1 2 3
Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/15/19 8:02 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

In our case one of the solenoids failed and was like “surprise there’s now metal in your oil, and you have a rod knock”

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/15/19 8:32 a.m.

Okay just learned this in regards to ADM/DOD:

1) All model year 2007 Escalades built prior to 4/1/2006 were built with engines that have all the internal AFM / DOD hardware inside. But the ECM is programmed not to use it, and therefore they run on 8 cylinders all the time.

2) All Model year 2007 Escalades built on or after 4/1/2006 are built with engines that do not have the internal AFM / DOD hardware. This applies to all 2008 and 2009 Escalades as well.

3) All Model year 2010 and up Escalades are built with fully functioning AFM / DOD.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
9/15/19 8:37 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

In that case, you have nothing to be afraid of the engine front.

yupididit
9/15/19 8:43 a.m.

Where's that one GRM'er with the white 07 Escalade? I know he uses his to bring home project cars. 

Damn the search function is not helpful at all when looking for a members previous post. 

Edit: Powar where are you? cool

Powar
Powar UltraDork
9/16/19 7:38 a.m.
yupididit said:

Where's that one GRM'er with the white 07 Escalade? I know he uses his to bring home project cars. 

Damn the search function is not helpful at all when looking for a members previous post. 

Edit: Powar where are you? cool

Howdy. Sorry for the delay...

I've put 30k+ of towing, road tripping, and other abuse on my '07 ESV. I drove diesel Suburbans before this ('87 and '94) and would've bought a Duraburb if GM saw fit to build them. Since they didn't, I went with the 6.2 gasser which meant Escalade or Denali. I don't like the look of the Denalis, so here we are. My truck was more neglected than I realized, but it still serves our needs well at 160k and I don't see us replacing it any time soon.

As was mentioned above, all of the nay-saying based on DOD and AFM does not apply to this truck. That's one of the things that led me to them.

If it is AWD, which was an option, (not standard as someone said above) it will eat the front diff at some point. I bought a rebuilt one for a grand.

When I bought mine (from a dealership in TN), they had new tires put on it. Mine has the same optional 22s as your neighbor's. The tires are made of pure Chinesium, but have actually been fairly great. They're Ironman somethingorothers, were cheap, are quiet, and haven't failed in any catastrophic way.

The rear air suspension is awesome for towing IMO. I had to replace the compressor and rear shocks on mine, but using a Dorman compressor and Arnott dampers, it wasn't a huge financial hit ans it all works great again. I think we did this job around 145k. I just replaced the front upper control arms (Moog) and dampers, springs, mounts, etc (Arnott) last week and it wasn't a bad job at all. Again, the parts were fairly priced from RockAuto.

I used a StopTech brake kit when the time came for those. It was affordable and, while dusty, performs great.

Given the body damage on the one you're looking at, I'd probably just look for a used matching rear bumper, tail light, stock grille, and a mirror and just roll with the rest of the damage. YMMV.

The interior is nice enough and air conditioned seats are the E36 M3, but mine is tan and the color transfer from clothing is infuriating. I can't keep the seats looking nice and I've not figured out what to do about it yet.

Towing dumb things:

Six of us took it to Detroit for the auto show and got caught in a snowstorm:

Seven of us took it to the beach last year:

It is an excellent truck and an excellent car. All of the things that made me love my Suburbans apply to this thing, and the little Cadillac extras are nice too. If you have any specific questions, I'm happy to answer. I'll add this thread to my watchlist.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
9/16/19 9:25 a.m.

You haven’t bought it?

While I hate the added Cadillac electronic bs, that is a steal. 

Do some polishing on that turd and you could flip for an easy $6500.

yupididit
9/16/19 9:44 a.m.
Ranger50 said:

You haven’t bought it?

While I hate the added Cadillac electronic bs, that is a steal. 

Do some polishing on that turd and you could flip for an easy $6500.

Im not in a rush neither is he. He actually doesnt have it for sale or anything. Just a guy that lives across the street. Plus I told him I'll decide in a month or so. 

yupididit
9/16/19 10:11 a.m.

In reply to Powar :

Thank you for replying.

How do you like the electric suspension and how could you tell the rear shocks were going bad?

I did some geewizz window shopping and found a used black rear bumper, mirror, set of tail lights, and OEM grill all for very reasonable prices. 

The interior in the truck is very nice with a tiny stitch separation in the drivers driverseat that's barely noticeable and one of the button got some faded (typical gm). 

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/16/19 10:24 a.m.

I have a 2009 RWD version, 156k miles.  No issues, love the extra features over a Suburban.  Prepainted repro bumpers are cheap on eBay.  So are takeoff wheel and tire sets on FB Marketplace and CL.  Lots of pickup guys shedding wheels from new ones.

When the shocks die, they go rock hard.  

Powar
Powar UltraDork
9/16/19 1:08 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to Powar :

Thank you for replying.

How do you like the electric suspension and how could you tell the rear shocks were going bad?

