be a reliable car, so that should count for something. 

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
5/26/23 12:45 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said: ... Successful sales is never a 9-5 gig.  Hit the road - get to the customer - get to the events.  Press the flesh. See the people.  Shake some hands.  

This. The few successful real estate agents I know are always working their contacts, morning, noon, and night. Being successful isn't random chance, it's hard work, something it seems, more and more people want to avoid.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Uh7Pn4oE1bbRiM5vqUSCTpoTVutM6oRdKbDU8bilTPcofjc8G2wZKsClZEPd19Ol