1 ... 5 6 7
maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/24/21 5:26 p.m.

In reply to Snrub :

I think you're right about the springs and shocks. The rear roll bar is supposedly thicker than the ND, not sure about the front. It seems the Classica wheels are the same dimensions as the ND Sport wheels 16x6.5. The Lusso and Abarth wheels are 17x7, same as the ND Club and GT. I am in no hurry since I have plenty of tread life left, but I will probably go to 205/50R15 when the time comes, and most likely a true street tire like Firestone Indy 500's, not a ridiculous 200TW autox-only tire. If I get the competitive CS bug, I would rather go all-out and have a dedicated set of 17x7 with autocross tires. Alignment is the low-hanging fruit right now.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
2/24/21 10:43 p.m.

For a car I really don't like the looks of, at least  that's really a great color. Glad you're enjoying it. 

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/1/21 8:08 a.m.

Oh boy, my coolant disappeared after 3k miles! Noticed the tank was just below the "low" mark, so I topped it off with some distilled and will keep a closer eye on it. It took very little to go from L to H on the tank. This is typically a sign of the dreaded water pump issue that plagues this engine, according to the 124Spider forum, but I don't have the obvious tell-tale puddling under the car. I still have a year of warranty left, but hopefully it doesn't come to that. 

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/1/21 8:17 a.m.
maschinenbau (I live here) said:

Oh boy, my coolant disappeared after 3k miles! Noticed the tank was just below the "low" mark, so I topped it off with some distilled and will keep a closer eye on it. It took very little to go from L to H on the tank. This is typically a sign of the dreaded water pump issue that plagues this engine, according to the 124Spider forum, but I don't have the obvious tell-tale puddling under the car. I still have a year of warranty left, but hopefully it doesn't come to that. 

Oh no! At least you have warranty. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/21 9:07 a.m.

Coolant leaves nice white marks when it escapes and evaporates. You can also smell it. I'd be taking a really good look at the engine bay and sniffing the exhaust to make sure it's not getting into the combusition chamber if it's not leaking.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/21 9:12 a.m.
maschinenbau (I live here) said:

In reply to Snrub :

I think you're right about the springs and shocks. The rear roll bar is supposedly thicker than the ND, not sure about the front. It seems the Classica wheels are the same dimensions as the ND Sport wheels 16x6.5. The Lusso and Abarth wheels are 17x7, same as the ND Club and GT. I am in no hurry since I have plenty of tread life left, but I will probably go to 205/50R15 when the time comes, and most likely a true street tire like Firestone Indy 500's, not a ridiculous 200TW autox-only tire. If I get the competitive CS bug, I would rather go all-out and have a dedicated set of 17x7 with autocross tires. Alignment is the low-hanging fruit right now.

ND Miata has a 23mm front bar with a 2.4mm wall thickness. I think the Fiat Classica is the same. The rear bars are 11mm solids on the Miatas and 14mm solid on the Classica. I don't have Abarth numbers.

The Fiat has 100 lbs more weight on the front wheels than the Miata, so the stiffer rear may be there to help it rotate. Front weight percentage with a full tank and no occupants is 52.3% for an ND Club, 54.0% for a Fiat Classica. Fun fact, putting the top up and down moves about 0.3% on and off the rear wheels :)

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/5/21 12:28 p.m.

Maybe it was a fluke, or maybe an incredibly slow leak somewhere? During cool-down after the next drive since topping off, it slurped down the expansion tank to L again and the turbo cooling pump sounded normal again. Presumably this means no more air in the system. So I topped it off again, this time with FL-22 concentrate to keep the total added mixture 1:1. A couple hundred miles and several cool-down cycles later, and the level hasn't budged at all. I'm thinking this is not the water pump issue, because everyone on the forum says the leak is very obvious and very dramatic. It is possible this tiny amount could have slowly leaked or burned out over the 3,000 miles I've driven, but that's not exactly a good thing either. I'll continue to keep an eye on it. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
4/5/21 3:21 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau (I live here) :

Nice looking car - in an ideal world a coolant system is pressurized and contained. Can you get a pressure tester on it? The coolant had to go somewhere, I'd be surprised that it would have air in the system on that new of a car unless they had to open up the coolant system before you got it? Have you looked up the service history? 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
4/5/21 3:49 p.m.

If it's still under warranty, I wouldn't touch it or bother adding coolant. Go to the dealer and ask them why your car is broken. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
4/5/21 4:15 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

If it's still under warranty, I wouldn't touch it or bother adding coolant. Go to the dealer and ask them why your car is broken. 

That's solid advice too.

1 ... 5 6 7
Our Preferred Partners
wmDwllMagUt60oGAwDQS5xNornXzArJMvVFLjLLFy5SGvga7DRi9qMheKqG6TTlS