1 2
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/17 11:21 a.m.

When I need to know that kind of information, I go to the brochures in the Miata.net FAQ. Best source of information, unsullied by "I remember reading..."

According to those, the Suspension Package (Bilsteins and LSD) was optional on the 2006 Sport and Grand Touring. In 2008, Touring and Grand Touring. The 2008 SE also got an LSD as standard. The 2013 Club also has the LSD as an option.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/17 8:09 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot:

We're about fifteen minutes from Brewster. As for the car's history, no accidents, no mechanical issues. She had the top replaced because the original one wasn't sealing properly. She has receipts for every oil change. It's a nice car.

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
4/13/17 8:57 p.m.

I'm about 30-40 minutes from Brewster. It's not going to get much more convenient than that, and the car sounds promising. Please send along the pics when you have them.

GroupSects
GroupSects GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/14/17 10:18 a.m.

If you're after a NC with a LSD this is a useful link: https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=482644

Basically if it has Bilsteins and a 6 speed it should have a LSD. If it's an 06-08 with HID lights/traction control and a 6 speed it should have a LSD. Now figuring that out from an internet ad is difficult. There's at least 1 exception with the '07 MSR having a 5 speed and a LSD, but those are fairly rare.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
4/14/17 1:45 p.m.

I have a '15 GT soft top as my DD. It has been a great winter car, but I shed a tear last week when switching from winter to summer tires, and seeing rusty suspension bolts underneath. The stock suspension (even with Bilsteins) is the car's biggest downside; it's just too soft. I am planning to switch to FM Fox in the next few months.

I much prefer the soft top for actual top-down use. I can casually flip it up or down at stoplights, and don't hesitate to drop the top for 10 minute drives. If I had to wait 15 seconds or whatever for the hard top, i don't think I would bother most of the time. It is loud, though... using the hands free system is a joke on the highway.

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/17/17 9:51 a.m.

My current DD is a 2008 GT PRHT. I added the smartTOP module from Goodwin so I can raise or lower the top while moving, and I replaced the useless center console cup holders with a storage bin from Moss. Small changes, but they make the car much more livable.

Echoing what others have said, the seats aren't for everyone, and the suspension is too soft, especially in the rear. With two people and a loaded trunk on a road trip the rear hits the bumpstops constantly. I'll be spending my tax return on a Bilstein & Progress setup.

The owner's manual calls for premium fuel, and that's what I use. I did a few tanks of 89, but the car is noticeably happier with 93, and gets better mileage to offset the added expense. YMMV, of course.

Keith Tanner
4/17/17 10:38 a.m.

Watch out for aftermarket springs, most of them are too soft for their ride height and you'll end up with unwanted bumpstop engagement. Having a proper spring rate makes things a lot more comfortable. Also, Bilsteins jiggle too much.

You can do a lot better than Bilstein/Progress for the money.

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/17/17 11:16 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner: Thanks for the heads up. What suspension setup would you suggest?

Keith Tanner
4/17/17 2:22 p.m.

I'm a little biased, but I'm also in the position of being able to do something about it if our stuff isn't the best available. Flyin' Miata Stage 1 will probably make you quite happy.

Rodan
Rodan Reader
4/17/17 9:53 p.m.
JeffHarbert wrote: I'll be spending my tax return on a Bilstein & Progress setup.

+1 on what Keith posted. We started with Bilstein/Progress ('13 Club). The Bilsteins weren't up to the spring rate, so switched to Koni, but by that time the Progress springs had sagged significantly in the front. They were also too soft for track work. Replaced the Progress springs with FM, and have been happy ever after. At least until I can come up with the $$ for FM Fox...

GroupSects
GroupSects GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/18/17 8:36 a.m.

I'll +1 the FM springs too. They're more comfortable in a DD situation than stock or progress because there is enough spring rate to be able to keep the car off of bump stops. Progress springs drop the car a little bit but it still feels pretty floppy.

Shock wise I've only got experience with the sport package Bilsteins and OTS valved Koni Yellows (not the FM valving). The Bilsteins are way too busy at least on stock springs, the Konis are good.

Woody
4/18/17 10:47 a.m.
02Pilot wrote: I'm about 30-40 minutes from Brewster. It's not going to get much more convenient than that, and the car sounds promising. Please send along the pics when you have them.

I took these pictures this morning:

photo IMG_8972_zps7ja8wahy.jpg

photo IMG_8975_zpsopjwmz5g.jpg

photo IMG_8976_zpsuwn9xjpz.jpg

photo IMG_8978_zps42vtvh4b.jpg

photo IMG_8981_zps9bvncnsm.jpg

photo IMG_8987_zpsenzkyvck.jpg

Woody
4/18/17 10:50 a.m.

^Original owner, clean title, no accidents, new top and new Michelins last summer. Trying hard not to buy this one for myself...

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/18/17 12:26 p.m.

Dang woody, I'd rock that in a heartbeat. Too bad I'm already shipping one car this month. :)

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
4/18/17 2:37 p.m.

Thanks, Woody. I replied to your message.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
4/18/17 6:55 p.m.

I'm interested in the PRHT. If I was going to get one with a soft top I'd just buy an S2000.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
88HMYjT0HNWmenm2ikgl8Jy0ZxVhzlF1F20BX8cnGd73PycNCPXlnZFAmq9HfIvJ