1 2
DanyloS
DanyloS New Reader
1/31/15 7:04 a.m.

BMW X1 is essentially a taller body wagon... it was available with a 6cyl, manual transmission and RWD. (I believe all are now turbo 4cyl automatics)

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
1/31/15 10:12 a.m.

I think you're bellyaching over nothing. "My only choice is a 556-horsepower Cadillac wagon that handles well and depreciates like a stone" - does it matter that the only answer is the right answer?

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
1/31/15 11:11 a.m.

I would kind of agree with the Forester comments especially since the XT is essentially an ST but more practical. A little more tall boxy but remind me of an older volvo wagon when lowered on STI suspension

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/31/15 1:01 p.m.

Per the earlier comment, there are some relatively recent BMW wagons out there. If I was in the market, I would have already bought this one (found on the BMWCCA classifieds).

NMNA

$29.9k

Rare 2012 328iT M Sport Wagon 6 Speed Manual in stunning LeMans Blue Metallic! Interior: Chestnut Brown Dakota Leather Interior Trim- Aluminum This car has to be seen to believed- it is gorgeous and fast World famous BMW silky inline 6, RWD M Sport Package (sport suspension, 17" double spoke alloy wheels- style 194M, M Sport steering wheel, shifter, body kit, rear park distance control, Shadowline exterior trim, Anthracite headliner, Increased top speed limiter) Premium Package (universal garage door opener, auto dimming exterior and rearview mirrors, compass, BMW assist) Value Package (USB and aux input stereo jack) Heated Front Sport Seats (fully electronic adjustable, 2 position memory on drivers side, lumbar and side support) Full double moonroof 49K Miles - Still on warranty $29,971 This car is a dream to look at and to drive but we need a larger family car now

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
1/31/15 1:06 p.m.

Lower a 2wd XJ Cherokee lol.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/31/15 1:29 p.m.
chaparral wrote: I think you're bellyaching over nothing. "My only choice is a 556-horsepower Cadillac wagon that handles well and depreciates like a stone" - does it matter that the only answer is the right answer?

You forgot "ugly".

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/31/15 2:36 p.m.
beans wrote: Cayenne GTS 6-speed?

I doubt he'll find one in his price range, even after depreciation. However, the Cayenne with the base V6 was also available with a 6 spd manual and would be more likely to be in his price range... granted, it gets disqualified by his "no VAG products" rule.

A friend of mine traded her '08 MINI for a 328i wagon manual a couple of years ago. I believe it's also an '08. Her husband is a BMW snob (also has an E46 M3 and an E39 M5 as well as a E36 M3 race car) and was quite particular about which era car they would get, regardless of price (they could easily afford a brand new BMW if they wanted one). This car hit all the right buttons: engine type (last year for M54?), manual trans, no iDrive, etc.

The rumors are very strong the VW GTD wagon (TDI, AWD, 6SM) will be coming to the US next year, although we can be sure the price will be deep into the $30K range. And again: no VAG products...

I don't blame the manufacturers. I blame the US buying public. Every time someone buys a SUV, another wagon dies.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/31/15 6:01 p.m.
chaparral wrote: I think you're bellyaching over nothing. "My only choice is a 556-horsepower Cadillac wagon that handles well and depreciates like a stone" - does it matter that the only answer is the right answer?

Maybe you guys don't care about what a car looks like, but I just don't "feel" the Caddy style for myself. Everytime I see one, I assume my dad is driving it, while snorting coke.

I prefer something a bit less ostentatious, and certainly don't need 556hp. I'd settle for a 328 wagon with it's 250hp or so.

Aside from the fact that the CTS-V wagon is discontinued (IIRC), which means a few years from now, the MT versions of it probably won't be tanking in price....

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/31/15 6:05 p.m.
GTwannaB wrote: Lower a Forester, instant wagon.

The original fozzies looked kind of good when lowered or STI-spec'd. But the new ones just look stupid and weird, like any other lowered soccer-mom-mobile would (lowered RAV4?)

