1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 25
maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/15/21 5:57 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Ugh. Good luck. I hope it's clear enough that the dealer will to have to fix it properly instead of just waving you away again. 

I'm not keeping this car after they fix it. berkeley that. 

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/15/21 6:23 p.m.

That's the suck. Good luck.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
5/15/21 6:37 p.m.
maschinenbau said:
Keith Tanner said:

Ugh. Good luck. I hope it's clear enough that the dealer will to have to fix it properly instead of just waving you away again. 

Sorry to hear that, but I understand.  Sold my NC after getting annoyed over how much effort it took to get the top warrantied.  Swore I'd never buy another Mazda under warranty again.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/21 6:39 p.m.

I also have dealt with the FCA warranty/recall process. It's ugly. 

Don't write the car off for that, though. You chose it for a reason. As long as those reasons still hold, stick with it. 

maschinenbau
5/15/21 6:46 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

It's supposed to be an oil and gas car to replace my old Saturn and get me to work. I haven't even made it an oil change interval before an unexpected dealer visit and a leave-me-stranded failure. The Saturn never did that me in 125k miles. Can't I have my cake and eat it too? I'm really bummed about this. I forsee a lot of hassle in my future, between getting the car to the dealer, getting them to fix it, begging for a loaner, giving up and renting a stupid car, and playing phone tag with Chrysler to get them to reimburse the rental, and of course selling and shopping for another stupid car. Last time they flat out said they can't give me a loaner, but I still have to get to work. It's an awful time to buy a car and I really didn't need this to happen right now.

Snrub
Snrub Dork
5/15/21 9:07 p.m.

If they don't have a loaner available, you may be able to get a rental on their dime. I think you have a case to say that you're in this situation due to their inability to deal with the problem. Speak to the service manager, ask and insist. It would be the manufacturer who would actually pay in the end. Threaten a poor google review, etc. if they don't do the right thing so you can get to work.

If you're moving on, you could probably switch into an ND for not much of a hit. Seems like the easy option. As a counter argument, there are tons of those engines on the road in Chrysler products, surely they're not all this bad?

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/15/21 9:18 p.m.
maschinenbau said:
Keith Tanner said:

Carvana. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/21 9:53 p.m.
Slippery said:
maschinenbau said:
Keith Tanner said:

Carvana. 

I was thinking when is the appropriate time for a low ball?  Too soon? 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/15/21 10:06 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

Can't I have my cake and eat it too? 

Nope, because once you eat it, you no longer have it. devil

Keith Tanner
5/16/21 2:06 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

It's supposed to be an oil and gas car to replace my old Saturn and get me to work. I haven't even made it an oil change interval before an unexpected dealer visit and a leave-me-stranded failure. The Saturn never did that me in 125k miles. Can't I have my cake and eat it too? I'm really bummed about this. I forsee a lot of hassle in my future, between getting the car to the dealer, getting them to fix it, begging for a loaner, giving up and renting a stupid car, and playing phone tag with Chrysler to get them to reimburse the rental, and of course selling and shopping for another stupid car. Last time they flat out said they can't give me a loaner, but I still have to get to work. It's an awful time to buy a car and I really didn't need this to happen right now.

This is a very reasonable argument. I would have expected it to be reliable enough for your use, but the car does seem to be proving otherwise. 

Keith Tanner
5/16/21 2:07 p.m.
Stampie said:
Slippery said:
maschinenbau said:
Keith Tanner said:

Carvana. 

I was thinking when is the appropriate time for a low ball?  Too soon? 

While it's broken at the side of the road is the perfect time for a low ball. 

I'm assuming it's still at the side of the road. We haven't heard otherwise :)

maschinenbau
5/16/21 3:35 p.m.

I had AAA dump it at the dealership last night. Look at all that fresh coolant.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/16/21 3:56 p.m.

Ugh, so sorry to hear about this!  I guess the good news is that they should be able to find the leak now. Hopefully everything goes well with the new engine and the loaner situation.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/16/21 4:15 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
maschinenbau said:

This is a very reasonable argument. I would have expected it to be reliable enough for your use, but the car does seem to be proving otherwise. 

Most of the time they are, sometimes things fail. It's just how things are. 

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/16/21 11:01 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

Sold my NC after getting annoyed over how much effort it took to get the top warrantied.  Swore I'd never buy another Mazda under warranty again.

Off topic of the thread.. but..

