1 2 3 ... 5
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
8/3/16 8:39 a.m.

Let's say, hypothetically, we're considering a big trip cross country, mainly exploring the southwest but making a big loop through national parks and such. "We" in this case being two people and two dogs. With a budget of around $5k for the vehicle, is something similar to this RV or this trailer preferable? We have a tow vehicle but it's not a monster, we're not going to be pulling a 5th wheel or anything.

Pros and cons of each? We're up for some adventure in terms of needing to repair stuff in the middle of nowhere, just not constant failures. Both options scare me since the choice seems to be between a E36 M3ty old truck with a poorly constructed house on it and a E36 M3ty old trailer with a poorly constructed house on it.

I figure anything with a common drivetrain will be fixable, I especially like the little Toyota based RVs for the cool factor but am not sure about a 22r moving the thing if we visit Colorado, for example. I know nothing about the trailers other than that they're pretty heavy and I would probably prefer for the whole arrangement to be one big space rather than a truck + trailer... but then again, if we can drop the trailer we can do more exploring.

Drop some knowledge on me!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
8/3/16 8:43 a.m.
Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
8/3/16 9:04 a.m.

My only experience with RVs is pulling a 440/727 out of one, but I think I like the theory of these short wheel base Winnebagos.

Though I have a feeling that short of a wheelbase on that big of a thing could get interesting. Plus they seem to come with small blocks fairly often. I knew a guy that had one with a 318 in it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
8/3/16 9:07 a.m.

In reply to Chadeux:

That thing looks great to me, but I don't really know the market. Can a serviceable one be had for my budget?

Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
8/3/16 9:15 a.m.

I did a short search, I don't now how typical this is, but I found a fairly minty looking longer one for $7k.

No idea how hard it's going to be to actually find one of the tiny ones.

I'm probably more clueless than you here if I'm honest.

java230
java230 Dork
8/3/16 9:17 a.m.

The Toyota campers are exactly what you expect, reliable (well the rear end gets taxed on the bigger ones)and slow as a turd.

My wife greatly prefers the RV, you can get up a walk around on long trips, make snacks, use the bathroom etc.

On the trailers, you might consider a hard sided one, heavier, but so much nicer if the weather gets crappy, no wet canvas. Also if the dogs are escapers, the canvas may not be a good idea anyway.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
8/3/16 9:20 a.m.

In reply to java230:

The one I linked is hard sided, canvas is out. The dogs won't go through it but they will probably bark if it moves. As the owner of a 4x4 RV, thoughts on the value of it vs 2wd?

IndyJoe
IndyJoe Dork
8/3/16 9:51 a.m.

If going with an RV, spend the cash to get a newer one with fuel injection. Because elevation changes.

I think the trailer drop & explore with tow vehicle would be a plus here. That's why so many RV's tow a small car behind them. Driving that RV beast on cool mountain pass roads would SUCK!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
8/3/16 10:02 a.m.

In reply to IndyJoe:

I don't know, SpinTires is a pretty fun game and it could just as well have been named "hopelessly stuck large vehicle simulator"

java230
java230 Dork
8/3/16 10:02 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: In reply to java230: The one I linked is hard sided, canvas is out. The dogs won't go through it but they will probably bark if it moves. As the owner of a 4x4 RV, thoughts on the value of it vs 2wd?

For what I do wit it 4x4 is valuable, but it sits all summer. 4x4 add gas mileage penalty, if you never use it its not worth it. I LOVE it for passes in the winter that chains are required o 2wd vehicles, and snowy/icy parking lots and access roads. Dirt roads in the summer, not needed, unless im doing something REALLY stupid, then I will need a really big truck to get unstuck too....

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
8/3/16 10:08 a.m.

Do you have a pickup?
Would it be convenient for you to have a pick up all year long?
Is this too small of an interior?

Sample

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
8/3/16 10:09 a.m.
IndyJoe wrote: I think the trailer drop & explore with tow vehicle would be a plus here. That's why so many RV's tow a small car behind them.

My parents recently bought a nice RV. After one trip realized they need to tow a vehicle to use at their destinations, which required a tow dolly. Even used ones cost near a grand, so they bit the bullet and spent $2000 on a new lightweight dolly with electric brakes.

On your budget I'd stick with the vehicle you know just buy a trailer to pull.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
8/3/16 10:17 a.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

No, the tow rig is an SUV. Swapping it for a crew cab truck so that we can use a slide-in is a possibility, but the premium that a 4x4 crew cab commands around here is what drove me to an SUV in the first place.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
8/3/16 10:32 a.m.

Truck and trailer is the best bet. Easier to unhook and go exploring, and easier to back up if you are finding the need. A motorhome with a towable car is a pain to back up, and without the towable car, you have to be able to pack up camp and go exploring or to the store (and getting a Class A or Class C into a grocery store parking space is damn near impossible).

Remember if you are out and about, you also want storage room for food and clothing, and a real bathroom. And you don't want to live on top of each other, either, especially on days when you get mad at each other (and when camping, and things go wrong with a cheap RV, you WILL get mad at each other). And if you have dogs, they and their stuff take up room, too.

