Papabishop
Papabishop New Reader
6/30/17 10:40 p.m.

I am hoping to attend my first auto x here soon. Only expirence I've had was at an event was a rally x years ago. I plan on running street to get to know car and hone my skills. My question is the car in question has Kyb gr2 struts. I'm curious if this will put me in higher class?? From what I understand they are Allowed in stock class but id like to verify.

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
6/30/17 11:07 p.m.

Replacement shocks/struts are open in street class.

Papabishop
Papabishop New Reader
6/30/17 11:19 p.m.

What about stock struts from different chassis?¿

chada75
chada75 Reader
7/1/17 3:05 a.m.

What kind of car is it?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/1/17 4:16 a.m.

Yeah... start from the beginning.

What car?

List EVERY modification/change, no matter how insignificant you think it might be.

Then we should be able to help you.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
7/1/17 7:30 a.m.

GR-2s are okay in stock class..

Will
Will UltraDork
7/1/17 8:20 a.m.
Papabishop wrote: What about stock struts from different chassis?¿

Legal unless you had to modify the spindles, upper mounts etc. to make them fit.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
7/1/17 10:25 a.m.

Since it is your first. Just go and run.

When you get to the nationals you can worry.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
7/1/17 10:38 a.m.

From op other recent posts, I'm assuming 1997 subaru forester with 5 speed and "vicious" LSD.

Papabishop
Papabishop New Reader
7/1/17 11:59 a.m.

Yeah it's a forester, I know gr-2 aren't the best but they came with car. They are getting little soft tho, iirc I can use 04ish wrx struts for a "upgrade" , think only have to swap tophats. I do plan on keeping it stock for a bit, hence the question if I go that route I'll stay in stock class.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/1/17 12:06 p.m.

In reply to Papabishop:

1st AutoX??

Don't do a THING to the car. The chance of you winning are slim to none (AutoX is mostly about driving, not about the car). Run it in stock, and don't worry about it. No one will challenge you unless you threaten them.

The only class you are likely to have a shot at winning in your first attempt is the Novice class.

Use it as a learning effort. Learn the car, learn the event, learn to drive, learn if you like it, learn from others, learn about the classes, etc.

THEN decide if you like it, and what class you want to build the car to.

Papabishop
Papabishop New Reader
7/1/17 1:56 p.m.

Well believe it or not the one auto x I raced in I ended up taking first place in my class! Not to brag tho only few others I was up against. But that was different car couple years ago. Any ways I was just curious on if wrx struts would keep me in same class instead of going with direct replacements. The auto x I did wasn't SCCA event so there was only few different classes, need to go read fine print of rules see where I'll stand. Need to replace other parts in front end before I can even attempt first session anyways. Suckiest part is closet auto x is 100 miles away..

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
7/1/17 3:37 p.m.

What condition are your tires? What size and brand? And what PSI? If your tires suck, get new ones. Make sure they have the shortest sidewall available (because it's a Subaru, it's likely balloons), and increase the PSI to 40ish and start practicing driving with it that way.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
7/1/17 6:12 p.m.

Does a Forester fit under the height/width rule ?

freetors
freetors New Reader
7/1/17 11:06 p.m.

What it really boils down to is this; if you've changed springs, the relationship between the spring perches on the shock/strut, or how the shock mounts to the car, then you will no longer be in street. Saying that you've put on wrx struts implies that you have also included the springs which would not be legal. Or even if you used the forester springs, I'd bet that the spring perches are set up differently. With all that said, I would still run it and not worry unless you're taking it to nationals.

Go figure though that baller shocks like penskes etc. are legal in street class with the factory springs....

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
7/2/17 12:24 p.m.

In most local autocross's the tech is more of a safety check and consist of looking under the hood, battery hold down etc. Look in the luggage compartment for loose articles. Look at the tires. The might shake the wheels to make sure they are not falling off. Then your helmet has to be legal. In some cases, classes are combined.

So, papabishop, go and have fun.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RfIrPEg9Q6tBL4ZYFlwFbRffP5bE9BszK1QnQdT8tZNUZ4MDRe1SHCDMsgqb4gMn