1 2
Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/8/21 3:53 p.m.

Just took delivery today and dropped off for paint protection film installation on the forward facing surfaces. 

Was essentially an even trade against the 2015 i8 for this fancy A91-CF edition in "Absolute Zero."  In more plain terms, it's a metallic pearl white, with much more pearl than photographs. 

I'm hoping I'm not deluding myself thinking that I'll be out at a lot of HPDEs starting next spring, given current decrepitude!

These plates are waiting at the courthouse when the title work makes its way through the mill--

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
10/8/21 4:12 p.m.

Wow! Congrats on the purchase. Looking forward to updates from you on your impressions. 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/8/21 4:14 p.m.

Congrats, can't wait to hear your impressions!

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/8/21 4:18 p.m.

That looks stunning in that color. Congrats!

Karacticus
10/8/21 4:24 p.m.

Serious impressions will have to wait until I'm through the 1200 mile break in-- I know I could just send it, but it really isn't that big of a hassle to keep it under 4500 rpm and 100 mph.  Shouldn't have any issues getting through that before it's time to put a car on summer tires away for the winter. 

I can say that it announces itself pretty assertively on engine start. 

In comparison to the i8, it's a much longer reach in a different direction to pull the door closed, but entry and exit is quite a bit easier.!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/8/21 4:44 p.m.

Hnnnnnnnnnnnng!

Looks fantastic. One of my buddies locally just picked one up. I'm afraid if I go for a ride in it, I'm not going to be able to keep myself from buying one.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
10/8/21 4:53 p.m.

Awesome ride! Love the new Supra. Post lots of updates please.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
10/8/21 8:40 p.m.

I love the license plate... it's a pseudo Supra, I get it now.

Looks great! I hope you enjoy. I think these have a presence on road that stands out. I don't love every angle but the angles I like, I really like. Can't wait to drive one.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/8/21 10:26 p.m.

Congratulations. Cool look, too. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/9/21 7:05 a.m.

Looks great! That rear spoiler is pretty wild. 

What color is the interior?

Karacticus
10/9/21 7:50 a.m.
Slippery said:

Looks great! That rear spoiler is pretty wild. 

What color is the interior?

Red and black. Didn't take any pictures before I dropped it off for PPF, but here's a brochure photo--

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/9/21 8:05 a.m.

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
10/9/21 8:58 a.m.

This was the car BMW should have built. I mean, I guess they did. I've seen a few on track, they do pretty great there.

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/9/21 9:11 a.m.

Very nice! Can confirm the pearl white looks great in the flesh.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
10/9/21 9:35 a.m.

In reply to Cactus :

Yeah it's kind of weird that BMW built what is probably their best sports car, finally, and it has a Toyota badge on it.

Karacticus
10/16/21 9:04 a.m.

Got the car home and into the garage last night for the first time. PPF installer sure appears to have done a much better job than had been done on the i8. 

Got the car back in time to go on fall colors tour with car club. Should be able to give some impressions afterwards.  

SWBO is calling the car "The White Witch."  We'll see if that lasts past Halloween.

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
10/16/21 9:37 a.m.

Dang that thing is gorgeous. As someone that had to replace an N55 with full service records just out of warranty in my wife's X3 I will pass along what the tech told me. "Don't follow the factory service intervals on turbo BMW's"

Hopefully the B series engines are better, I believe the N55 crank is made of glass.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/16/21 9:55 a.m.

Car looks great and that interior is killer!!

Karacticus
10/16/21 10:48 a.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

Yeah, this is my third turbocharged BMW, but the first running 0W-20, so intend to keep an eye on that. 

Karacticus
10/18/21 12:03 p.m.

Had the wheels off yesterday to put on some rock guards (think tiny mudflaps.). It turns out that those side skirts are quite effective at holding on to any gravel tossed by the tires.

While I had the front wheels off, found that the dealer had only removed half of the shipping spacers on the front struts during the PDI process.  Haven't yet done anything with the car that would have put it on the bump stops, but at least those are out of the way now. 

Karacticus
10/18/21 12:25 p.m.

As far as impressions after putting 250+ miles on the car this weekend--

• Toyota carries on the BMW tradition of displays that, even at maximum brightness, are too dim to easily read with sunglasses on unless they are in direct sunlight.  However, the color selection for the data does better than the i8 which used a lot of blue on black.
  • If you aren't using sport mode, the car is surprisingly quiet at highway speeds.  Of course, the engine is loafing along at barely over idle if you're anywhere close to legal limits.  The eight speed downshifts quite quickly when you want to accelerate from cruise.
  • I found the driver's seat and driving position comfortable as well.  Interior is snug, but no surprise there.
  • Visibility out the rear is, as expected, not great, but better than my Z4 Coupe.  In the Z4, at least with my head height, you couldn't see any cars behind you in the rear view mirror until they were quite close.  Can see to the horizon in the Supra, though you definitely have quite a view of the spoiler!
  • On the more aggravating side, if you release the hatch from the interior switch, when you get out and close the door, it tends to bounce the hatch enough to leave it latched, but not completely closed.  There is no exterior hatch release like my Z4 had, so you have to use the fob to unlatch it again.
  • I'd mark the headlights as pretty good, and the cutoff on the low beams is surprisingly distinct when you see it across the back of a car you are trailing.
  • Brakes are a bit grabby.  I really should bed them in.

Need to put in more miles before I can really wind it out-- hopefully I can reach that milestone before I get my knee 'scoped next week.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/18/21 1:11 p.m.

I love that color, I find they look much bigger in pictures then in-person. The proportions look great, as well. Glad to hear you're working your way through break-in!

JAdams
JAdams Reader
10/19/21 7:46 a.m.

That spec is amazing! Congrats on the car and look forward to hearing more of your impressions. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/19/21 9:00 a.m.

The more I see these in person, I more I like them. Congrats, I think it will be a great car to own and enjoy!

• On the more aggravating side, if you release the hatch from the interior switch, when you get out and close the door, it tends to bounce the hatch enough to leave it latched, but not completely closed.  There is no exterior hatch release like my Z4 had, so you have to use the fob to unlatch it again.

I have similar gripe about my ND Miata. There is an external button, but it is so damn low near the license plate that you have to bend way over or use the fob, both of which are inconvenient when carrying stuff you'd like to put in the trunk. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/19/21 9:05 a.m.

Not a lot to say other than that I went to the Sears Point drags last week, and the lone Supra stood its ground very well against the various muscle cars.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ow50Je7BpERRJ2oBrxsf7xzP63imoajDXwAxxvdJXGpA31gwGz5JqCCZuQVO1hVz