I've had a small converted ambulance, a 21 ft '72 Winnebago like the one pictured earlier, a 19 ft hybrid travel trailer (solid center with fold out tent ends for more sleeping space), as 28 ft single slideroom Outback travel trailer and yesterday we brought home a new Rockwood 34 ft triple slide. The converted ambulance and cheap Winnebago were simply constantly giving problems. Budget may be good sometimes, but making a cheap house go down the road without falling apart takes a lot of luck and not a small amount of work on your part. Which is why we've gone with warranties, and AAA/Good Sam coverage.

Sorry it's not too grassroots, but now we go with the rolling hotel.

My thread on it

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
8/3/16 11:01 a.m.

Just to be 100% clear, we are all about roadtripping and hiking, not so much for camping. Whatever our rig ends up being, it will never be parked in one place for multiple days at a time unless we're stuck because it's broken. We'd be doing this trip in an old car similar to my Route 66 adventure if not for the dogs- but with them, we don't want to deal with finding hotels that are pet friendly along the way, so the thought is that we bring our room with us.

java230
java230 Dork
8/3/16 11:14 a.m.

If your moving every day I vote RV, less tear down and set up.

java230
java230 Dork
8/3/16 11:17 a.m.

These are decent for gravel roads as they are pretty small. Sometimes they have very strange layouts however. Other downside is usually you have to make the bed every day. (which I HATE)

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
8/3/16 11:17 a.m.
Chris_V wrote: ...yesterday we brought home a new Rockwood 34 ft triple slide. Sorry it's not too grassroots, but now we go with the rolling hotel. My thread on it

Oh wow, that's way more spacious inside than I ever would have expected. Swanky!

wae
wae Dork
8/3/16 12:18 p.m.

I just went through a similar excercise. I wound up finding a 7500 motorhome because I wanted the ability to have an rv and a race car and I wasn't about to try towing a car trailer behind a travel trailer behind a truck. The motorhomes in the 5k range are going to be pretty rough. Expect some sort of delamination, water damage, a need for 2k worth of new tires, suspension work, and such. Travel trailers in that range, however, will have a little wear but probably be in good shape. A hybrid camper will give you lots of extra room for lots less weight and will be a little less expensive. Another big upside is that if you have Coach Net or some other RVS roadside assistance contract, if your tow rig breaks down, they'll provide for the town of your truck to a shop to be fixed and also tow your camper to a campground so you have a place to stay while you wait.

RedGT
RedGT HalfDork
8/3/16 12:21 p.m.

I would think being able to ditch the trailer somewhere for a day and go wherever you want on or off road with a normal size vehicle would be a big plus. You want to tackle some single lane washboarded dirt road in an old winnebago?

Assuming Chief is proven at this point, it's a whole lot less prep to make sure a hitch, axle and two bearings are up for the trip rather than a whole new unknown vehicle.

When we circled the country in an Accord wagon, that was one of the perks even compared to driving an F350+trailer on long trips in the past. You can go anywhere.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
8/3/16 12:26 p.m.

For $5K - get a trailer, take your trip and sell it for the same amount when you are done.

For $5K - RV - it will be a piece of crap, spend $3K on repairs and you will be lucky to sell it ever.

If you are moving that much don't by a Hybrid Trailer (hard sides with fold outs that are like a tent trailer), just buy a traditional trailer. Pull it in, level it and you're done.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/3/16 12:26 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: Big and 4x4? I could get into some real trouble with this...

Damn... that's tempting.

IMHO, since you already have a tow vehicle and two race cars, do you really want another engine to keep tabs on? That would have me lean towards a trailer in your situation.

Now if the thought is the RV could tow the race car and possibly allow savings on hotel rooms, that's another story.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
8/3/16 12:33 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

Don't forget the pair of sport bikes, another car, and the mower! This would be a purchase solely for this one trip, which is what makes me more willing to take on something with its' own drivetrain- NGTD makes a good point though, the ones I see don't seem to be selling.

My concern with an RV as a tow rig is that they don't always fit in rally service parks, and a lack of storage space for tools and spares outside of the living quarters. Plus, it's nice to be able to ruin a hotel room with all the filthy rally gear and take a real shower at the end of the day instead of cleaning up your own mess

java230
java230 Dork
8/3/16 12:40 p.m.
RedGT wrote: /snip You want to tackle some single lane washboarded dirt road in an old winnebago? /snip

Im weird, but yes!

20140907_095715

20150828_195421

oh and that was a 5k rig..... It did need some work, and I put about 3k into it, but it needed beds and an interior etc

As to being one time use, If you find a good deal on an RV I think you could re-sell. But honestly I think your going to be waiting a while to sell either a trailer or RV unless you want to take a big price hit. They are not exactly high volume sellers.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/3/16 12:41 p.m.

Hmm... I just remembered one of my teammates is selling his current RV to downsize. A '98 Fleetwood 34' Bounder with a single slide. He generally uses it a few times a year, so it's not in terrible shape and as far as I know, everything works. I'll see how much he wants for it.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BFRRuktP8k8gjVmH5ImCejdf1D6G4qUDzDwWoTYpQJi8h10jbwy2ArzJP5pasyPj