1 ... 17 18 19
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/21 9:10 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Does anyone offer a trunk rack for the ND like they had for NAs?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/21 10:04 a.m.

I'm impressed the Fiat took that cooler. I don't think any generation of Miata would swallow it other than maybe the NC. The soft top ND has a different trunk lid but I don't think it would be enough to make a difference. The Fiat didn't need room for a folding hardtop roof, so they had some extra volume available and the tail is longer.

Time for a soft sided cooler :) I've always maintained that it works better to pack a Miata trunk directly instead of packing things and trying to put them in the trunk...

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/16/21 10:21 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I've always maintained that it works better to pack a Miata trunk directly instead of packing things and trying to put them in the trunk...

Yeah, but it is really hard to carry the packed trunk into the hotel...

:)

Katya4me
Katya4me New Reader
8/16/21 10:34 a.m.

We prefer hard sided coolers and didn't have any that would fit the ND's trunk.  I ended up getting this one and really like it: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Coleman-48-Can-Party-Stacker-Cooler-Blue-3000005342/203321675  No wheels, but surprisingly roomy and definitely happy with the purchase. 

Also picked up a pair of collapsing camping chairs that would actually fit in the trunk with the cooler.

Keith Tanner
8/16/21 10:36 a.m.
ShawneeCreek said:
Keith Tanner said:

I've always maintained that it works better to pack a Miata trunk directly instead of packing things and trying to put them in the trunk...

Yeah, but it is really hard to carry the packed trunk into the hotel...

:)

Just grab what you need! Squishy soft sided bags are acceptable, but a quantity of smaller bags is easier to pack than two monolithic ones.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/16/21 11:27 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I've been using soft bags for luggage for awhile, but I'm coming from the MINI and Triumph worlds with similar packing challenges. I use a custom made bag my ex- used to sell that is designed to fit in one half of a R53 cargo area behind the rear seats.  As far as I know, my ex- still uses her ND as a fair weather DD.  She'll probably drive it on vacation to Watkins Glen in a couple of weeks. She is a wizard at packing light (even for 10 days), so the small trunk isn't too much of a big deal for her.

Wow that RF looks nice.  The dark blue with white interior looks amazing.  

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
8/16/21 2:55 p.m.

Them seats are pretty kinky looking.  Perhaps locate matching shoes and belt.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/17/21 12:03 p.m.

First performance mod. They were only able to get 1.2 degrees camber, otherwise matching the Flyin Miata recommended numbers. Stock it came with zero front camber and you could tell. I did the same thing to my Fiata and it makes a big difference. First autocross Sunday. This will be the second car I've autocrossed with dealer tags this year...in the same class. 

maschinenbau
8/21/21 11:59 a.m.

Hit 1000 miles in the north Georgia mountains. This is what it's all about!

Even fjorded a creek. Thankful for that LSD and stock ride height!

Autocross tomorrow

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/21/21 6:21 p.m.

I know all those roads well except the creek crossing. Where was that?  Looks like a great day.  I usually try to get up to the Gaps early in the morning to beat the bikers and crowds. What part of ATL are you in?  I'm in Marietta, would love to come check this machine out sometime and sit in it to see if I fit. 

maschinenbau
8/22/21 9:34 a.m.

In reply to ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) :

I'm down in East Point. I was up there before 8, which was perfect timing. The fjord was Helton Creek falls, between Neels and Hogpen gaps.

You're welcome over anytime for a test fit/drive. I also autocross regularly if you want to co-drive sometime. 

maschinenbau
10/2/21 6:38 p.m.

I definitely don't fit as well in the Miata as I did in the Fiat, probably because RF top, so something had to be done. I splurged on the Aurora low profile seat mount, which although pricey as hell, keeps the forward-backward slider and is overall a very nicely made product. It's also a permanent mod, because you have to cut part of the Mazda bracketry. I was skeptical about the benefits, and leery about taking an angle grinder to a brand new car, but holy hell it makes a huge difference in comfort and forward visibility! Install was pretty difficult, especially with white leather seats and grubby hands.

Keith Tanner
10/2/21 6:43 p.m.

Interesting! I didn't know Moti had put those together. His stuff is never cheap but it's always well designed.

maschinenbau
10/2/21 7:08 p.m.

I actually ordered them a week or two after buying the car, but supplier issues delayed them over a month. I called up Aurora and Moti answered the phone and let me know about their struggles to get parts (lots of that going around). He seems like good people. Well worth the wait, but I'll admit that price was hard to swallow compared to the Paco kit. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/5/21 11:42 a.m.

That color is perfect. 

1 ... 17 18 19
Our Preferred Partners
HYeXcRVsA5gWrZ9UtghqDylr2IDoB5n1DcAigYhojViiVqYxcugWlmxUIFsLVSIg