1 2 3 4
poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
7/24/12 11:39 a.m.

We're kind of up in the air with our car situation right now. Plan A was: Get rid of the uber high mile ticking time bomb Integra, buy a used Mazda 5 for mama to drive, and I'll drive the Fit every day to work. But we're close to turning the car seat forward facing, which will free up more room in the Fit, and we're on the fence about if/when we'll have another kid.

This got the gears turning about a DD that's a little more fun to drive than the Fit. Kid hauling would probably be reserved for an emergency-only type situation, so that's not a huge concern.

What do you guys think? I'm hearing "overpriced" a lot. Any other 30mpg hwy sub $10k dead nuts reliable, good looking, and cheap to maintain cars you'd be considering?

PHeller
PHeller SuperDork
7/24/12 11:42 a.m.

Does it need to be said?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
7/24/12 11:49 a.m.

Nope. If I was on the market I'd be looking for (another) RSX for a DD. I loved mine.

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
7/24/12 12:07 p.m.

I berkeleyIng hate miatas. And I really do need 4-seats.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
7/24/12 12:23 p.m.

Last generation Celica? EDIT: My dad's got one of these, GT trim, stick. Pretty good to drive. I am 5'8 and would have trouble fitting a helmet in my preferred "darn close to bolt upright" driving position. No LATCH on his example...don't know if later years would have it. Rear seats are very sculpted - so front-facing car seat would need to be chosen carefully. Britax is right out.

Maybe Focus SVT, but that may or may not get you to dead nuts reliable. Focus SVT can be had in 5 door though, which helps with getting kiddo into and out of the car.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
7/24/12 12:26 p.m.

Celica GTS, Corolla XRS, Matrix XRS.

Anything with the 2zz/6spd combo.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
7/24/12 12:28 p.m.

Oh yeah, I forgot the Matrix XRS existed... that would be a much better option from the Toyota camp.

lnlds
lnlds New Reader
7/24/12 12:31 p.m.

The answer would be the celica gt-s since it is the natural competitor to the type-s. Much cheaper than the type-s and I think it doesn't look half bad wingless.

edit: looks like i was too late

Don't forget the vibe GT the matrix xrs's super fast depreciating twin.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/24/12 12:34 p.m.

Vibe GT, all of Toyota's good mechanicals wrapped in all of GM's bad depreciation!

I'd be all about the devil-you-know until #2 comes though...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/24/12 12:34 p.m.

You're a Honda guy, so I'm thinking that you'll dig the RSX. It's a lot like our old EP Civic Si under the skin. I tracked an RSX a while ago, and with a big rear bar and some mild bolt-ons it worked well. Don't lower them too far, though. For daily driver use, I think you'll like it.

Not sure how easily you can get a baby seat in the back, though.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/24/12 12:36 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Anything with the 2zz/6spd combo.

Elise/Exige?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
7/24/12 12:36 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Anything with the 2zz/6spd combo.
Elise/Exige?

I approve.

We would also accept: MR-S with 6spd 2zz swap.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/24/12 12:38 p.m.

And since we're talking daily driver, what about a "plain" RSX?

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
7/24/12 1:18 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: And since we're talking daily driver, what about a "plain" RSX?

I'm willing to pay the premium for leather and 40 extra HP. There's a really good looking A-spec on craigslist right now...for about the same price as a used Mazda5

I drive 80 miles a day. Aside from a seat with 360,000 miles of man-ass and obliterated bushings all around, the Integra isn't bad. A little more power and creature comfort would be nice though (A/C especially.)

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/24/12 1:23 p.m.

How hard is it to add A/C, rebuild the suspension, and plop a new seat into the Teggy?

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
7/24/12 1:26 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel:

Drive the standard and S type first. The power is all in the top end, and you may find that for DD it really isn't that usable - or not. Also, check what octane is required. I can't remember, but the S type may require higher, thus raising your commuting cost.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
7/24/12 1:26 p.m.
Javelin wrote: How hard is it to add A/C, rebuild the suspension, and plop a new seat into the Teggy?

I'm sure it's not difficult, it's more of a "I'm tired of driving a worn E36 M3 box" and I don't fault him for that.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
7/24/12 1:28 p.m.

IIRC the Type S requires premium. I could, however, be confusing that with the H22 out of my old Prelude...

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
7/24/12 1:37 p.m.

RE: Spending money on the integra: Right now it's a $1500 car. After doing all the the maintenance that would be needed to make it a mildly less annoying DD, it would be a $1500 car that I'd sunk an additional $1500-$2000 into. It has crossed the "Throwing good money after bad" threshold.

I'm happy to say that I'm at the point in my life where I'm not really sweating an extra $200 a year for premium.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
7/24/12 1:59 p.m.

My roommate has a Type S. Its a nice car, but not that nice. The interior is kinda "meh". Its quick in a straight line, but not awesome. It has large doors that I hate. Gas mileage is respectable. The transmission is the standard stupid japanese ultra-berkeleying-tight ratio 6spd. 4000RPM at 80 mph drives me nuts.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
7/24/12 2:13 p.m.
The power is all in the top end, and you may find that for DD it really isn't that usable - or not.

That's ridiculous. The first time i drove a Type-S I only waited until the edge of the neighborhood to use the extra 40hp, and thats only because the owner was in the car with me. The only place you REALLY couldnt get to that power is in a school zone from 7-9 and 2-4.

Its not like a 500 lb ft rwd that wont go WOT and straight ahead at the same time. That power is totally useable unless you have an ingrained neuroses about shifting before 6k rpm.

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
7/24/12 2:13 p.m.
4000RPM at 80 mph

Hmmm. That might be a deal breaker. Worth a test drive anyway!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
7/24/12 2:25 p.m.

Yeah it runs on premium.

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
7/24/12 2:28 p.m.
That power is totally useable unless you have an ingrained neuroses about shifting before 6k rpm.

I'm used to driving Hondas. Shouldn't be a problem.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
7/24/12 2:32 p.m.
Vigo wrote:
The power is all in the top end, and you may find that for DD it really isn't that usable - or not.
That's ridiculous. The first time i drove a Type-S I only waited until the edge of the neighborhood to use the extra 40hp, and thats only because the owner was in the car with me. The only place you REALLY couldnt get to that power is in a school zone from 7-9 and 2-4. Its not like a 500 lb ft rwd that wont go WOT and straight ahead at the same time. That power is totally useable unless you have an ingrained neuroses about shifting before 6k rpm.

Depends where you live. I can't use the thundering 124hp my Saturn makes during my DD commute. Even 1st gear (auto) will exceed the speed limits most areas, and for most of the commute, WOT for anything more than 1 or 2 seconds is just going to put me into the bumper of the car in front of me.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UEkgkxvNVgWGwxokk2BNurILLsCDMvng7ojwvxVxibuheSJvLYWG5CtOmGOQ2KDz