63Alpine
63Alpine New Reader
10/18/10 9:09 p.m.

I have an old roadster i am wanting to set up to autocross some with. Put new rims and tires on it, and already have spax adjustable shocks on the rear. The problem is the leaf springs are shot. I was thinking about getting them re arched, but while looking around online found composite leaf springs for not much more than a re arching. Anyone got any experience with these? They would be much cheaper than going to a 3 or 4 link, and i can put em on myself. I know some astro vans and rangers came with these from the factory. Is it worth looking into these?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/18/10 9:27 p.m.

Some astros and rangers, every C4 Corvette and all pre-'96 W-bodies...

I started collecting fraying ones for making a crossbow. Good thing I never actually did anything with that, it'd probably be able to shoot through a garage and the car in it.

63Alpine
63Alpine New Reader
10/18/10 9:39 p.m.

is fraying a common problem?

Knurled
10/18/10 10:00 p.m.

It was on the early W-bodies after a hundred thousand miles or two. Haven't seen a frayed one in a very long time.

Then again, I haven't seen a W-body that old in a very long time...

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/18/10 10:09 p.m.
Knurled wrote: It was on the early W-bodies after a hundred thousand miles or two. Haven't seen a frayed one in a very long time. Then again, I haven't seen a W-body that old in a very long time...

on those it was due to the pad on the end of the spring wearing out, causing composite spring on steel action.

my 95 astro has 187k miles and still sits at factory ride height after being a work van its whole life, and i load the heck out of my vans with tile and other heavy materials and tools.

63Alpine
63Alpine New Reader
10/18/10 10:14 p.m.

i read that they dont sag. my car is sagging about an inch on 1 side and anout 1/2 inch on the other.

Knurled
10/19/10 7:09 a.m.
patgizz wrote: on those it was due to the pad on the end of the spring wearing out, causing composite spring on steel action.

The ones that I've seen fraying were in the middle.

The end problem is a super-easy fix.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic SuperDork
10/19/10 8:18 a.m.

Not really related to this thread but I have made some carbon fiber leaf springs but it was for a much little vehicle.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7qRpp3s3fU2rrPtdR5em8woKmK5OZKyh7cAycuIQ2x3DEur3ryti4dyeWHyO0MUr