1 2 3
red5_02
red5_02 Reader
10/6/11 11:15 a.m.

http://gymkhanagrid.com/

Cliffs: race event gets canned due to a flat brimmed hat wearing brotatoe claiming rights to something that's been around far longer than he has. Furthermore no one can use the word Gymkhana in any sort of commercial or for profit instance without the written consent of DC Shoes.

That's ok Mr. Block, maybe one day you'll actually live up to the hype your name has created and win something.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky HalfDork
10/6/11 11:22 a.m.

Capitalism baby, capitalism

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/6/11 11:25 a.m.

If those assertions are correct, that is some seriously lousy behavior.

Wonder whether anybody has the funds and the motivation to take legal action over the fact that the word "gymkhana" predates not only DC Shoes, but probably Ken Block's birth...

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky HalfDork
10/6/11 11:30 a.m.

As long as no one else has copyrighted it, he can take ownership of the word.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/6/11 11:32 a.m.
Cone_Junky wrote: As long as no one else has copyrighted it, he can take ownership of the word.

Not if it's proven to be common lexicon.

HStockSolo
HStockSolo New Reader
10/6/11 11:34 a.m.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymkhana

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/6/11 11:43 a.m.

somebody with some bucks needs to take that to court

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/6/11 11:43 a.m.

IIRC, everyone used that term back in the 60's freely, as we use Autocross today.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
10/6/11 11:45 a.m.

How does Block figure into this? I didn't see his name mentioned.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky HalfDork
10/6/11 11:57 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: How does Block figure into this? I didn't see his name mentioned.

It actually doesn't. Probably because he doesn't own DC anymore. Maybe the resentment should be directed towards DC and not Ken.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/6/11 12:03 p.m.

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4008:7jadc6.3.1

Word Mark GYMKHANA Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Amusement apparatus and games adapted for use with television receivers or with video or computer monitors; Recorded and pre-recorded materials, namely, CDs, CD-ROMs, and DVDs, all featuring sports and recreational activities in the nature of motorsports racing and exhibitions, surfing, snowboarding, skateboarding, street sports and music; apparatus for recording, transmission or reproduction of sound or images; magnetic data carriers, downloadable files of sounds and/or images, in particular music; Electronic docking stations; MP3 Players; earphones and headphones; audio speakers; eyewear; mobile phones; cases for mobile phones; protective helmets; computer bags; eyeglass cases; electronic memories

IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Sports training services; sporting, recreational and cultural events and activities namely those relating to motorsports, surfing, snowboarding, skiing, skateboarding, and street sports; Production and distribution of cinema, DVD, television, radio and online content; publishing of books and magazines; on-line journals, namely, blogs featuring information regarding sporting, recreational and cultural events and activities Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK Serial Number 85249801 Filing Date February 23, 2011 Current Filing Basis 1B Original Filing Basis 1B Owner (APPLICANT) DC Shoes, Inc. CORPORATION CALIFORNIA 15202 Graham Street Huntington Beach CALIFORNIA 92649 Attorney of Record Mitch Milstein Type of Mark TRADEMARK. SERVICE MARK Register PRINCIPAL Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

DC Shoes was founded by Ken Block.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Shoes

DC Shoes is an American company that specializes in footwear for extreme sports, skateboarding, snowboarding as well as snowboards, shirts, jeans, hats, and jackets. The company was founded in 1993 by Ken Block and Damon Way, and is based in Vista, California.[1] DC originally stood for "Droors Clothing", but since the sale of Droors Clothing (which is now defunct), DC no longer has ties to Droors and is simply DC Shoes.

On March 8, 2004, DC Shoes was acquired by Quiksilver in a $87 Million USD transaction.[2] DC Shoes moved from Vista, California to Quiksilver's headquarters in Huntington Beach in 2010.[3]

DC sponsors snowboarders, BMX riders, skateboarders, and more. The current skate team[4] includes Danny Way, Josh Kalis, Nick Dompierre, Rob Dyrdek, Colin McKay, Chris Cole, Mikey Taylor, Matt Miller, Felipe Gustavo, Wes Kremer, Marquise Henry, Davis Torgerson, and Evan Smith.

