SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
10/8/15 8:09 p.m.

So I'm not going to be able to do anything with the Durango until sometime next year. It's going to have to sit outside for the winter.

Is there anything I can do to keep the mice out of the interior and squirrels out of the engine compartment?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/15 8:13 p.m.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
10/8/15 8:27 p.m.

My dad swears by blocks of cedar placed all through the vehicle.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
10/8/15 8:41 p.m.

Are there any rust holes in the body? If so you're out of luck. Otherwise, plug the exhaust pipes and air intakes.

Old wives tales about Bounce dryer sheets or Irish Spring soap or mothballs are just that - old wives tales, they don't work.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
10/8/15 9:07 p.m.

Set it on greased jackstands, throw some glue traps on the floor inside.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
10/9/15 7:47 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Are there any rust holes in the body? If so you're out of luck. Otherwise, plug the exhaust pipes and air intakes. Old wives tales about Bounce dryer sheets or Irish Spring soap or mothballs are just that - old wives tales, they don't work.

No rust holes in the body.

Thanks for the heads up, someone already recommended dryer sheets to me.

NickD
NickD Reader
10/9/15 7:49 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Are there any rust holes in the body? If so you're out of luck. Otherwise, plug the exhaust pipes and air intakes. Old wives tales about Bounce dryer sheets or Irish Spring soap or mothballs are just that - old wives tales, they don't work.

The one about bags of tobacco leaf does actually work though. And for plugging pipes/opening, use steel wool. Mice absolutely will not touch the stuff

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
10/9/15 7:57 a.m.

I used to get those seasonal deposits in the lifter valley, air box, under hood electrical center etc. until I started using dryer sheets. After that no more problem. Stinkier the better. Works for me.

Can't just be a coincidence as I had problems for repetitive years before that.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
10/9/15 8:02 a.m.

I've seen mice make nests out of dryer sheets.

That_Renault_Guy
That_Renault_Guy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/9/15 8:22 a.m.

100% success rate with dryer sheets for me - has to be the super stinky ones though.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/9/15 8:23 a.m.

Glue traps and snap traps are super cheap, so I'd load them all over the place. I've also read on the Subaru forums about spraying the engine bay with ammonia or ammonia based glass cleaner. They don't like the smell.
Those little SOB's can get into a hole the size of a dime.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UltraDork
10/9/15 8:37 a.m.

Not steel wool - use copper mesh. I've found chew marks in Irish Spring soap bars, so they don't work, in my experience.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/9/15 8:59 a.m.

My vehicles spend a lot of time in my pole barn, which I jokingly say belongs to the mice and chipmunks, they just let me use it.

I used this stuff in the E30 and the GTO last winter and it seemed to work great:

Nice thing is that the odor is pleasant to humans (well, at least to me), but rodents supposedly hate it. Another good-smelling and non-poisonous option is peppermint oil. Put some on a cotton ball and put the cotton ball on a small plate or something inside the car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qM8w4MBNxMwYFGchy58DdqxHorw5bllneOrKETdfQL8sBekR7vpvZhEx5T53HmLt