1 2 3
Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/28/13 10:49 a.m.

Snagged or stole depending on how you look at it, a 94 Geo Tracker this morning for 200$. Rough but passable soft top, 5 speed, 160k miles, 4x4. With a jump the engine fired right off, idles a bit high, needs brake work. Former Ohio and West Virginia car so there are some rust spots on the tub, but the frame and suspension look good.

so learn me, what do I do with this thing?

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/28/13 10:51 a.m.

Slam it in the weeds.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/13 11:04 a.m.

Offroader, better for high-speed stuff because of their independent suspension. Also you can do some pretty sweet jumps with them.

beanco
beanco New Reader
11/28/13 11:07 a.m.

Check throttle cable for kinks, may be causing high idle. Also the cable holder breaks at firewall. Set timing,change plugs and wires, drive the snot out of it! Not much can go wrong, computer,fuel pump or throws a rod thru number 3 cylinder wall

beanco
beanco New Reader
11/28/13 11:17 a.m.

Forgot vacuum leak , usually around throttle body or left side of engine next to thermostat housing. Should be a brown thing and a blue thing with vacuum lines snapped off. Try to replace or repair as needed.makes a big difference in idling

Spinout007
11/28/13 11:44 a.m.

Lol i love this place! thanks guys!

bradyzq
bradyzq Dork
11/28/13 12:11 p.m.

Buy a bunch of interior door handles and enjoy.

A friend of mine had one that he basically drove flat out from Montreal to Toronto (about 350 miles) quite routinely. It didn't complain in the least. Mind you, flat out wasn't all that fast... It was a really good little truck.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
11/28/13 12:22 p.m.

I'll give you $400 for it.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
11/28/13 12:25 p.m.

Kinda indestructible! I had one and would still have it if the rust on the frame didnt kill it.

But... It's got a FRAME! I like XJ's but I really like my 4x4's to have a real ladder frame!

Calmini lift and 29" Super Swampers and try every motorcycle trail you can find!

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
11/28/13 12:33 p.m.

DONT ROLL IT!

Lots of rollovers and fatalities in them.

Spinout007
11/28/13 1:07 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: Calmini lift and 29" Super Swampers and try every motorcycle trail you can find!

WHY THE HELL did you tell me about that?!?!?!?!? Damn I'm glad I don't have a credit card!

Spinout007
11/28/13 1:09 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: I'll give you $400 for it.

If I sell it to you I lose my beater car and then the price on my SVX will have to go back up.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
11/28/13 1:16 p.m.

needs more vinyl graphics

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
11/28/13 1:48 p.m.

[URL=http://s265.photobucket.com/user/derekrichardson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-16.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s265.photobucket.com/user/derekrichardson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-15.jpg.html][/URL]

Avert your eyes!!!

Spinout007
11/28/13 2:12 p.m.

Body lift on both of those?

beanco
beanco New Reader
11/28/13 2:27 p.m.

No lift needed, just a heavy right foot and firm grip on steering wheel. Point and go. It will take a beating.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
11/28/13 4:07 p.m.
Spinout007 wrote: Body lift on both of those?

White I'd say no. Yes on the black one. Not a fan of body lifts really. 1" is all I'd do. Plus 3-5" suspension lift.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
11/28/13 5:39 p.m.

While we're at it, this is my son's

He still has it, but his DD is a 91 4dr that he bought a few years ago with 8000 km on it.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps HalfDork
11/28/13 6:09 p.m.

In reply to beanco:

What he said. It will fit 29"s with out as lift.... interior door handles are cheap on eBay now $20 will buy you a pair. order them now you will need them

BBC

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
11/29/13 7:25 a.m.
Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
11/29/13 7:27 a.m.

calmini.com

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
11/29/13 8:23 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

Ow, my neck hurts from watching that.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
11/29/13 8:33 a.m.

In reply to Spinout007:

They are extremely capable in stock form with good tires, don't go crazy modding it before you even use it. I'd score some terrain-appropriate tires (usually mud tires around here, but YMMV) and hit some trails and see what limits you out on the trails.

The frame kinda hangs low on these things and so lots of people end up needing a suspension lift, but it's dependent on the kind of wheeling you do. My advice is to throw some decent tires on and see where you run into trouble. You might find out that a lift is totally unnecessary where you are wheeling, but you'd really like to add a lunch box locker, or a winch, or gears.

The other exception to that advice is a sturdy steel bumper and maybe some sliders. If you wheel around trees at all they can be really nice to have, especially if you want to keep the truck street legal.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
11/29/13 8:46 a.m.

At 4.62 or 5.13, you won't really need any R&P gearing increases.

But I agree with the above. Plus it's more fun to see how far your driving skills can take a relatively stock vehicle before you start over-prepping it!

Spinout007
11/29/13 9:30 a.m.

To be honest, when I got the phone call on it I was looking for a beater to replace the SVX(selling it to pay bills) as my dd. I got a call from a friend who I hadn't talked to in about year or so, asking if I was still looking for a cheap geo. My response was "how cheap?" When I heard $200 I said I would be happy to take it off their hands, knowing if all else I could take it straight to the scrap yard and get 250-400 out of it with a title. When I found out it was a tracker, I was optimistic, then it came out that it was a stick, then 4x4, then 160k on a 94. I got a little kid like giggle going on driving it around their neighborhood yesterday even with no real brakes. I'll prob pick it up this weekend with a trailer instead of just waiting till dark and babying it home without brakes. All but the last 2 inches of the brake pedal do nothing, then it goes from next to nothing to locking the right rear. I'm assuming it's got a rusted line, a bad master or the brakes just really need a good bleeding.

Wheeling wise, I was happy to have something with 4wd that I could run to the beach with. I haven't done any trail riding in years. So long that most of the trails I used to run have been closed, or are now private land. I have no desire to play in mud. Sorry it's just not my gig, it tears stuff up, and for what? Finding tires has proven to be a challenge. Lots of passenger car/minivan stuff out there in 205/75r15 but not so much in an AT tire. MT's are usually overkill for the 90% of the time this thing will see asphalt. Not to mention the size issue. Moving up to a 28" or 29" tire may open that up a bit.

Over preping huh? Is there such a thing? I'm thinking good tires, make sure the engine runs good, a good back and front bumper with a small winch mounted out front, and she will be good for now. Ideally I would go for sliders and a swing out tire carrier/jerry can mount as well. HF has a 2000lb winch on sale right now for 60$. Add a pull buddy/pal (whatever they call that land anchor) and call it good with the bumpers though. Should be enough for beach cruising, occasional camping trip.

Edit: Thoughts on manual hubs for peace of mind vs the stock autolocking hubs?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DItG6rfM2fbRi0X45w3F1dCdFtbudZ0lRt54r1mHisGE74iEKsfjRKYdKiEV2D2Q