1/9/17 9:46 a.m.
Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/9/17 10:10 a.m.

Sad, but not surprising.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
1/9/17 10:25 a.m.

I'd be more sad if they didn't start at $46k and go up from there for what looks like a cross between an Impala and a suppository. I'm not sure who they thought was going to be excited to plunk down fifty large for a plain jane sedan they didn't bother to advertise at all.

They should have left the G8 alone and changed the badges.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/9/17 10:30 a.m.

In reply to Huckleberry:

Surprise factor: Zero.
Sadness factor: Considerably higher than Zero, but not off the charts.

Why? Because it's just the sort of car 'enthusiasts' claim every one of them would go out sell their spare kidney for, but just with other similar offerings no one buys them when an auto manufacturer sells one. See also Miata Club Sport and every mid size to full size sedan with a manual trans sold in the last 20 years.

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
1/9/17 11:07 a.m.

Did they do any marketing for this car at all? It feels like GM's marketers neglected it. They sold about 2/year of them. Honestly, I don't think I've ever even seen one in person.

Has anyone here driven one?

I think it's bland looks really hurt it. It felt uninspired, and people don't buy uninspired.

Dave
Dave Reader
1/9/17 11:10 a.m.

Sad - they never even sold in Canada I don't think.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/9/17 11:22 a.m.

I love them, but they failed to model concept. The starring price of V8 Silverados suggest that they could've made an LS powered rwd sedan in the mid 30s if they left the awesome magnetic suspension for an upper trim level that bumps the price to BMW levels.

What really upsets me is that people purchase hellcat powered chargers over the SS. There is nothing good about the charger and the SS is a nice place to be with a great chassis, amazing suspension, stout rear end. And outside of the .6 sec in the 1/4 mile you'll never notice the nearly 300 hp difference. The IQ of the average American never ciezes to amaze.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
1/9/17 11:22 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Why? Because it's just the sort of car 'enthusiasts' claim every one of them would go out sell their spare kidney for.

No it isn't. The BMW M2 and M3 are cars enthusiasts were asking for. And they buy them by the ass load.

No one said "Hey, Chevy... give me something you already offer as a Cadillac mostly, but option it down a tad and make it cost quite a bit anyway, oh and round off all the edges in case I were to want to insert a scale model of it into my anus without too much discomfort".

Also there is the cache missing... no one wants a 50k+ chevy sports sedan for the same reason no one wants a 100k VW Phaeton. Chevy is not a name that makes parking valets swoon nor heads turn when you roll up to the red carpet.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/17 11:25 a.m.

I'm not sure that I've ever even seen one on the road.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/9/17 11:26 a.m.

In reply to Huckleberry:

The excitement over the SS here an in/on other enthusiast web/print suggests otherwise. M2 and M3 yes, but also the SS.

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
1/9/17 11:27 a.m.

The reason GM is shuttering production in Australia is due to high production costs. When you add the costs associated with importing/rebadging/recertifying these for sale in the US onto that high initial build cost, and there can't be much profit there. I'm guessing GM never really wanted to sell these in high numbers, and therefore didn't market them.

The local dealer has had a few float through the lot over the last 24 months. I want one, but not badly enough to pay 45Gs. I'll settle for a Caprice after the local constabulary is finished with it and pay 1/3rd the price for what is basically the same car with a longer wheelbase and even more plain Jane looks.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
1/9/17 11:27 a.m.
Huckleberry wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Why? Because it's just the sort of car 'enthusiasts' claim every one of them would go out sell their spare kidney for.
No it isn't. The BMW M2 and M3 are cars enthusiasts were asking for. And they buy them by the ass load. No one said "Hey, Chevy... give me something you already offer as a Cadillac mostly, but option it down a tad and make it cost quite a bit anyway, oh and round off all the edges in case I were to want to insert a scale model of it into my anus without too much discomfort". Also there is the cache missing... no one wants a 50k+ chevy sports sedan for the same reason no one wants a 100k Passat W12. Chevy is not a name that makes parking valets respect you unless it's a Vette.

