devilboy
devilboy New Reader
10/28/10 4:13 a.m.

I know it is on the other end of the spectrum from grassroots, but I thought I would share some pics I took from the race this past weekend. It was a great experience and for me it was awesome, not so much for the racing but just seeing all the cars in real life. Even though you can only see the top of the drivers helmet as they fly by, it is amazing to be able to see all the drivers and cars that you admire so much in action. It was almost surreal.

Representing GRM

Looking across into the pit garages

Looking across into the pit garages

Cold and wet race day

devilboy
devilboy New Reader
10/28/10 4:18 a.m.

Saturday Qualifying

We had one of the big screens so we could see all the action

Race Day

Race Day

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
10/28/10 6:45 a.m.

Looks like you had a great time- one question, though- the TV guys mentioned how hard it was to get in and out of there, and that the majority of the lots were dirt- did it take a long time to leave?

And it must have been cool to see the finish under dusk. I think that would have been pretty neat with the exhaust to see.

Eric

devilboy
devilboy New Reader
10/28/10 7:29 a.m.

Months prior to the event I did a lot of careful planning and with the help of some Korean-speaking coworkers, reserved a motel room only 5-10 minutes from the track in the opposite direction of all the heavy main traffic. The parking lots were very spacious and lined with gravel although still a bit muddy on Sunday with all the rain. We always arrived early everyday and parked right in front of the gate. It was stress-free all weekend.

I did get some video and the Lotus cars were neat in that you could really see the blue flames when they downshifted for the corner during the end of the race.

Friday Practice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-oqLorn_WI

Saturday Qualifying: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CxQTR_RU_M

Sunday Race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s5CnLTMYhg (@4:50 Lotus flames)

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
10/28/10 7:50 a.m.

That race was an absolute FARCE. I am glad that Fernando won, but that track was not even close to ready for prime time.

It would have been better to have it at almost any other completed track with ameneties, and you know, buildings...

devilboy
devilboy New Reader
10/28/10 9:32 a.m.

There was still some work being done to the outer grandstands, but the track and all the support buildings were complete. No one could've expected the weather to be so bad. I sat next to a guy from Holland who had attended races in Spa and another I can't recall and I asked him how the Korean track compared to others and he said the Korean track and facilities were top-notch. I agree that it should've been finished months ago instead days before the event. Next year it should be better.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
10/28/10 10:19 a.m.

Am I the only one that is confused as to how you got a Chebby s10 (and a stepside at that) to Korea?

Ranger50
Ranger50 Reader
10/28/10 11:11 a.m.

US military will ship it. :)

nderwater
nderwater HalfDork
10/28/10 12:26 p.m.
Platinum90 wrote: That race was an absolute FARCE. I am glad that Fernando won, but that track was not even close to ready for prime time. It would have been better to have it at almost any other completed track with ameneties, and you know, buildings...

That track is the Ritz compared to the tracks I've driven - how about you?

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
10/28/10 2:06 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: Am I the only one that is confused as to how you got a Chebby s10 (and a stepside at that) to Korea?

Nope, that was my first thought as well.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
10/28/10 2:17 p.m.

Glad to see you had a great weekend there. Did they do an open pit lane walk on Thursday? Reminds me of my trip to Montreal for the Canadian GP back in 2005. The pit lane walk on Thursday was the highlight of the weekend, getting to walk right up to the garage entrances, sittin on the teams' pit wall installations, chatting with a few Williams mechanics, it was very cool.

novaderrik
novaderrik HalfDork
10/28/10 4:02 p.m.
Platinum90 wrote: That race was an absolute FARCE. I am glad that Fernando won, but that track was not even close to ready for prime time. It would have been better to have it at almost any other completed track with ameneties, and you know, buildings...

what amenities do you need for a race beyond a paved track and some cars to run on it?

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
10/28/10 4:20 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: what amenities do you need for a race beyond a paved track and some cars to run on it?

I feel the same way, but I prefer natural-terrain courses instead of those built on re-claimed swamp land.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
10/28/10 4:52 p.m.
novaderrik wrote:
what amenities do you need for a race beyond a paved track and some cars to run on it?

Safety workers for one... How long did that car sit under the tire wall after an accident? I think it was a lotus IIRC (hard to tell, it was 3 AM after all...)

good thing nobody burned, because nobody would have been around with a fire extinguisher.

devilboy
devilboy New Reader
10/28/10 5:33 p.m.

In reply to HiTempguy: Yes, I'm in the military and the government shipped it for me.

devilboy
devilboy New Reader
10/28/10 5:40 p.m.

In reply to pigeon: No I did not get to go near the paddock on Thursday. One of my goals was to get a picture with a couple of my favorite drivers but apparently they have security for that sort of behaviour. I did pass by Nick Heidfeld on the way in but I couldn't recall his name at that moment and I felt awkward calling out to him so I didn't get his pic.

This past September I did get to go through the paddock and garage area and meet some of the crew of Red Bull when they came and did a demo run with Karun Chandok as the driver. I got my pic with him.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uAgfSmHKZsbaNEJ7QNrHtWLNebIXODkoBvMzP4eSfHSVFlkCOipGj4AkcUu3yV4w