GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/19/13 1:58 p.m.

I want to get one but it seems that the only good unit you can buy these days is the big-money one from Earl's (Hayden makes a cheap one that has all kinds of issues from the reviews I've read, and with the number of short trips I make I don't want to get one without a thermostat...external thermostats are a plumbing nightmare that I don't even have the room for).

From the research I've been doing all Toyotas ever made use the same oil filter pattern, and therefore the sandwich plates should all be compatible. So what models can I junkyard-source one off of?

BTW this is not counting oil-water coolers like some MR2s and Camrys came with, this is for an oil-air cooler.

Although now that I think of it, what if I run an oil-water cooler to an old heater core strapped to the radiator and use an electric pump...makes you think...

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
2/19/13 5:18 p.m.

Oh , I thought he was looking for something to warm/toast his sandwich. Sorry !

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
2/19/13 5:30 p.m.

under $100... get a Mocal

as mounted on my 4AGE

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
2/19/13 5:54 p.m.

No Toyotas came with a thermostat in there. Either plumb in one (not that bad, really, just cut the 2 lines to the cooler and put the thermostat in) or get a cooler with one built in. Use your Y0 mAd tite google-fu skillz and look for "lockhart oil thermostat."

GameboyRMH
2/19/13 6:17 p.m.

Ah Mocal model MOC-SP1T is the one that fits? That can work.

Good tip on the lockhart unit, nice and compact with no extra lines. That would be good for adding onto an existing non-thermostatic system.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
2/19/13 9:14 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Ah Mocal model MOC-SP1T is the one that fits? That can work. Good tip on the lockhart unit, nice and compact with no extra lines. That would be good for adding onto an existing non-thermostatic system.

I had to grind a little of the steel engine mount to fit it, but it works great with no problems in 2 years

nepa03focus
nepa03focus New Reader
2/20/13 7:40 a.m.

Mmmmmmm sandwich

GameboyRMH
2/20/13 8:15 a.m.

The AE92 doesn't have anything bolted on where the AE71 mount is, so it should fit without any mods. The closest things to worry about are the AC compressor and header but I have the option of putting the outlets on the trans-facing side or pointing straight down.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kTljpfsXeGQ42jKEM7ZPHS1Tumze9iLkXzKniurMwPj2GLIviR6sp4h6ASoaHEZH