Eh, I'm not sure how accurate that is. I bought a 6.0 GTO new in '05. I heard over and over from "enthusiasts," "if GM made a rwd, manual transmission, V8 coupe with 400 hp, I'd be the first in line!" Yeah, well, they did, and nobody bought them. (I loved mine, fwiw, and would have seriously considered an SS for about $10k less.)

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
1/9/17 11:32 a.m.

I really want one, just like with the GTO and G8 though I will never be able to afford a new one.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
1/9/17 11:34 a.m.

One occasionally shows up to autocross around here. Looks like fun. I'd buy it, if I could convince the wife that the price tag made sense.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
1/9/17 11:38 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: The IQ of the average American never ciezes to amaze.

LOL! If you're going to call people stupid, at least check your spelling first.

(smiley added to emphasize sarcasm)

drdisque
drdisque HalfDork
1/9/17 11:42 a.m.

I sat in one - they were nice enough to bring a manual one to IMS. The interior felt like the same cheap crap as a loaded Impala. Not nearly as nice as a Cadillac. The shifter was notchy and heavy. It did not seem particularly comfortable either.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
1/9/17 11:47 a.m.

I haven't gotten to drive one, but from the passenger seat perspective, I'd give it a thumbs up. Not the nicest interior out there, but it didn't strike me as bad in any way. And the car not standing out isn't a bad thing in a car that would make a good high performance DD. Not standing out usually means being less noticeable to cops, etc.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/9/17 11:58 a.m.

In reply to 2002maniac:

I just resemble the remark.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/9/17 12:26 p.m.

I drove one last year. Hated the seats, but love the way it drove. It feels a lot smaller than it is. But it was always doomed to be a niche vehicle because of it's high price and bland styling. Which is what GM intended, it was only being sold to satisfy a deal with the union in Oz.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
1/9/17 12:39 p.m.

This one's got an R/V Cam!

Also, a ROOF, apparently

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
1/9/17 12:42 p.m.

I think the other thing is that with enthusiasts, they say they want a particular style of car and then it's introduced years later and said people don't have the money or their lifestyle has changed and that vehicle doesn't fit their lifestyle. The other thing is that people are given high hopes from the manufacturer and they are not always met, so that turns people off as well.

If Buick tomorrow, came out with a RWD Coupe with a turbo V6 and called it a GNX, nobody would buy it because unfortunately it would be a $40k car and people would deem it as "Not as Good as the Original" and then it would be a 2 year model because no one wanted it.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/9/17 12:45 p.m.

I'll bet this is another car that holds it's value used way better than people would expect. Look at prices of V8 manual PointyAck G8's, you'd think they were new still.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
1/9/17 1:22 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: I'll bet this is another car that holds it's value used way better than people would expect. Look at prices of V8 manual PointyAck G8's, you'd think they were new still.

Agreed. Discontinued with no equivalent replacement? The internet 2nd hand buyers will hold this up high.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
1/9/17 2:04 p.m.

the manual g8's numbered around 1200.. (gxp models). It amazes me even then how much their value has held.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
1/9/17 2:18 p.m.

The dealership my sister works for just got in a 2009 G8 GXP with a stick. She called me as soon as she brought it in. They are asking $35k for it. Yeah, it's got low miles (29k) and it's clean, but $35k for a 8 year old used "Pontiac". Completely insane.

I was waiting for the Chevy SS to dip in value to consider getting into one, but with this news, that's sure to never happen. The SS is nicer than the GXP since it's based on the next generation Holden, and dare I say it looks better.

I thought they promised to build these in Canada after the Aussie lines shut down? Guess not, and I'm not surprised.

And for $50k, count me in the group of "dumb Americans" that would probably buy a Hellcat if I had that kind of scratch. I think it looks a lot better, I like the interior better, and HOLY CRAP 707 SUPERCHARGED HORSEPOWER.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z6dDbkwjZ7nBO0z7nKWNtWOHdo4NtQ370vul0lqZMBdpXWyly5tSSDnwr9gVqo4R