BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/19/10 9:01 a.m.

Found a '90 Ramcharger locally that seems to have been built into a bit of a wheeling rig (4" lift, roll bar, which bumper, lowered gearing). Body seems to be fairly complete (ie the bottom 3" don't seem to be missing), badly needs a paint job thanks to the mountain sun and probably at least a mexican blanket over the driver's seat or a new seat cover.

Haven't had a chance to talk to the owner yet, but is there anything specific I need to ask/check with these trucks?

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Reader
7/19/10 10:59 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

Those are pretty basic trucks. Pretty much the same configuration since the early to mid '80's. Would have been factory equipped with either a 5.2L (318) or 5.9L (360) V8 with throttle body fuel injection. Neither is a powerhouse in stock form but should be OK to move the rig down the road just fine. If it's a 3-speed auto it's a 727. If it's a 4-speed auto it's a 518.

If it's a native NV truck rust should be minimal. Lots of parts are shared between the RC & the Ram, but the RC will have some bits unique to it.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
7/19/10 11:42 a.m.

I just junked mine, but while I had it and when it worked it was a real hard ass of a truck. I miss it already. I painted it with rattle can OD green and removed all the trim. Mine was a 5.9L w/727. 4X4 system rocked. Biggest problem I had was rust in the body and the fuel line.

BoxheadTim
7/19/10 11:57 a.m.

It looks like it's a native truck around here as a 30 second inspection didn't show any obvious body rust. Looks like it's had a new front fender but that might not have been due to rust. Chassis has surface rust, like the paint flaked off and a little of the brown stuff developed.

BTW, do these require that you have your own oil well?

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
7/19/10 11:59 a.m.

Only real issue that I'm aware of is the vacuum-actuated 4WD. My buddy had a Ramcharger for years, I think the 4WD only worked for about 3 weeks total.

It'll probably have autolocking hubs, too, not sure what's involved in swapping in a set of manual hubs on a Dodge, though.

BoxheadTim
7/19/10 12:14 p.m.

Ah, the 4WD would be kinda useful given that I'm looking for something to drive in the winter and it does tend to snow a little around here.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d5JLtSaYEUaIN0g2HkZr0CyussJwlE9hMod7XJwPwUuJ9VXM7CWWMxZnRzooJgGd