In fall 2010, DC Shoes launched their DC LIFE collection, a collection of fashion, music and art-inspired footwear. They held a launch party for the DC LIFE collection at the REVOLVE Clothing boutique in West Hollywood, California.

Although, DC Shoes is owned by Quiksilver now, so it isn't directly Ken's fault since the trademark was filed in February of 2011 and Ken was bought out in 2004. Although, Block is listed as Chief Brand Officer for DC Shoes.

CBO: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_Brand_Officer

A chief brand officer (CBO) is a relatively new executive level position at a corporation, company, organization, or agency, typically reporting directly to the CEO or board of directors. The CBO is responsible for a brand's image, experience, and promise, and propagating it throughout all aspects of the company. The brand officer oversees marketing, advertising, design, public relations and customer service departments. The brand equity of a company is seen as becoming increasingly dependent on the role of a CBO.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
10/6/11 12:07 p.m.

This is unfortunate, and hopefully they can sort it out. Ford pulled something similar when they started hassling and shutting down anyone and everyone that used the word "mustang", "stang", or "pony car". Ford took a big publicity hit for that, maybe DC will too.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
10/6/11 12:11 p.m.

Kind of reminds of the time year ago, I think it was HP, when they tried to claim the right to the Hyperlink, or something like that... it was pretty stupid.

cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
10/6/11 12:16 p.m.

Is this like how the SCCA has RallyCross trademarked ? No, DC has more money...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/6/11 12:22 p.m.

so wait, remind me how this is Blocks fault again? Ad whats with the flatbill brotato bit? (spelling much Dan Quail?) Dont be "that guy" Red 05 - flinging wild accusations around, and interweb name calling amounts to the behavior of an angry 4 year old.

Javelin
10/6/11 12:24 p.m.

Well, DC Shoes is the one filing the trademark. Ken Block is the "Chief Brand Officer" for DC and started their Gymkhana advertising. Also, he wears his hats with flat brims and sells ridiculously over-priced "urban style" clothing for a living so the brotatoe comment applies.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
10/6/11 12:25 p.m.

Guess i'm a brotato. (Minus the flat billed hat. I wear a Cuban revolution style hat printed with skulls and crossbones, instead. Because it's more ironic.)

i'mokwiththis.jpg

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/6/11 12:33 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Well, DC Shoes is the one filing the trademark. Ken Block is the "Chief Brand Officer" for DC and started their Gymkhana advertising. Also, he wears his hats with flat brims and sells ridiculously over-priced "urban style" clothing for a living so the brotatoe comment applies.

I guess GRM needs to include a Green with Envy emoticon eh?

Javelin
10/6/11 12:37 p.m.

I like Ken Block, I was just responding to 4cylndrfury's attack on Red 05.

I may round my cap bills, but that doesn't make me a hater.

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
10/6/11 12:54 p.m.

Reminds me of another ambulant ass**t by the name of Carroll Shelby.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Dork
10/6/11 1:12 p.m.

Why didn't they just change the name of the event to 'Autocross Grid' and run it anyway?

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
10/6/11 2:01 p.m.

I don't wear hats. How do I fit into this?

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/6/11 3:16 p.m.

I think that the patent office deserves a big slap upside the head for allowing this to happen. Isn't there some sort of due dilligence involved? I'm sure that I can't patent "snowboarding" or any number of nouns. What moron let DC get away with that?

And while I don't buy any of DCs stuff for myself, my 12 YO son does. Seems like until such time as he gets a job there'll be no more money going to DC from this household.

car39
car39 HalfDork
10/6/11 4:07 p.m.

I claim "grassroots" You all owe me money.

Uncoiled
Uncoiled New Reader
10/6/11 4:32 p.m.

DC sucks for doing this, but you can't blame Ken Block, or make me not like him, he is pretty awesome.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
caSWiFAuBbEWKvKMwfVzHqTyy6lWtv9tQpcCMleU1Xq1itNDneJLAxSWKdVScPxf