BadPax
BadPax New Reader
4/22/19 7:31 p.m.

I am replacing a leaking intake manifold gasket on an L98 in my 91 Corvette.  What a complete nightmare of a job.  I got the intake manifold pulled off finally and am cleaning things up and preparing to replace the gaskets and put back together.  I haven't done an intake manifold gasket on a SBC in probably 30 years so I was hoping to get some advice.   I got a FelPro gasket set, the instructions mentioned taking the main gaskets (side gaskets--not the china wall) in place with a quick setting adhesive before putting the manifold on.  Should glue the main gaskets in place tonight and then RTV the intake side right before placing the manifold on, or is there a better way?  I have read that The Right Stuff is the best sealer for the china wall, but I am a little concerned that it might set up too quickly.  Anyways, this is a job I don't want to again so I appreciate any advice.  Thanks.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/22/19 7:40 p.m.

Right stuff should be fine. Put in on the engine then set the intake in place. You don't have to hurry, but don't stop for a beer either. Don't use the rubber or cork end seals if they came in the kit. I learned the hard way....

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
4/22/19 8:40 p.m.

Intake gaskets weren't a problem on the last SBCI did. I did copper spray on the head side of the gaskets, bead of rtv across the front and back and set the intake down. I sold off all my TPI stuff before I had the pleasure of attacking the runners/plenum/rails puzzle though.

BadPax
BadPax New Reader
4/22/19 11:07 p.m.

Thanks for the input.  I will try the copper spray and The Right Stuff.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
4/23/19 9:38 a.m.

The worst thing about a TPI intake manifold gasket that i can remember is that there are some bolts that go in at a slightly different angle than what it 'looks like' and if you're not careful you can start crossthreading some of them, so watch out for that.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H9DuLlCZwqb8Bs4eunpvvykq46PiKkkFj88CZSJ9qlt4EWfnF8xAvlODk0PbqC0j