Jackrabbit
Jackrabbit New Reader
2/6/09 3:03 p.m.

I'm seriously considering buying a BMW M3, but don't know much about them. Nothing too new, looking 2005 and older.

I'm sure you guys know what years and trannys and such are better than others, so please guide my wallet in the right direction.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
2/6/09 3:04 p.m.

Are you looking just at the E46? Or are you looking at the E36? What kind of price and mileage restrictions are you operating with?

Duke
Duke Dork
2/6/09 3:09 p.m.

How about a little info to go on, you know:

How much?

What for?

A few minor details like that will go a long way.

bam2002
bam2002 New Reader
2/6/09 3:13 p.m.

I would think an e36 is a good bang for the buck. Go late 90s. The 1995 has more things to worry about and less HP. Stay around 100k miles unless it has service records.

B

Jackrabbit
Jackrabbit New Reader
2/6/09 3:48 p.m.

Sorry, like I said I don't even know much about them. I don't even know the difference between a e36 and a e46.

Looking to stay under $25K, I'd like the mileage around >60K. Not for racing too much, more just a daily driver with some fun in it.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 HalfDork
2/6/09 3:52 p.m.
bam2002 wrote: I would think an e36 is a good bang for the buck. Go late 90s. The 1995 has more things to worry about and less HP. Stay around 100k miles unless it has service records. B

HP stays the same. Just slightly more torque with the later ones with the move from 3.0 to 3.2 motor.

Later ones are also OBDII, bringing some tuning woes.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 HalfDork
2/6/09 3:52 p.m.
Jackrabbit wrote: Sorry, like I said I don't even know much about them. I don't even know the difference between a e36 and a e46. Looking to stay under $25K, I'd like the mileage around >60K. Not for racing too much, more just a daily driver with some fun in it.

Didn't see this. You need to look at a 6.0 GTO.

walterj
walterj HalfDork
2/6/09 4:11 p.m.

I shaved with one this AM... 3 blades of stubble rending beauty. Which M3 were you interested in?

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
2/6/09 4:24 p.m.
Jackrabbit wrote: Sorry, like I said I don't even know much about them. I don't even know the difference between a e36 and a e46. Looking to stay under $25K, I'd like the mileage around >60K. Not for racing too much, more just a daily driver with some fun in it.

The E36 is the 90's 3-series chassis. It came with an engine pumping out about 240hp. The S52 engines are very solid and dependable. They are very inexpensive right now, since they're pretty much at the bottom of their depreciation curve.

The E46 is the early 2000's 3-series chassis. The M3's got an S54 engine that produces around 330hp and makes the car a real go machine.

If this will mostly just be a DD, you might want to look at a more basic 3-series. Even a "base" 3-series can be a lot of fun. Everything on the M will cost more, from the bigger tires and brakes, to little things like the 02 Sensors. I would recommend an E46 330i as a very comparable car that will cost less to operate.

z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
2/6/09 4:55 p.m.
Salanis wrote: I would recommend an E46 330i as a very comparable car that will cost less to operate.

This is exactly the suggestion I was going to make. If it will be a DD, just add the fancy looking bits, a nice suspension and nice wheels and call it a day.

The M54 in the 330i is still no slouch.

Jackrabbit
Jackrabbit New Reader
2/6/09 5:51 p.m.

Good info guys I appreciate it! BTW my post above should read <60K miles. Not greater than.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
2/6/09 6:01 p.m.
Jackrabbit wrote: Good info guys I appreciate it! BTW my post above should read <60K miles. Not greater than.

Aha. You'll be hard pressed to find an E36 with that kind of mileage. A non-M E46 will probably do you the best.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
2/6/09 8:03 p.m.

M5

Jackrabbit
Jackrabbit New Reader
2/7/09 10:40 a.m.

So I started looking around at the 330 Bimmers, and have a couple quick questions. What's the difference between the 330i, 330xi and 330ci? Also what exactly is the "sport package"?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!

z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
2/7/09 10:40 a.m.

^E28 M5 no less.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
2/7/09 11:00 a.m.
Jackrabbit wrote: Sorry, like I said I don't even know much about them. I don't even know the difference between a e36 and a e46.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/7/09 11:01 a.m.

x means AWD, c means coupe.

Some people are weird - they know cars by the name on the outside, not by the manufacturer chassis codes. Every time I start dealing with a new car, I have to learn the special lingo that internet nerds like to use for that particular model. So it's not surprising that someone who's just looking for a nice daily driver BMW wouldn't know E36 M3.

Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
2/7/09 1:15 p.m.
walterj wrote: I shaved with one this AM... 3 blades of stubble rending beauty. Which M3 were you interested in?

3 blades?! Are you in the dark ages? They have 5-blade technology now!

I agree with the above. Having had multiple generations of M3, if you are really just looking for a street car, I love love love my 6.0 GTO. However, I also really did love my '02 (that's an E46) M3 SMG (the sequential gearbox). I drove it daily and put a donkeybuttload of track miles on it. Great, great cars.

The E36 really wasn't my cup o' tea.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
2/7/09 1:44 p.m.

05-06 GTO FTW, I'm wishing I would have went that route instead of this powerless Fit

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
2/7/09 3:12 p.m.

Well my post won't help you decide which one to get but it may help you clean it up when you get it. This is a great link if you are into detailing.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=80165

By the way this has been posted many times before.....just thought it may get you fired up a bit.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/7/09 7:05 p.m.

while I never drove the M3 in any guise.. I can tell you that I prefered the e36 over the e46.

yes, the E46 is MUCH prettier and more modern looking than the E36, it is pretty much the same car under the skin. Even so, I felt the E36 was more connected to the road than the e46. Less insulation and isolation in the older chassis I guess.

Who am I to kid though? I prefered the handling of the "compact" or 318ti hatchback over that of the 328

noisycricket
noisycricket Reader
2/7/09 8:13 p.m.

I am surprised nobody has started the obvious.

The E36 M3 is the E36 M3!

motomoron
motomoron New Reader
2/7/09 10:24 p.m.

For a fun DD if you can go over $20k, an e46 M3 is a really fast, balanced, plush car. I sort of long for one when I'm driving my built e36 M3 on the street and beating myself up. When I'm caning it mercilessly at a track day or pursuing my futile quest of campaigning an e36 in SCCA STU class solo events however, it's the best balanced most fun car I've ever driven.

A really, really nice e36 M3 is hard to find. I took 6 months to get the year-mileage-color-history-options (or lack of options) I wanted, but it was worth the wait.

It was a superb DD 'til it got 525/620# springs-AST coilovers-big swaybars-etc-etc. Now it's a bit "hard edged" as a DD, but as I said, it's a hoot when you're giving it some stick.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3c9aIZVbfIyWA77JxXPE37yFTrtnxOu9NO3GZ1c1ssi1GdTdEc2f3CbaHrswrD8W