CraigKN
CraigKN New Reader
10/16/09 8:18 a.m.

So a local dealer has a 06' Boxster, CPO, with most of the goodies that I'd like on a car. I'm looking for a daily driver that can compete in a ST class - dont want to lug around race ruber. I'm not a good enough driver for the car to matter one way or the other, but having a semi-decent car for STR would be nice. Other options in the "I want a STR convertible that is nice" column would be a S2K or a NC Miata.

Any comments on a reasonably late model Boxster with factory warranty?

Soma007
Soma007 New Reader
10/16/09 8:53 a.m.

In reply to CraigKN:

Last I checked no Boxster was eligable for the new STR class. That could have changed though...

Jason

CraigKN
CraigKN New Reader
10/16/09 8:58 a.m.

In reply to Soma007:

This is what I was going off of: http://www.scca.com/newsarticle.aspx?hub=3&news=3629

Eligible vehicles will include, but is not limited to: - All STS eligible vehicles per the requirements and restrictions, plus - Honda S2000 - Mazda Miata - Mazda MX-5 Miata - Toyota MR2 - Toyota MR2 – Spyder - BMW Z3 (non M) - BMW Z4 (non M) - Mazda RX-7 (non-turbo) - Porsche Boxster - Porsche 968 - Porsche 944 (non-turbo) - Pontiac Solstice - Saturn Sky

This might have changed, if so my bad!

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/16/09 9:31 a.m.

FYI - The SCCA approved the "final" rules of STR this month. If you check the October FastTrack online it says they approved the rules as presented in September. The car list is slightly different and they are not allowing STS cars in. If it's on the list it can run, otherwise it cannot. I'm 90% sure Boxster was still on there. I know Miata, MX-5, S2K, 350Z, 944/968, N/A RX-7, and the MR2/MR-S were all included for sure.

Soma007
Soma007 New Reader
10/16/09 9:47 a.m.

In reply to CraigKN:

Yeah, that was the original proposal which changed a bit before the final version which was in the August Fastrack.

http://www.scca.com/documents/Fastrack/09/08/09-fastrack-aug.pdf

Sorry, no Boxster.

Jason

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
10/16/09 9:58 a.m.

Research the maintenance cost and schedule. I have no idea what they are but I'd want to know.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/17/09 10:04 a.m.

Boxsters are rock solid cars. I've owned 2 (just parted with my second). They are great cars to live with day to day, just make sure to get a proper manual!

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
10/17/09 2:36 p.m.

the only thing I have heard bad about Boxsters are the spontaneous engine explosions on the early models...

a CPO 2006 should be a great car.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/17/09 2:39 p.m.

On the plus side, a lot of those suspect engines should have been replaced by now. Tim Sharp, longtime GRMer, has an early S. Nice car.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/17/09 3:31 p.m.

I want one..

My dad gave me the P-car-lust disease..

A Boxster(or miata) plus a diesel tacoma/CRD liberty = the perfect daily driver utility combination in my opinion.

CraigKN
CraigKN New Reader
10/17/09 8:09 p.m.

I'm probably going up to test drive the Boxster tomorrow, I'll report back!

Thanks for the help!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/17/09 11:14 p.m.

be sure to tell us how much you love your new porsche

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/18/09 9:20 p.m.

If I were buying a Boxster (and I almost did), I'd either buy the cheapest one I could find, or pay up and get a Porsche CPO car.

Porsche takes pretty good care of their warranty customers, especially if you have a decent service history. I'd just be too nervous around a Boxster in the $15-18k range if it didn't come with a warranty.

Peter Egan said of his Boxster S: "It's a car that I can barely afford to own, but not to fix."

...and he's a much better mechanic than I am.

CraigKN
CraigKN New Reader
10/21/09 1:39 p.m.

I've noticed a few Cayman's locally that are in my price range. One is a dealer owned car, a loaner with 19K miles. CPO, the add says they did the 20K maintenance, and replaced the breaks and tires. Not sure if that means it was driven hard and put away wet, but its a beautiful red/tan.

Either way, I'm only looking for 2006 or newer CPO cars.

tuna55
tuna55 Reader
10/21/09 2:02 p.m.

I'd actually go Cayman over Boxster - but that's me. I only test drove the Cayman S, but it definitely gave me P car disease for a long time.

CraigKN
CraigKN New Reader
10/21/09 2:05 p.m.

There are about a half dozen Cayman S's from $33-39 locally, all with very low miles. Apparently people buy the things, park them in a garage, and forget about 'em. I have yet to find one with PASM, however.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/21/09 2:14 p.m.

A Cayman S is a serious fast car. When I was doing track days in my Stalker, I never had any difficulty with a Boxter, but a couple of Cayman S' gave me battles. I'd defniitely buy one over a Boxter.

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
10/21/09 4:05 p.m.

I dunno, to me a Cayman says only one thing: "I can't afford a 911."

tuna55
tuna55 Reader
10/21/09 4:11 p.m.

No way man - the Cayman actually has better weight distribution than the 911. The dealer (OK, fine, he's probably a liar) said the only reason that it wouldn't beat the 911 around a road course is the differential.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/21/09 4:11 p.m.
White_and_Nerdy wrote: I dunno, to me a Cayman says only one thing: "I can't afford a 911."

To me 911 says "I care about image and/or tradition enough to accept an antiquated layout."

edit: And the only reason that some rear engined cars are still faster is because Porsche deliberately hamstrings their middies. It's kind of like how GM and Ford would eviscerate any of their products that got too close to pony car performance.

CraigKN
CraigKN New Reader
10/21/09 4:20 p.m.

I could care less about a car's stature. While lauded here, my first fun car - 94' Miata - was wildly described by ‘friends’ and coworkers as a "chick car". Same deal with my 05' Mini Cooper S. When I managed to get them in the passenger seat for a spirited drive - they changed their tune immediately, usually yelling something like "OH MY GOD SLOW DOWN WE ARE GOING TO DIE!!!".

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/21/09 8:22 p.m.

For me, 911 says, "I need a place for the baby to sit".

But, if I were buying a new Porsche, it would be a Cayman S.

CraigKN
CraigKN New Reader
10/21/09 8:26 p.m.

I'm test driving a Cayman S this weekend. I just drove a 2010 Miata, however.. if I'm looking to spend 10K less, the Miata would be at the top of my list, great car, reminded me of my 94' quite a bit.

Grinch337
Grinch337 New Reader
10/22/09 2:58 p.m.
White_and_Nerdy wrote: I dunno, to me a Cayman says only one thing: "I can't afford a 911."

Even so, who cares? You are still getting one of the best handling cars available today.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bYs77YlB5Jvf9txJIAJaOZz9UwmSb7MB7B9EDLflY2SQ7OPjGzfeI0MbnGRhBD1X