91RSImpulse
91RSImpulse New Reader
9/25/15 3:15 p.m.

As the title states I am curious about these cars... I found a 2000 and 2001 Saab 9.3T 5-speed for less than $1k that really do not seem like they would need that much work... I am wondering if these cars are hard to maintain or if the parts are super expensive. Are they fun to drive? I would love to buy one and make it into a VIGGEN lookalike :)

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
9/25/15 7:08 p.m.

I had a 2001 saab 9-3 coupe, 5 speed. Lightly modified to 320hp.

They are a ton of fun, but will never be the best handling cars. These cars really shine in highway acceleration. They are awful off the line,but from a roll they can destroys cars well above their class.

They are easy to maintain providing the maintenance has been done in the past. Oil sludge can be an issue if the pcv fix hasn't been done or oil changes have been neglected.

The coil unit can go without warning and cannot be serviced. Many saab owners will joke about keeping a spare in the trunk... many of them actually do.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/25/15 7:13 p.m.

See here: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/50-best-bad-idea-ive-had/99596/page1/

And the latest project (just getting started) here: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/wheeler-dealers-saab-saga/105785/page1/

Easy to work on. Great acceleration. Cheap!

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
9/25/15 7:29 p.m.

Nordicsaab has it exactly right. I had an '01 5spd wagon. Awesome car for the price. Quick once the turbo spooled up, nice ride, nice interior. Run if there are signs of sludge, and coil unit are the weak points.

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/25/15 9:07 p.m.

I will add check out genuinesaab.com. I watched one of the owners rebuild (make?) a new distributor for a saab sonnet from dust(as in his disintegrated) in the parking lot at an autocross in about 15 minutes. they have a cnc machine and make a lot of their own parts.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v8mIBGo7kbE0wKA0Jsbi1FTmGXy1JFXfB8tE1h1oY7sWJvoaOzSV8qa5qhAKgCpd