1 2
rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
8/2/16 8:43 p.m.

It took awhile but finally sold my R56, car was running well but I need something bigger but still fun. I know I'll never approach the steering feel of the MINI but I was thinking hatchback, 4 doors and some poke. I don't want to go down the turbo route again so I was thinking '09 and up Subaru Impreza 2.5 hatchback as we do get lots of snow in the winter. I'm also thinking Mazda3 hatchback with the 2.5L. I like the Civic si sedan of this era too but not a hatch but...too many buts. I need to look for '09 and up to get financing as I don't have enough in the piggy bank to buy it out right. I will be commuting more than likely about 90-100km round trip in the fall.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/2/16 9:00 p.m.

Is the Fiesta ST too small? I think they drive better than the Mini.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
8/2/16 9:02 p.m.

Focus ST?

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
8/2/16 9:04 p.m.

Sorry I should have mentioned my budget is under $10K. Both of these would be on my list but too much for me right now.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
8/2/16 9:08 p.m.

NA Legacy? They normally go cheaper than Impreza's and have more room. Just make sure to get a 5 spd. The 2.5 NA and the auto's are dogs.

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
8/2/16 9:17 p.m.
NGTD wrote: NA Legacy? They normally go cheaper than Impreza's and have more room. Just make sure to get a 5 spd. The 2.5 NA and the auto's are dogs.

I had an '03 Legacy Wagon and loved it but had to sell. I'm going to have a look tomorrow. Thanks

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
8/2/16 9:24 p.m.

Congrats on selling the Mini BTW!

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
8/2/16 9:42 p.m.
NGTD wrote: Congrats on selling the Mini BTW!

Thanks, took a lot longer than expected. Market is Sh_t for these right now.

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
8/4/16 5:07 p.m.

2003 Subaru Impreza is coming into the used car place I work at, 104 km in amazing condition. The bad it's auto tragic. I'm still tempted, I know a swap to a 5 speed is fairly easy but...

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
8/4/16 5:31 p.m.

Forte5 SX with the turbo?

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
8/4/16 5:39 p.m.

4 cylinder Accord

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
8/4/16 7:15 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: 4 cylinder Accord

This is high on the list. I'm thinking coupe and I really want the V6 with the 6 speed but hard to find. I think if a good priced 4 cylinder Accord Coupe showed up I would go for it.

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
8/7/16 8:59 p.m.

Here's my list for now, it does evolve on a daily basis.

• '09 Honda Accord Coupe/maybe sedan has to be stick. (All vehicle will be stick)
  • '05 and up Subaru Legacy GT Wagon or Forester XT. We used to have an XT but it was auto and I've always wanted one that's manual.
  • '08 and up Subaru WRX hatchback, because I like them.
  • There's a possibility of a Civic but it would have to be an Si and not beat to death. Probably newer '09 and up.
  • Maybe a TSX but I hate the chrome bill on the newer ones.

I'm trying to stay under $10K and I've found a couple of nice Legacy GT's but the km's are mega. Going to check out an Accord Coupe tomorrow, 2.4L Stick and a local Mazda dealer. I have a great used car connection and we've been checking the auctions all week but everything is so boring and automatic. I've got my Father-in-Laws Camry for another week and then I'm driving the Rustang until I find something. I'll be commuting soon to whatever school I'm assigned so I may need to consider gas MPG. My wife says just get another Civic and be done with it...

to be continued...

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
8/7/16 10:07 p.m.

May I ask what you got for the Mini?

I am trying to sell my 07 Cooper S Hatch. Low miles and a new motor, 6spd

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
8/7/16 10:15 p.m.

VW GTI

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
8/7/16 11:04 p.m.

Mazda 3 or Civic. Subies are too problematic (oh wait you had a MINI, maybe that's not an issue), and get worse mileage.

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
8/8/16 7:20 a.m.
bentwrench wrote: May I ask what you got for the Mini? I am trying to sell my 07 Cooper S Hatch. Low miles and a new motor, 6spd

I had listed it for $6800 ended up getting $6200. Guy took it as is, mine had 165km and was running well. That's Canadian dollars.

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
8/8/16 7:23 a.m.
markwemple wrote: VW GTI

I've had enough of CEL's with the MINI. No thanks

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
8/8/16 2:44 p.m.

Disagree. The GTI can be really reliable. The Mini is famous for a lack of it. And its MUCH easier to work on a GTI. The Mini is a nightmare

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
8/8/16 2:53 p.m.

I had two Subaru WRX's before my current 2nd gen Mazda 3. The Mazda is a lot more reliable. It's not nearly as fast, but it handles better and is fun enough to drive. If you are looking for dependable and cheap to maintain, the Mazda is not a bad choice.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
8/8/16 3:34 p.m.

Mazda 3 hatch or Mazda 5

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
8/8/16 3:42 p.m.

In reply to rustysteel:

I know you said no to turbo, but can you happen to find a LNF powered Cobalt SS sedan in your area with a stick?

Also, an Ion Redline in perfect condition could be had for that budget. They are actually very good cars.

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
8/8/16 7:47 p.m.

Drove this today:

<a href="Untitled">Accord Coupe

Dealer really wants to move this car and gave me a great deal. Going to check maintenance reports tomorrow. Only concerns 172km's but does come with snows...tempting. Only a 4 (not the 6 cylinder that I wanted) but runs great and it's stick.

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
8/8/16 9:50 p.m.

Was it fun to drive?

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
8/9/16 7:13 a.m.
CyberEric wrote: Was it fun to drive?

It was, not as much as the V6 but still way better than a minivan...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y60mw7SUc46KnZz7eMWEDOE4XNdkbmvVXNlNsNnBXeZ8J3dEkhGbzFEbODeSkyXp