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/31/15 6:06 p.m.

wonder if I could just have the rear end shipped in from Japan and graft it to my WRX. Problem solved :)

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/31/15 6:53 p.m.
codrus wrote:
You forgot "ugly".

Of course. Because it doesn't apply.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/31/15 9:01 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

How close is a Levorg (????) to a late-model Outback? You know... take an Outback and swap out all of the "outback" parts? Just day-dreaming... I doubt you'd want that kind of project for your DD...

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/31/15 9:33 p.m.
Ian F wrote: In reply to irish44j: How close is a Levorg (????) to a late-model Outback? You know... take an Outback and swap out all of the "outback" parts? Just day-dreaming... I doubt you'd want that kind of project for your DD...

Trust me, the thought has entered my mind.

But from what I hear, the Levorg is actually kind of between the Legacy and the Impreza (somehow) but not really clear if it's actually related to either of them mechanically. To me it looks like they stretched the new impreza platform and added a bigger rear, but tough to tell.

Granted my WRX has suspension mods and some other things, but overall I prefer to keep the DD reasonably stock. I'm not even sure what the new Outback is these days. It used to basically be a lifted Legacy, but boy these days it certainly "seems" like a bigger vehicle. That and the Legacy is kid of a piggy in recent years (at least visually).

Funny how Subaru has really followed the "tuner" community with the WRX, and that community has always had an affitinty for real sportwagons. Kind of surprising that there wouldn't be a niche for decent sales of a real wagon impreza/wrx. Really, since the last-gen sedan was actually like 6-9" longer than the hatchback, one would think it would be a pretty easy to make a real wagon version of that WRX. But I guess that's moot now that the hatch doesn't exist either.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
2/1/15 11:52 a.m.

Subaru Legacy out Outback GT wagons.

Volvo V70R

Only two I can think of.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/1/15 12:33 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

Yeah... now that I think about it, aren't the high-volume Subaru models made/assembled in the US? I'd guess the JDM cars are still made in Japan. Might not even be a LHD version.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/2/15 6:34 a.m.

Some of the lowered Forester's I've seen look really good, but I'm talking the current '14 body style.
It's almost like an inexpensive Volvo turbo wagon. (runs away and hides behind couch)

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
2/2/15 8:15 a.m.

Mmmmmmmmm....

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
2/2/15 8:25 a.m.
irish44j wrote:
Maybe you guys don't care about what a car looks like, but I just don't "feel" the Caddy style for myself. Everytime I see one, I assume my dad is driving it, while snorting coke.

Son?
Is that you?
Sniff.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/2/15 3:42 p.m.
Appleseed wrote:
codrus wrote:
You forgot "ugly".
Of course. Because it doesn't apply.

My problem is with the D-pillar. Why is it a foot thick? Stupid, it hurts the visibility, and it visually unbalances the car.

McTinkerson
McTinkerson Reader
2/2/15 4:11 p.m.

What about the new Volvo V60's? They even come in Swedish racing green. You too can support single moms.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
2/2/15 4:29 p.m.
unevolved wrote: Mmmmmmmmm....

The idea is to get something substantially newer than my 2009 WRX....an older Fozzie doesn't do the trick, no matter how much you mod it out..;)

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
2/2/15 4:31 p.m.
McTinkerson wrote: What about the new Volvo V60's? They even come in Swedish racing green. You too can support single moms.

Hmm....didn't realize a wagon was available. There is an electric blue polestar sedan a few houses down from mine. Color me interested....

EDIT: check that, it doesn't appear to be available with three pedals........

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/2/15 7:05 p.m.
irish44j wrote:
The original fozzies looked kind of good when lowered or STI-spec'd. But the new ones just look stupid and weird, like any other lowered soccer-mom-mobile would (lowered RAV4?)

I like that one, hold the black wheels, it looks like a 2011 or so not a 2014. But yeah the 2014's are sorta goofy. They come with six speeds on the non turbo models though.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QeCJs3efElZXclWLDhiB4Os6v8ypTGNaC4Xw2HFUHZNQCVLY7UMpFLbxIGupfrwA