1 2
Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
10/12/11 2:45 p.m.

From CNN

CNN Says: NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- General Motors, maker of the Chevy Volt plug-in hybrid, will sell a small totally electric car beginning in 2013, the automaker announced Wednesday. The Chevy Spark EV will be sold in limited markets in the U.S. and other countries, GM said. Smaller than a typical subcompact, the Spark is a so-called minicar. It's a couple of inches shorter than a Mini Cooper. A gasoline-powered version of the Spark is expected to go on sale here early next year. In the past, GM (GM, Fortune 500) executives have expressed doubts about the market for purely electric cars because of their limited driving range. The automaker attempted to market a two-seat all-electric car, the EV1, in some states in the 1990s. GM stopped making the car when laws requiring the sale of electric cars ended in 2003. GM began selling the Chevrolet Volt, a plug-in car that can drive about 35 miles on a fully charged battery before turning on a gasoline engine to generate electricity for further driving, at the end of 2010.

If you hated the Volt, prepare to loathe the Spark. (Although I really liked the Volt...)

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
10/12/11 2:46 p.m.

Meh.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/12/11 3:10 p.m.

and here I thought the Sonic was meh. This is meh x100.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
10/12/11 3:18 p.m.

Meh x 100 = still meh?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
10/12/11 3:19 p.m.

I bet it's smarter than a Smart.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/12/11 3:33 p.m.

I think it's a great idea.. and if I had solar cells on the roof, I would consider it

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
10/12/11 3:38 p.m.

Is that an electric Sonic?

A plug in appliance car might be useful even if not necessarily interesting. I'll withhold judgement until I see more details on it.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
10/12/11 3:41 p.m.

At what point can you just use a golf cart? I mean... they last long enough to get across Manhattan two or three times. They park easy and can carry two adults and golf bags. Half the population of Fla is driving them around town from gated communities.

Probably pretty close to the range and capacity of that silly thing - only you can get a golf cart for about $3500 brand-spankin' new.

mad_machine
10/12/11 3:46 p.m.

considering my commute is 12 miles each way.. perfect

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
10/12/11 3:53 p.m.

Leaf and Spark coming together...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
10/12/11 3:54 p.m.

I like the Volt. I don't see myself liking this. Despite the fact that my commute is only 10.3 miles, I frequently drive more than 20 miles in a day.

Now if they make a very tiny range-extended EV... awesome.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Reader
10/12/11 4:05 p.m.

Much more appropriate name for an EV than leaf IMO.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
10/12/11 4:08 p.m.

If all the energy that was expended debating EVs on automotive web boards could be harnessed, we'd be set for life.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
10/12/11 4:10 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: Is that an electric Sonic? A plug in appliance car might be useful even if not necessarily interesting. I'll withhold judgement until I see more details on it.

It is 14 inches shorter then the Sonic. I hope they make a gas version of the Spark with the turbo motor from the Sonic. That would be a hoot.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/12/11 4:27 p.m.

Meh meet eh = meheh

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
10/12/11 4:33 p.m.

Not to rain on GM's Spark, no need to put out that fire... Ford announced an Electric Focus for 2012 some time ago- http://www.ford.com/electric/focuselectric/2012/

For those consumers who want a car that's not screaming "ELECTRIC"- just mentions it.

Just putting out alternatives.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
10/12/11 4:39 p.m.

Can I please get an electric car that's designed by someone that actually enjoys driving?

Tesla's the only one that's close to being on the right track, and they want too much damn money.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
10/12/11 6:29 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Can I please get an electric car that's designed by someone that actually *enjoys* driving?

This is probably very low on their radar. I'd say 90% of people don't enjoy driving their car. They use it, like an appliance. If it looks good, doesn't cost them a ton of money, and is generally low maintenance then it's a "good" car. Auto manufacturers are focusing on this first. They'll worry about the smaller markets (car guys) once the big ones are covered.

mad_machine
10/12/11 6:39 p.m.

sadly, you are very right about people not enjoying driving. And the ones that do.. are generally younger who can't afford something like this

Aeromoto
Aeromoto New Reader
10/12/11 6:48 p.m.

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
10/12/11 6:58 p.m.

I don't understand why the Chevy Sonic and I guess this car (since there will be a gas version) get so much hate. It doesn't seem all that different from the Fiesta to me.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
10/12/11 7:00 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Can I please get an electric car that's designed by someone that actually *enjoys* driving?

If range is not an issue, these will do nicely
http://www.evparts.com/galleries/1/

http://www.plasmaboyracing.com

mad_machine
10/12/11 9:07 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I don't understand why the Chevy Sonic and I guess this car (since there will be a gas version) get so much hate. It doesn't seem all that different from the Fiesta to me.

I don;t either. I think they are not even bad looking vehicles. Certainly better looking than the prius

HappyAndy
HappyAndy HalfDork
10/12/11 10:14 p.m.
BoostedBrandon wrote: Much more appropriate name for an EV than leaf IMO.

As an EV repair expert, I would certainty hope that any EV built with up to date technology would never have any sparks involved with its operation. It should have brushless AC motors and MOSFET frequency drive/current inverter.

But I realize that the average EV driver understands none of this.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
10/12/11 10:43 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote:
BoostedBrandon wrote: Much more appropriate name for an EV than leaf IMO.
As an EV repair expert, I would certainty hope that any EV built with up to date technology would never have any sparks involved with its operation. It should have brushless AC motors and MOSFET frequency drive/current inverter. But I realize that the average EV driver understands none of this.

It also shouldn't have leaves involved with its operation...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kZPQb4LyAgczJ4EB8GpeYVCO2isQa0virHUk8JAdTmD3vaiaYAvj6f8jIGOOlsAA