1 2 3 4
BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/21/19 6:57 a.m.

That it's all braced up with just a bunch of structural steel (C channel and that WF in the back) speaks very deeply to me.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/21/19 6:58 a.m.

So, the big question for the rest of the class: Would you rock it?

I'd be happy to test it for 5000miles and some track laps the week before Mother's Day, starting/finishing in South Bend.  devil

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/19 7:07 a.m.

That would be a fun toy. I would drive one. 

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
11/21/19 7:53 a.m.

R&T says: A Hyundai insider with knowledge of the RM19 project confirmed to Road & Track a toned-down version of this car is heading for production.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
11/21/19 7:59 a.m.

The regular Veloster N already sounds rowdy, so the production version better sound downright evil.

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/21/19 8:14 a.m.
Snrub said:

R&T says: A Hyundai insider with knowledge of the RM19 project confirmed to Road & Track a toned-down version of this car is heading for production.

Holy christ. If that is the case and they can keep it just under ~$40K, I will have one. If it has a manual of course. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
11/21/19 9:09 a.m.

The more I look at the pics and the more I think about the more I think this thing is awesome. The idea that it may end up as production car is intriguing.

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
11/21/19 9:41 a.m.
Klayfish said:

Oh helllllllll yes

THIS

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/19 10:16 a.m.
Dave M said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Something something C8.  In other words, this has to be $45 or $50k or what's the point?

Two words: stick shift

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
11/21/19 10:22 a.m.

If it were to go into production, it seems they would have to make the frunk a usable storage space since it looks like the entire hatch is now the engine compartment. I suppose there may be a little room for cargo where the back seating area was, at least room for a few small things behind the seats in front of the firewall.

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
11/21/19 10:24 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Good point!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/21/19 10:27 a.m.

This would be tasty.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/21/19 12:19 p.m.

With Ford, GM, and BMyota losing their edge and desire in the car nut market.....  I find myself all of the sudden interested in Hyundai.  Wow, how the world changes.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/21/19 12:47 p.m.
Snrub said:

To me, "toned down" means 100hp less and putting the engine back in the factory location. Let's hope not.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/19 12:50 p.m.
T.J. said:

If it were to go into production, it seems they would have to make the frunk a usable storage space since it looks like the entire hatch is now the engine compartment. I suppose there may be a little room for cargo where the back seating area was, at least room for a few small things behind the seats in front of the firewall.

Why? Why not leave it as completely impractical like the R5 Turbo? Make it nuts, something that doesn't make any sense but gets people excited about Hyundai. It's never going to a high volume seller.

As for the C8 competition, I don't see it. You don't cross-shop a gold-chain 'Vette with a hot hatch with a hand grenade turbo four where the groceries are supposed to go.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/19 12:52 p.m.
iansane said:
Snrub said:

To me, "toned down" means 100hp less and putting the engine back in the factory location. Let's hope not.

They already sell that car.

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/21/19 12:53 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:

With Ford, GM, and BMyota losing their edge and desire in the car nut market.....  I find myself all of the sudden interested in Hyundai.  Wow, how the world changes.

Right? 2019 is very very confusing. 

iansane said:
Snrub said:

They already have that in the form of the Veloster N haha. Albert B. said he already wants to make it happen, so we'll probably see a detuned, 2 seat, mid-engine variant. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
11/21/19 1:04 p.m.

Sounds to me like they want to make a hybrid or electric sports car and this is a step along the road in that direction.

Whatever it’s purpose, I think it’s pretty darn cool, and it’s good to see Hyundai letting their engineers play.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
11/21/19 1:21 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I just want a frunk or some other storage so it would be something I'd actually consider buying. I bought my miata over an MR-s because of the trunk. Other than storage space, I liked the MR-s more.

If I was going to have a road car that I couldn't use for errands (like going to the grocery store or driving to the airport with luggage) I would buy that WCM Ultralite for sale.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/21/19 6:30 p.m.

In reply to goingnowherefast :

$42k is the rumor I've heard...

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/21/19 6:50 p.m.

this is promising...

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
11/21/19 7:02 p.m.

Please have them include the hardware to run a utility trailer to bring the extra set of track rims/tires and a box for the tools/jack.

Please.  I promise to not drive much over 55 when I'm pulling the trailer.

Really.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
11/21/19 7:47 p.m.

I was a diehard Datsun/Nissan guy then fell in love with my manual tranny Honda Accord.  I said I would buy the 510 if they made it.

Wife owned GM cars for 38 years and loves her 2018 Honda Pilot and was blown away by the service my Accord gave us. 16 year old daughter loves her 210,000 mile 2009 Civic.  

Honda? Nissan? I can see myself headed over to Hyundai for this type of car and never looking back.

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
11/21/19 7:51 p.m.
captdownshift said:

In reply to goingnowherefast :

$42k is the rumor I've heard...

If true, amazing!

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
11/21/19 11:34 p.m.

seems like the Corvette may have killed it already.

I did see a headline about the number of C7s still on the lot due to the coming C8.

I still think the next Camaro if there is one should be mid-engined too. enlightened

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ihH2plkSTPULFLb72hUClaRvsVBs1NqZoWmzxWQunEEKf6PpPXF0AlO83WAXWUNp