1 2
burgermeister
burgermeister New Reader
6/9/21 8:41 p.m.

That one looks different from the 9 ... is it a light 10 or heavy 10 perchance?

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/25/21 5:55 p.m.

For anyone in the market/area (East TN).

$2500

Edit: posted 7 days ago, updated 5 ago. Maybe not helpful. Pretty, though.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
6/29/21 8:53 a.m.

I finally did it! I have been looking for a deal on a bigger lathe for years.  The market around here is silly. You have to strike within seconds of an ad going up. When covid hit the prices skyrocketed. Old southbend 9 inch flat way machines suddenly started selling for 4k. 

My needs were. Larger swing, relatively short bed, more horsepower and metric threading capabilities.  I also wanted a foot brake. 

When this 80's Taiwanese import came up on auction from Portland state university I placed a bid for what I deemed an ok price and quite shockingly won!

A 14X40 machine with a fair bit of extras. While it is the same length as my Clausing it weighs thousands of pounds more. That weight translates into more rigidity. 

as soon as it gets wired in I will start setting it up, level it out,  transfer the DRO over and try to remember what all the levers do.

I just picked up this stuff for $73. I don't own a lathe nor a mill, and I don't even know what some of this stuff is, but I think I did ok?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/1/21 5:52 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Provided half the cutters are sharp and the measurement tools are well cared for, great deal.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I bought them off a younger guy who's a CNC machinist at the shipyard. He bought it all(and more) from a retired machinist. He kept what he wanted & sold the rest. The tools seem to have been cared for & they feel nice & smooth. 

I've not looked over the cutters very well yet. Some have a bit of rust, but others seem nice & sharp to my untrained eyes. 

Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado Dork
8/23/21 6:50 p.m.
Trent said:

This is my Clausing 4900 series 9X46. My most used tool by far. I have it set up with a shooting star DRO, two 3 jaw scroll chucks, two 4 jaw chucks (all high quality "Buck" chucks) a face plate and a cheap import 5c collet chuck. 

This cheap collet chuck is honestly,  pretty great. I would prefer a proper collet closer setup since this is a scroll and it takes a lot of turns with the key to change change collet. But it is very repeatable and fast.. 

I made a simple collet rack for organizational purposes.  

My tailstock is MT2 as well. I have had no problem finding drill chucks or live centers for it. It is a very common size for hobbyist machines and therefore lots of inexpensive import stuff is out there for not much money.  

I mainly use carbide insert tooling. I don't have the luxury of being able to take the time to constantly maintain HSS so I end up paying more to throw away dull or broken inserts in exchange for fast changeover. 

For insert tools I use banggood.com. ridiculously cheap stuff. Sometimes it will take 3 weeks to get your order but it will show up. Carbide inserts are pennies on the dollar compared to my local machinist supply store.  Like $9 for a dozen instead of $65.

I have a very nice Dorian quick change tool post which is compatible with all the cheap import tool holders.  More holders equals more convenience. I have 6 or 7 and want at least that many more. 

I am currently looking for a bigger lathe. Something in the area of a 15" swing. 

I look forward  to more of this thread

That Clausing 4900 is just the best looking little machine.  laugh

Trent
Trent PowerDork
8/24/21 10:27 a.m.

In reply to Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado :

So glad you are taking such good care of it for me.wink

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/24/21 12:15 p.m.

In reply to Trent :

It's cleaner than the Gas Gas! That's ranking the top spot.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gOGyMgD3uVtJfLuAzYCGTzlOCnzkmNN9KiIn4BXzyhVVbWp3Z2rlPfPCkGTGigbb