imgon
imgon Reader
3/18/16 4:29 p.m.

I need to buy new harnesses and have used 5 point previously. My new seat has holes that look like they are for 6 point anti sub straps to go through but I can't seem to find out how the 6 points work. I grasp the concept that a single strap in your crotch could do some serious harm if you start to submarine. But the 6 point straps seem to just provide two belts to squash your grapes. The holes in my seat are basically under my butt cheeks and my vision of how the straps would come up is that they would ride right up the middle like a 5 point as they buckle into the cam in the same place. Is there something I am missing that keeps them around your legs? Maybe they clip to the lap belt somehow?

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
3/18/16 6:20 p.m.

Mounted correctly they kind of wrap around your inner thighs. The schroth ones I prefer since they have a metal "spreader" for the straps at the plugin point. We have Saferacer ones in the rally car that just kind of come together there so it's not much different than a 5-point really....

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
3/18/16 6:59 p.m.

I think the idea is they go around the twig and berries.

imgon
imgon Reader
3/18/16 7:17 p.m.

In reply to BrokenYugo: That looks like what I was thinking it should look like. I have been looking at the GForce ones and they plug in the exact same way as the 5 point. Any idea what brand those are? Thanks

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
3/18/16 7:19 p.m.

In reply to imgon:

Not sure, those came from google images.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/18/16 7:21 p.m.

This might help a bit, too: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/strap/

imgon
imgon Reader
3/18/16 8:13 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens: There are many places that do a good job explaining how to mount the systems, but most brands don't seem to have a product that differs from a 5 point. I did find a few models that have a design that looks like they separate the straps better, unfortunately they are twice the price of the other models. I typically don't mind spending extra money for safety, but the club I run with requires that I have the same safety equipment for the passenger seat as the driver seat even though I rarely have an instructor with me and I can't bring myself to spend $300 for a harness that wont be used. I think I will just stick with the 5 point. Thanks for the pointers.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
3/18/16 10:06 p.m.

My sabelt 6pts don't squash my nuts at all. I was always taught that that was the point of a 6 vs a 5 point, keep you from submarining without damage to the jewels.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
3/18/16 10:19 p.m.

I've had various brands of 5 points and a set of Schroth 6 points. Never have 5's again, the 6 points are much more comfortable.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QiDWkb6KliBA7kZ9dk931x0O9qw0YgbC02hkaY8Ugjf2HRMFct7PWaXqwVACRdO9