BUT

To be clear...a soft top convertible top is considered a wear item.. outside of the first year warranty.. you're 100% depending on goodwill by a MFR to get one of those covered for replacement on their dime.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/16/21 11:05 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I also have dealt with the FCA warranty/recall process. It's ugly. 

Don't write the car off for that, though. You chose it for a reason. As long as those reasons still hold, stick with it. 

THIS

throwing the baby out with the bathwater seems a bit drastic.. unless you're just now realizing you bought the wrong version of the miata and are now going to rectify it..

I keep thinking an ND might be my commuter car someday too.  If the new job pans out I will be looking at a one hour commute time and fun to drive plus decent mileage will be key.  

maschinenbau
5/17/21 7:25 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet (Forum Supporter) :

I get what you're saying, but this is the one car I'm supposed to always rely on. It's 2nd water pump has already failed, so there seems to be something inherently wrong with the design. And yeah, it's under warranty, but so far dealing with Chrysler service departments is like pulling teeth. Dealer is already telling me 2+ weeks til they can look at it. And they don't even do loaner cars anymore, apparently. 

In other news, it turns out AAA never actually delivered my car to the dealership. Would have been nice to know that... So now I have a different headache to sort out first.

edit: also thanks for letting me rant and vent here. I'm sure I will have more steam to let out. Like the thread title says, I'm sure It Will All Be Okay. Just sucks a lot right now.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/17/21 7:46 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Maybe it got "lost" and you won't have to deal with it.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
5/17/21 7:46 a.m.

Is there a better aftermarket water pump available to put in if that looks like a recurring issue? 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
5/17/21 7:49 a.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:
eastsideTim said:

Sold my NC after getting annoyed over how much effort it took to get the top warrantied.  Swore I'd never buy another Mazda under warranty again.

Off topic of the thread.. but..

BUT

To be clear...a soft top convertible top is considered a wear item.. outside of the first year warranty.. you're 100% depending on goodwill by a MFR to get one of those covered for replacement on their dime.

I think it was only about 14 months since I bought it that the top started to crack.  NCs have a known point on the top frame that pokes the top and tends to cause this problem.  They originally claimed the failure was due to something external contacting the top and cutting it until I fought them over it for a while, then they acted like they were doing me a favor when they had it fixed.  The day I got it back, it had a few new rattles, and when I was cleaning it up, vacuumed up at least one trim clip that had apparently not been reinstalled.  Sold it the next week to Carmax, luckily bought the car during a downturn, and sold during a recovery, so didn't actually lose much money.

STM317
STM317 UberDork
5/17/21 9:34 a.m.

What a mess! Sorry you're having to deal with all of this man

Snrub
Snrub Dork
5/17/21 11:04 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

I get what you're saying, but this is the one car I'm supposed to always rely on. It's 2nd water pump has already failed, so there seems to be something inherently wrong with the design. And yeah, it's under warranty, but so far dealing with Chrysler service departments is like pulling teeth. Dealer is already telling me 2+ weeks til they can look at it. And they don't even do loaner cars anymore, apparently. 

2+ weeks to LOOK at it? Any reason not to take it to a different dealer? Did you ask for them to give you a rental?

My experience with manufacturer customer care departments is they add very limited value in resolving repair issues, but they can do other things. In your case, perhaps they can help with authorizing a rental? eg. I had a RX-8 which experienced two clutch pedal failures. Mazda extended the warranty for the clutch pedal in some regions, but in my region they replaced clutch pedals under a "policy" (or something similar) which in their rules meant they only covered one replacement. Unknown to me at the time, the person I spoke to at Mazda agreed with my complaint and spearheaded an effort to change the policy. As a result they reimbursed me.

Keith Tanner
5/17/21 11:25 a.m.

In reply to Snrub :

Along those lines - it's worth escalating to the regional level. Then you're dealing with someone who is a manufacturer representative instead of a dealer representative.

maschinenbau
5/17/21 11:33 a.m.

Got off the phone with service dept, finally able to get the same service manager from my last visit so he remembers me. He told me they're going to look at it in the next day or so with any luck. I asked if they could arrange a rental car to drop off at my house, but he said unfortunately I'm on my own for getting a rental. I asked the best way to go about getting a reimbursement once this is all done, he said honestly just google Chrysler's number and go from there, that's what he would do. It seems like unnecessary  hassle and stress, so I'm just going to drive the El Camino or motorcycle for now and try WFH as much as possible. 

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 25

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gbCAKpFF14meNAfFIlYCaplWI7luTTjWJt4jaS55YEHGapM1dQo9uf66WYyqM8x3