1 2
DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
6/1/16 7:06 a.m.

Having separated from the responsibilities of owning a farm, I'm now feeling a bit flush and have been made incredibly aware of how small my NC Miata (though I love it) is when it comes to transporting things like people and dogs. It was fine to have a Miata when I had a couple other vehicles to back it up, but as my only rig - it just doesn't work that awesome.

E90 M3s seem to have gotten pretty reasonable compared to their prices new, and I haven't heard nightmare stories about them. Does the collective have anything to say about these beasts?

Who can hate a German V8?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/1/16 7:34 a.m.

Amazing to drive, I love the DCT and the V8 has a nasty snarl to it.

Other than that I don't know. I want to say I've heard they possibly have rod bearing issues like the S54s in the E46 M3.......that is to say, they are considered a wear item.

I will not testify to that though.

Aspen
Aspen Reader
6/1/16 7:48 a.m.

There was GRM write up on these a while back. Seems pretty solid with a few minor issues. Maybe you can search the archives to get the issue.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
6/1/16 8:08 a.m.

Main weak point is the rod bearings. Tight clearances cause premature wear, but relatively easy to fix. Otherwise they seem pretty robust. They certainly sound delicious. Porsche has IMS, S65 has rod bearings, LS7s drop valves... Seems like most engines have at least one significant weakness.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
6/1/16 8:33 a.m.

They are outstanding dual purpose vehicles. Really, really good. I've enjoyed them on track and flogged one back to back with an Aston Martin V8 on country roads--the M3 was hands down the better car.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/1/16 8:55 a.m.

If I had the cash I'd do it in a second. Might you also look at a CTSv? you cause POWAH

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
6/1/16 8:57 a.m.

I'd only consider the Caddy if I could find a wagon, which seems to be quite challenging to find a "good one"

Fueled by Caffeine
6/1/16 9:09 a.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

you have never backed down from a challenge.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
6/1/16 9:17 a.m.

Sure I have, the RX7 is for sale!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/1/16 9:26 a.m.
turtl631 wrote: Main weak point is the rod bearings. Tight clearances cause premature wear, but relatively easy to fix. Otherwise they seem pretty robust. They certainly sound delicious. Porsche has IMS, S65 has rod bearings, LS7s drop valves... Seems like most engines have at least one significant weakness.

What is the "relatively easy fix?"

docwyte
docwyte Dork
6/1/16 9:27 a.m.

Replace them. Not cheap.

Fun cars, make great noises, don't get good mpg, don't have a lot of torque.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/1/16 9:39 a.m.

Pretty dominant in F-Street autox, it's a good car from what I've heard. V8 that revs to 8400RPM. Only gets maybe 19mpg highway though. Who cares! It's a V8 that revs to 8400RPM!

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher, Grassroots Motorsports & Classic Motorsports
6/1/16 9:39 a.m.

They are one of the best sounding production cars ever......seriously, that engine wails. Unfortunately, it also gets 12-14mpg. You may be able to break into the low 20mpg on steady state hwy driving, but they are serious gas pigs.

If it's a toy / occasional car, I'd go for it, as they are wonderful to drive. As a daily the gas guzzling would get tiresome---- especially if fuel jumps in price again.

They are also extremely complicated machines, with electronic throttle input, steering, and suspension adjustments that all can be made from the driver's seat. I'd be sure all the electric do-dads were in good working order before taking the plunge. I'm a bit leery of the long-term reliability of BMW electronics.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
6/1/16 10:11 a.m.

It's sad that my 521hp Cayenne SUV gets as good or better mpg...

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/1/16 10:16 a.m.
docwyte wrote: Replace them. Not cheap. Fun cars, make great noises, don't get good mpg, don't have a lot of torque.

That was my point. I've never heard replacing the rod bearings of an engine referred to as a "relatively easy fix."

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
6/1/16 10:24 a.m.

Why not get an rs6. Lambo v10. Better soundtrack and better all around car.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/1/16 10:40 a.m.

I can tell you that I rode in one at a track day 7-8 years ago since my buddy just bought one new. At the end of the 1/2 mile straight, my 93 325i with some mods would hit 110-112 before braking. The e90 m3 was easily 140-145 at the same place.