I did some geewizz window shopping and found a used black rear bumper, mirror, set of tail lights, and OEM grill all for very reasonable prices. 

The interior in the truck is very nice with a tiny stitch separation in the drivers driverseat that's barely noticeable and one of the button got some faded (typical gm). 

Mine had the Z55 (Autoride) suspension. I knew the rears were gone because they use an integrated airbag and I could see that they were damaged and it never even attempted to level itself. I knew the fronts were done because one of them started spewing the supersecretmagnetowhatever fluid all over the floor in my garage and making a E36 M3load of noise over bumps. The truck is back to driving normally now with the Arnotts at all four corners.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
9/18/19 12:57 p.m.

Air conditioned seats?!?

What other GM trucks have air conditioned seats? I seriously want to know 

yupididit
9/18/19 3:25 p.m.
amg_rx7 said:

Air conditioned seats?!?

Right!? Would be an excellent luxury roadtrip/towpig replacement. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/18/19 3:52 p.m.
amg_rx7 said:

Air conditioned seats?!?

I'd assume the High Country edition Silverado has it. In 2015 we rented a Suburban and it had them. It may have even had them in the back, can't recall.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 New Reader
9/19/19 8:24 a.m.

We have two escalades (2002 and 2004) and have converted my brother into an escalade family (2007) as well. Considering you get an HD trans with cooler, 6.0 or 6.2L engine, air ride/autoleveling suspension, and room for large families (up to 8) we couldnt find anything else that compares for the money. I have $15k invested in both of my escalades (total) and have driven them 100k miles so far without trouble excepting a fuel pump replacement and rear shock/compressor replacements. They tow my racecar across country without any issue whatsoever and do it while the kids are watching a movie in the back with the dog snuggled in the middle!

yupididit
9/28/19 4:18 p.m.

Talked to my neighbor today. He's been driving it this past week because his car got totaled. So, he will be driving the Escalade to and from work until his insurance claim is paid out and he replace his mustang. He also had a few things fixed yesterday. I look forward to getting this thing in my hands! 

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
9/28/19 8:30 p.m.
yupididit said:

Talked to my neighbor today. He's been driving it this past week because his car got totaled. So, he will be driving the Escalade to and from work until his insurance claim is paid out and he replace his mustang. He also had a few things fixed yesterday. I look forward to getting this thing in my hands! 

I need to make a road trip to SA and see all yur E36M3 ......yur killing me smalls.............late

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/26/20 11:25 a.m.

1 year bump..  Looking at this tomorrow..  https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/cto/d/chanhassen-2008-gmc-denali-for-sale/7169741261.html

Will pay extra for good previous owner..  

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/26/20 11:27 a.m.

He still trying to sell me that Escalade. I should really make a deal with him. 

He also wants to buy my 924, no lol

Fueled by Caffeine
8/26/20 11:29 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

buy it..

yupididit
8/26/20 11:35 a.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

I still have an Excursion crying

I have nowhere else to put any more vehicles. I keep them between my house and my lady house. And I'm moving in with her at the end of next month. So I've been looking hard for a place. 

Fueled by Caffeine
8/26/20 11:45 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

how bad is that truck.. I could use it.. no rust!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/20 11:48 a.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

That drivers seat looks mint for 185k. Good luck!

yupididit
8/26/20 11:54 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

In reply to yupididit :

how bad is that truck.. I could use it.. no rust!

The Denali you posted is a far better deal. Better shape less miles and all around nicer for not a lot more money than my Excursion (no rust though) lol. I've been shopping similar vehicles to be honest. 

Fueled by Caffeine
8/26/20 12:18 p.m.

OK.. I'm gonna go see it tomorrow then run it by a local mechanic to see what he thinks..

my preffered local mecahnic moved to wyoming.. so.... need to try someone new out.

yupididit
11/9/20 8:02 p.m.

Okay, bumping this up. He hit me up this past weekend and asked if he could bring the truck by. I had him bring it today and was able to drive it and give it a look over. It drove really well and had lots of power. 

Issues:

- Needs front shocks 

- Fuel gauge needle doesn't move off of E (I feel like that's going to be a PITA)

- Front grill ugly

- Headlights cloudy

- Needs ds mirror

- Rear bumper dented/cracked

- AC doesn't always blow cold on ds

- Faded interior buttons

I'm sure there will be more surprises but its just sitting collecting leaves. 

He wants to get rid of it in the next 30 days because he's moving next month. Made me such a deal I couldn't refuse. If it becomes too much of a PITA then I'll just take out the 6.2 and 6L80E and put them un my XJS and part the rest out. I couldn't buy a used 6.2 for the price I'm getting this truck lmao

Expect me to finalize the purchase after Thanksgiving. I need to make room for it. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yPAGpm3yloDhlFIEJ4ZlJrQiJTzgdoeC0G5TnIA8wzmAQ0MaCpZZHeCCkgoHWBgh