David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/15/18 9:36 a.m.

Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published by reading the print edition of Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe now.

An old car has a certain mystique, a charm that’s tough to capture. It’s about chrome and steel instead of cup holders and plastic. It’s the automotive equivalent of your favorite jeans. Nothing smells like an …

Read the rest of the story

maj75
maj75 HalfDork
6/15/18 9:49 a.m.

Bought an ‘84 GTI new.  White with the red interior.  I had always had muscle cars.  What an eye opener.  Would love to have that car again but they are rare as chicken’s teeth.  I can’t remember the last time I saw a decent one.  Engine swaps make it even better I hear.

Currently own a C3, a ‘69 427 390hp 4 speed with factory air.  Not quite on the bargain side of the scale.  Later model “rubber bumper” cars are less money however.  Don’t be fooled by their rust impervious bodies.  Underneath that fiberglass is an unpainted steel skeleton and steel frame.  Unseen rust has turned many of these cars in Northern areas into yard ornaments.

Air cooled Porsche is one I would love to add to my resume, but their prices have hit the stratosphere.  I mean the worst rusty piece of scrap with no drivetrain is 5 figures.  I think their time as reasonable classics has passed.  They require deep pockets and a restoration would cost you more than an early C3.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DUZOb0sqmvNLBekpCY7jKPkuoLLHb7D6dMfo116av4QORdsVTYTuSD5Bf7RkWeIU