NickD
NickD HalfDork
2/22/16 10:57 a.m.

You can put a VR6 Turbo in a Miata.

Friend tagged me on this on Facebook. No real word on how they did it, but it uses a RX-7 Turbo II trans, RX-7 rearend, RX-7 calipers and Corrado rotors and hubs. And a weird, janky tunned-window fastback.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
2/22/16 11:53 a.m.

I bet that sounds cool.

edizzle89
edizzle89 HalfDork
2/22/16 11:59 a.m.

for reasons unknown to me i have always liked rwd vr6 swapped vehicles.

for example:

rwd & vr6 swapped corrado:

also audi b5 a4 for some awd goodness:

now i can add this miata to that list

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/22/16 12:14 p.m.

In reply to NickD:

Fill-ups would be bitch with that...

NickD
NickD HalfDork
2/22/16 12:15 p.m.

In reply to petegossett:

Ha, I didn't even notice that the hardtop covers the filler lid

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/22/16 12:31 p.m.

well that is something...

NickD
NickD HalfDork
2/22/16 12:48 p.m.

I've been thinking. And maybe someone will point out a flaw in my thinking. But here goes:

-An RX-7 Turbo II transmission can be swapped into a Miata, as evidenced here and a few other rotary Miatas and some of the higher horsepower 1.8L Miatas.

-A Mitsubishi 4G63 can be bolted to a Turbo II transmission by using a Mazda B2600i bellhousing (The B2600i used a Mitsubishi 4G54 engine and a similar manual transmission)

Does that mean that you could possibly put a 4G63 in a Miata? Obviously mounts, plumbing, wiring would all be custom, but still. Not advocating it or going to attempt it, just curious.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
2/22/16 1:23 p.m.

If powerball ever happens for me I'll build one of those. Two of my favoritest car things in one. Like an automotive Reese's Cup.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
2/22/16 1:32 p.m.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Quick-Time-Bellhousing/698/RM-4082/10002/-1

Jegs website said: Adapts Engine: Audi 4, 5, 6-Cylinder & VW 4-Cyl and VR6 6-Cyl to Transmission: Muncie, Richmond, Saginaw, Falcon, Bert, Brinn, Borg Warner T-10, Chevy TKO 500-600, Jerico 4-5 Speed (Internal Hydraulic Slave)
bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/22/16 1:41 p.m.

To NickD

To use the T2 transmission you can't just use the motor out of a DSM. You have to find one of the semi rare RWD blocks.

Parts need just for the motor: Wideblock 4g63/4g64/g63B--(only comes in SOHC)

DOHC head off DSM or EVO(depending on which side you want your exhaust)

Custom intake manifold

Custom turbo manifold(could maybe use stock)

Custom oil pan.

The reason you don't see it is it just really doesn't make sense.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
2/22/16 1:44 p.m.

The Miata was all over my feed this weekend as well. Pretty cool. Makes me want to get a Mustang notch and do the same..

The Jegs adapter does NOT fit a VR6 without the adapter from a Touareg/Q7 to adapt the VR6 to the Audi bellhousing pattern. I don't know what flywheel you'd use with it either.

NickD
NickD HalfDork
2/22/16 2:12 p.m.
bmw88rider wrote: To NickD To use the T2 transmission you can't just use the motor out of a DSM. You have to find one of the semi rare RWD blocks. Parts need just for the motor: Wideblock 4g63/4g64/g63B--(only comes in SOHC) DOHC head off DSM or EVO(depending on which side you want your exhaust) Custom intake manifold Custom turbo manifold(could maybe use stock) Custom oil pan. The reason you don't see it is it just really doesn't make sense.

Ahhh, okay, makes sense why you don't seem them more often. I don't know Mitsubishi stuff, so I wasn't aware that there was a difference in 4G63 blocks.

Burrito
Burrito Dork
2/22/16 2:27 p.m.

SubaruGears announced last week that they're making an adapter for VR6 to 1990-on 5 speed Subaru gearboxes. So now you can build an AWD turbo VR6 whatchahoozit without having to source some Euro-market only exceedingly rare Touareg transmission.

NickD
NickD HalfDork
2/22/16 2:33 p.m.

In reply to edizzle89:

I remember when Tanner Foust announced he was returning to Formula D this season using a Volkswagen, I was expecting something RWD converted with a turbo VR6. Instead his "Volkswagen Passat" was a tube-chassis car with a Chevrolet LS7 on nitrous with the world's craziest headers. It begged the question: If you take a Passat and throw away the VW chassis and the VW drivetrain, is it really a VW? Apparently, because VW was all too happy to show it off and brag about it and sponsor it. And then at the few events it showed up to it tagged walls and failed to qualify.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/22/16 2:43 p.m.

I can almost guarantee the check engine light is on.

NickD
NickD HalfDork
2/22/16 3:13 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

*checks engine under hood * "Hmmm, something doesn't look quite right here."

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
2/22/16 9:35 p.m.
Burrito wrote: SubaruGears announced last week that they're making an adapter for VR6 to 1990-on 5 speed Subaru gearboxes. So now you can build an AWD turbo VR6 whatchahoozit without having to source some Euro-market only exceedingly rare Touareg transmission.

Or just get the Touareg adapter for the Audi trans and use the bulletproof Audi 01E.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oUCQGAPDeMjD0VnH7iEnKVhZBXhScV0sr3FLnco1QSseIICcMQ5yh0JWgSjhzYRL