1 2
Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
2/17/17 8:58 a.m.

In reply to Cooper_Tired:

I just called, looks like it's gone. But thanks for the offer.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
2/17/17 9:35 a.m.

I have a 04 2.5rs automatic I am selling...

Needs - windshield, exhaust, O2 sensor(s), trans flush, possibly a headgasket at some point (leaks oil, has been for years, daily driverable as is) has a little rust at the rear of the rockers.

180k miles

Make offer, I am open to cheap...

Selling because it was wifes car and her car is our primary use vehicle, needed something fresher and roomier, so got a Mazda5.

Seriously, I need it gone.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
2/17/17 7:40 p.m.
Jerry wrote: In reply to Cooper_Tired: I just called, looks like it's gone. But thanks for the offer.

Its in my driveway....

espz28
espz28 New Reader
2/18/17 4:50 p.m.

In reply to plance1:

Cincinnati used car market is cut throat!

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/18/17 10:21 p.m.
espz28 wrote: In reply to plance1: Cincinnati used car market is cut throat!

Not horrible tho, I searched Cleveland with the intent of linking jerry to some wrxeses and found such a smoking deal I didn't link it here, i just went and bought it for myself

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
2/19/17 1:05 a.m.

Jerry, I'm pullin your chain of course.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
2/19/17 7:29 a.m.

In reply to plance1:

I have to admit I drove past the dealership Friday morning to check & didn't see it at first, kinda buried in a lot of cars (that place is huge). Turned around and went into the lot, and the car was parked against the office building. I thought "son of a bitch", but called them after they opened to talk to the salesguy that answered my email and he said they had had a late test drive and just left it by the building.

So when you said it was in your driveway I thought perhaps you went back to pick it up.

EDIT: the one I called and it's gone is the '06 at Beechmont Subaru. And after looking at the photos of the front end, I don't miss it. Bleh. Upgrades or not, it is not attractive.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
2/19/17 1:01 p.m.

My brother had one when they first came out, with the bugeye headlights, cool car.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
2/19/17 9:21 p.m.

In reply to plance1:

I'd prefer a bugeye '02 or '03 if I could find one affordable, blue, and no/very little rust, which seems to be nigh impossible. But I just saw an '04 WRX pop up on craigslist for $5k in Columbus that's got my attention if this doesn't pan out. (Rebuilt title supposedly for driver's door that looks ok)

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
2/20/17 9:51 p.m.

I finally test drove after work. Took 10 minutes to find the keys, salesguy comes out saying "ok, here's the thing. Testdrive yesterday & they smelled burning oil, put it in the garage, didn't find anything but another testdrive today and smelled it again. They left the headlights on so the battery's dead. But you're welcome to testdrive still."

Drive was fine, pulled nicely, decent cornering, good brakes. The aftermarket gauges seem to be junk, the boost gauge never moved, the oil sat at 0 while idling (yet no idiot lights on the dash). They want to fix whatever the oil burning smell is & won't even talk $$ until they fix it. I said I've been looking at $5-6k WRX's but would buy it for $7k out the door. He didn't sound too thrilled at that but says he'll call when they check the car. I'm not holding my breath. (But should have near the end of the drive, it was quite stinky.)

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/17 10:02 p.m.

You should know by now that it's impossible to leave the headlights on in a Subaru. I'm assuming that is secret code for "We reset the PCM so the check engine light won't be on while you drive it."

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
2/20/17 10:05 p.m.

Lot boy hit the Subaru virgin switch while detailing the steering column?

Also yes, Knurled is correct.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
2/21/17 6:07 a.m.

In reply to Knurled:

You know, I didn't think of that. Even my '01 2.5RS the headlights shut off with the car. He did have to use a jump pack to start it, now I'm really wondering about this car. (Although I did hit my steering column switch once & not ashamed to admit I had no idea it was there at the time)

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/21/17 8:41 a.m.
Blaise
Blaise
2/23/17 7:46 a.m.

Having done the WRX ownership thing and watched several others, I'd steer CLEAR from this one.

I bought my '02 in 2009 for $6700 with 100k. An '05 8 years later for more money makes no sense to me.

Regardless, my strong recommendation is as follows:

1. Get an unmodified one.
  2. Get an unmodified one.
  3. Get an unmodified one.
  4. Replace uppipe (if applicable) ~$40, downpipe ~$100, and do a free tune. And be done.

This particular one has definitely been modified. Even one that shows no obvious signs (like the cheap gauges on the pillar) needs attentive eyes. Expect modified ones to have had the transmission replaced at least once (I remember a friend in 2003 who bought one and blew the trans TWICE in a month) - and the engine is likely not original either. Another tell-tale are the GBODs (check nasioc for more info).

Mine went far beyond my recommendation for mods (I also did injectors, turbo, intercooler, TGVs, inlet, etc) - I really wish I had just left it alone. You get used to the power pretty quick but it's nice to uncork it since the EPA forced it to have THREE cats.

Seriously, look for a stock one. Or let it be a SCREAMING deal. My friend ignored my advice and after fixing multiple issues for him the engine let go. There's even junkyard marks on the motor.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/24/17 7:32 a.m.
Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
2/25/17 1:09 p.m.

In reply to EvanB:

Not really interested in a wagon. If I hadn't just bought the xB in October that would be a completely different story. But for now I'm sticking with sedans.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
htsSe3YQxyIwPp5bSOtsfIShtV5Oy8WVBb8h7b4NLTlg7Vq05D6ILr0AqRAmTexp