I remember it being an ABSOLUTE track monster. Scary fast. Easy to drive. Though he did burn up the front outside Michelin Pilot sport cup II in 3000 miles and 5-6 20 minute sessions on stock alignment.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/1/16 10:49 a.m.
Robbie wrote: I can tell you that I rode in one at a track day 7-8 years ago since my buddy just bought one new. At the end of the 1/2 mile straight, my 93 325i with some mods would hit 110-112 before braking. The e90 m3 was easily 140-145 at the same place. I remember it being an ABSOLUTE track monster. Scary fast. Easy to drive. Though he did burn up the front outside Michelin Pilot sport cup II in 3000 miles and 5-6 20 minute sessions on stock alignment.

I've gone out with instructors at HPDEs in these, and they are most certainly monsters. Monsters with huge appetite for brakes, tires and gas.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/1/16 11:07 a.m.

It revs to 8400RPM!

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
6/1/16 11:22 a.m.

I drove one as an instructor at our local autocross school. They are really, and I mean REALLY good. The power deliver is nice and smooth, sounds great, and the DCT kicks ass. Easy to drive too. But as Robbie mentioned, the front is camber limited so expect to destroy the out edges of the front tires if you plan on racing it.

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
6/1/16 1:20 p.m.

I drove one and didn't like how lazy the DCT seemed, but I probably just didn't have it in the right mode.

Camber limited 3500lb car is going to destroy front tires, but otherwise it was a lot of fun. The engine was fantastic!

I would look for one that has been meticulously maintained as repairs are not cheap.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/1/16 1:39 p.m.
CyberEric wrote: I drove one and didn't like how lazy the DCT seemed, but I probably just didn't have it in the right mode. Camber limited 3500lb car is going to destroy front tires, but otherwise it was a lot of fun. The engine was fantastic! I would look for one that has been meticulously maintained as repairs are not cheap.

You had it in the wrong mode. When I drove one mid-throttle shifts to 2nd were chirping the tires.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
6/1/16 11:17 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
docwyte wrote: Replace them. Not cheap. Fun cars, make great noises, don't get good mpg, don't have a lot of torque.
That was my point. I've never heard replacing the rod bearings of an engine referred to as a "relatively easy fix."

Relative to IMS on the later blocks that need to be split, or LS7 heads getting replaced with modified versions when the exact cause of valve issues isn't really understood. Replacing bearings is straightforward, most of the work is just getting to them. But of course, it would be great if the problem didn't exist. My point is that many of these sports car bargains have a trouble spot that keeps them cheap.

JBasham
JBasham Reader
6/2/16 11:51 a.m.

I've owned the coupe model since 8/12 (first 2013 model imported into the U.S.) I love it more than any of the 5 other BMWs in our driveway, far and away.

I would say, unless you plan to track it, just get a regular E90 sedan with the 2.5l motor, which is also a great car. If you can manage 2 cars, still think seriously about getting the regular E90 and getting a dedicated track car.

If you do plan to track it -- I track mine around 10 days a year -- it's really fast, and very predictable. Also, I can load in the same amount of stuff I carry when I trailer a smaller track car with my ZJ, drive in total comfort a few states to a distant track, and arrive rested and ready to go. I'm talking a full set of wheels in the back seat, the tools, the tent, the cooler, the table and chairs, all of it.

Because it's fast and heavy, it eats track tires, track pads, and track gas at a high rate. The only thing I recommend for mods is front camber plates, to dial down the understeer and save on front tire wear.

BMW's real achievement was delivering a real luxury ride that you can use every day around town or for interstate travel, and still tear it up at the track.

Be aware there are a number of owners with main bearing and rod bearing disasters. Also, any service visit is a potential $2,000 - $3,000 bill. If you can find one that's still under the original warranty, Assurant Solutions (the same company that issues BMW's official extended warranties) sells a 5-year extender for about $3,500 through USAA.

Fueled by Caffeine
6/2/16 11:56 a.m.

This sounds like a good car to buy through carmax for the warranty.

Lookee lookeee https://www.carmax.com/cars/bmw/m3/2011/12491680

https://www.carmax.com/cars/bmw/m3/2008/12826317

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LWnUYmOfdzqn5SrNo5LU1sLEDts2fUn94K1b3qiCK6tt9Vb3lrwIqabJVMWjslm1