1 2 3
rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
5/25/21 6:36 a.m.

In reply to Jerry :

Even if it doesn't check out in terms of condition / maintenance history, it's at least a good chance to go drive it and see how you like the thing. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
5/25/21 6:43 a.m.

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i

Found the non-Facebook Marketplace listing on my desktop, easy to share link.

Looking at the Carfax it isn't perfect, looks like someone can't maintain a distance to the car in front.  But doesn't appear to be any serious accidents.  I realized I just need this to last 3-4 years, the Crosstrek would be paid off, and I could trade/sell for my next car.  Likely a new or few year's old 2nd gen BRZ.

(@rslifkin yeah it's like 20-25min away, if I tried I could even see it on the way home from work.)

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
5/25/21 6:57 a.m.

Or for a bit more ($13.6K) there's a twin turbo 2012 BMW 328i...

2012 BMW 328i Twin Turbo

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
5/25/21 7:04 a.m.

I looked at the Carfax. Go drive it, look it over very carefully, and offer no more than 6k if you want it. Seriously, there are a lot of accidents and little service history. That car is very likely a pile of expensive deferred maintenance waiting for someone to start paying for it.

Edit: Just saw the second one you posted. No. Just no. Modern BMW turbos are not the car you're looking for.

Aspen
Aspen HalfDork
5/25/21 1:30 p.m.

What is a 328i twin turbo? The 328 got a single turbo 4 banger didn't  it?  The 335i was twin turbo.

rothwem
rothwem Reader
5/25/21 2:27 p.m.
Aspen said:

What is a 328i twin turbo? The 328 got a single turbo 4 banger didn't  it?  The 335i was twin turbo.

Bro don't question it.  Look how fasssssst it is, the camera can't even keep up!!

Kidding kidding. The F30 never got a twin turbo.  What's confusing is that BMW called their twin scroll turbos "twinpower", so now all turbo bmws are "twin turbos".

Anyways, has anyone noticed that all E36's have disappeared from craigslist except for convertibles?

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
5/25/21 4:23 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

I sent a message to ask if still available. Just got an email saying someone has a deposit on it, but there's another similar model with a manual available. At least they figured out the audience.

Aspen
Aspen HalfDork
5/25/21 7:08 p.m.

Jerry, I don't think a 10k budget for a turbo BMW will get you anything other than heart ache.  Too much to go wrong or something with really poor cosmetics. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/25/21 8:18 p.m.
racerdave600 said:

In reply to dyintorace :

Nice!  Tell me about the wheels?  I was leaning about replacing mine with a set of 135i rims, but I like those quite a bit.

Sorry! I lost track of this thread. They are 18"'Apex ARC-8 wheels, in 1-series fitment. One of the few wheel set ups you can order for a 1-series. 

dyintorace
5/25/21 8:20 p.m.

Another view. 

dyintorace
5/25/21 8:22 p.m.
cyow5 said:
z31maniac said:
Placemotorsports said:

In reply to dyintorace :

Also interested in hearing how much more power you squeezed out of it

IIRC, if you do the intake, intake manifold, header full exhaust and tune you can wring another ~40 or so hp out of the car.

If you add the 3-stage manifold from a _30 and a tune, that alone is like 30 factory rated hp and not the fuzzier aftermarket breed of horses. Once you add the 3-stage manifold (if new), euro intake, and a full exhaust, you are creeping into centrifugal supercharger territory though. Still, something is to be said of keeping the nature of the car as it was, I guess. Personally, it's a dilemma. 

These are about the power numbers as I understand them. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y0Pi1ID1oEVZPdH2qjgzhZrHm4l8B5zy3A8qDrAgtKJ5aPQ0Pebq93HA5WEMn96r