1 2
Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
1/2/15 6:53 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

The good FC wire doesn't put off much slag, nothing comparable to a stick welder, that's for sure. I never found keeping a puddle going and producing acceptable (strong) welds with one in any position difficult, when accompanied by a automatic helmet with the darkness set correctly. It's like a hot glue gun for metal. A lot of people have trouble because they're welding practically blind and can't see the puddle, out of fear of going blind.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
1/2/15 7:01 p.m.
In reply to Zomby Woof...why would the OP be welding on rusty dirty metal in the first place? If there is no intention of prepping the weld, it does not matter what process is used, its going to be sub-par. I myself find stick welding to be very difficult and impossible to finesse.

Because it's a 25 yr old G body frame. That's rusted out.

I've done this particular frame repair more than once. I have a rough idea what is involved, and if he wants to learn how to electric weld,

a) He should learn to stick weld first, so he has good basics, and

b) He should use stick welder because even birdE36 M3 looking welds with a stick will often be plenty strong. I would not trust anything form a newby on a mig machine, especially on a rusty old frame. I've seen far too many mig welds like the ones Streetwiseguy is talking about.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
1/2/15 7:11 p.m.

All of these guys are smart and can weld very well. They all have good points. One I will say that k initially didn't think of until I read zw's post is that it is going to be difficult to clean the frame well back there.

Anyway, ask s friend to help, didn't zw offer? If he does, do what he says. He probably can help you pick out a welder locally too.

Hope I am not offering you up too much zw.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
1/2/15 7:32 p.m.

In reply to novaderrik:

Strange, I could've sworn they were built like F body cars.

I thought only the earlier, downsized A body had the full frame.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
1/2/15 7:33 p.m.

In reply to Zomby Woof:

If you want to learn "good basics", you start with an acetylene torch.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
1/2/15 9:04 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: In reply to novaderrik: Strange, I could've sworn they were built like F body cars. I thought only the earlier, downsized A body had the full frame.

the 78 A body cars became the G body cars in 1981 because GM wanted to use the A body designation on their exciting lineup of all new fwd vehicles.. the frames are the same from 78-88, with minor changes for wagons and El Caminos and the addition of the mounting provisions for the crossmember for the 200-4r overdrive trans starting in 84.. rusted rear frame rails on these are very common.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
1/2/15 9:17 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: In reply to Zomby Woof: If you want to learn "good basics", you start with an acetylene torch.

You're right. That would also be a better choice than mig or flux core.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
1/3/15 12:17 p.m.

In reply to Zomby Woof:

Yeah, but are we learning to weld here on a professional level, or as a general skill? If you know and understand the theory you should be able to start welding with any process and produce acceptable work on easy jobs(like welding a steel car frame) without much practice.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
1/3/15 12:48 p.m.

Wire welders don't like rust. Prep carefully.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
1/4/15 3:41 p.m.

Update on the frame repair: I'm ordering a replacement rail from Conrad Lozier, and I met someone who is experienced (he had to do the floors on his e30), who will weld it in for me.

daeman
daeman New Reader
1/4/15 3:47 p.m.

Good work, replacement rails are definitely the best option. hopefully you can work with the guy doing the welding and Learn some new skills

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v8jRshB18M1H7fa8Aq0aSQFVXCmeMSUb6pBAI9SEWANnqOkfoRgnklUVXYwYQDaq