1 2 3 4
ShadowSix
ShadowSix HalfDork
10/8/13 8:47 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Have you driven Nelson? It's not a track so much as a rallycross.

Ha! I did a 24-hour crapcan race there! It's faster to list the suspension parts we didn't break. Lots of fun though.

For logistical reasons I would mostly stick to Mid-Ohio and Putnam Park.

Unrelated: Who has road raced with both SCCA and NASA? Care to compare and contrast?

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
10/8/13 9:25 p.m.
ShadowSix wrote: Conclusion: I think that the Miata is the way to go, I hope to buy one suitable for track days/autocross next year, then sell it and buy an ITA/SM/PTx Miata when my skill level (and budget) reaches an appropriate level.

Honestly, just buy the race car and do track days and Auto-X with it. It will cheaper and easier in the long run and you'll learn to drive on the setup you're going to race.

A PTE Miata should be a relatively cheap build. If you're interested in NASA, there are some discussion threads on PTE, PTD, PTC on MiataTurbo.net in the Race Prep section. PT/TT follow the same rules, points classification. (Actually search for TTE, TTD, TTC)

I'm building my '90 up for eventual use in TTC. I won't be trying to compete on a National level, but it allows me to build my car 90% of the way I want it for HPDE, but still have a place to compete if I wish.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/9/13 10:42 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: Honestly, just buy the race car and do track days and Auto-X with it. It will cheaper and easier in the long run and you'll learn to drive on the setup you're going to race.

That depends... buying a full-on race car now would require a towing set-up he may not have at the moment and would add substantially to the cash outlay.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F1RcR3YjDt8WkdDdaV4CUTWL4mWcgKVsXAJtXi7GRbuN5pvWJZOpCX6RvZwVyjwQ