1 2
Brian
Brian SuperDork
6/17/13 5:58 p.m.

so my brother has decided that he wants to build a go-kart/buggie and that means I have to tell him how to do it. It's been years since I did research on the subject so I am turning to the brain trust that is GRM.
HELP!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/13 6:02 p.m.

Brian
Brian SuperDork
6/17/13 6:06 p.m.

that would help as he plans on building a Locost after the buggie

mw
mw Dork
6/17/13 9:11 p.m.

My only suggestion is that it be powered by a sportbike engine.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/13 9:12 p.m.

That book specs a 250cc four stroke single. Still not bad.

Mazda787b
Mazda787b New Reader
6/18/13 9:12 a.m.

I don't know really E36 M3 about gokarts, but I'd love to build a cyclecart. I figure there is enough of a hipster contingant here to get quite a few people into it.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
6/18/13 9:15 a.m.

I like to look at Jack's Small Engine website. Never bought anything from him, however.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
6/18/13 9:20 a.m.
I'd love to build a cyclecart. I figure there is enough of a hipster contingant here to get quite a few people into it.

Decent quote for the mag..

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
6/18/13 9:35 a.m.

I picked up a decent go-kart frame a few years back for a hundred bucks. Put on a 5 HP Briggs that a friend gave me, and picked up a chain and a clutch from TSC. My elder son has been riding it for years.

I've also got some old bikes that the neighborhood kids have outgrown/worn out/neglected. I am trying to find a way to turn them into something. I have a HF FCAW welder, so I should be considered armed and dangerous!

SkinnyG
SkinnyG HalfDork
6/18/13 9:42 a.m.

Video of the ones my students build in Highschool Metalwork.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/v2fWkfiBLlU

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
6/18/13 9:50 a.m.
Leafy
Leafy New Reader
6/18/13 10:06 a.m.

I would just grab the SAE baja rule book and build the frame to meet their safety rules. Then you know you can roll it many many times without injury. Please run a 125 dirt bike engine.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
6/18/13 10:12 a.m.
Leafy wrote: I would just grab the SAE baja rule book and build the frame to meet their safety rules. Then you know you can roll it many many times without injury. Please run a 900cc Roadbike engine.

Fixed that for you.

Leafy
Leafy New Reader
6/18/13 10:13 a.m.
accordionfolder wrote:
Leafy wrote: I would just grab the SAE baja rule book and build the frame to meet their safety rules. Then you know you can roll it many many times without injury. Please run a 900cc Roadbike engine.
Fixed that for you.

I almost wrote 250 dirt bike engine, then didn't because I realized it would just be a wheelie/burnout machine on the pavement and a trench digger in the dirt. A 125 would still be useful and fun.

Brian
Brian SuperDork
6/18/13 11:12 a.m.

the motor currently being looked at is a 150cc Honda scooter motor since he has some experience with them.

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
6/18/13 11:16 a.m.

In reply to Leafy:

You can still be injured.......our driver had a concussion after endo flipping ours.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
6/18/13 11:20 a.m.
Brian wrote: the motor currently being looked at is a 150cc Honda scooter motor since he has some experience with them.

I have one of those on an off road buggy. It's a real dog. I'll sell you mine if you really want one, because we're upgrading.

Brian
Brian SuperDork
6/18/13 11:31 a.m.
bravenrace wrote:
Brian wrote: the motor currently being looked at is a 150cc Honda scooter motor since he has some experience with them.
I have one of those on an off road buggy. It's a real dog. I'll sell you mine if you really want one, because we're upgrading.

is it a home built buggy or a pre fab?

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
6/18/13 11:46 a.m.

In reply to Brian:

It was bought complete.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel HalfDork
6/18/13 12:05 p.m.

I found that Champion book on a bargain table at TSC and bought it for something like 9 bucks, just because. If I ever build one, though, it won't be atomic pink, bargain paint or no bargain paint.

fanfoy
fanfoy Reader
6/18/13 12:07 p.m.

Well the first thing is to define if wants on or off-road

1 - For off-road: you want some roll-over protection and some suspension (or balloon tires). You also want both rear wheels to be driven.

2 - for on-road: you want to keep the CG as low as possible (so no roll-over hoops), and as little suspension as possible. You also want to only have one driven rear wheel, unless you like understeer.

The rest is pretty similar.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
6/18/13 12:11 p.m.
Mazda787b wrote: I'd love to build a cyclecart. I figure there is enough of a hipster contingant here to get quite a few people into it.

There's already plenty of interest here. We've discussed it on a number of times. I'd love to do a boattail one, maybe fashioned after the Type 37 Bug.

Mazda787b
Mazda787b New Reader
6/18/13 12:38 p.m.

To Clarify: I meant in Detroit. One of the first places I heard about them was on the boards here.

If there were only a way to modify the original design to look more like a 60s F1 car, we'd be set.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
6/18/13 12:42 p.m.

Have you ridden a 150cc 4-stroke scooter? I would not try putting that motor in something that weighs any more than a scooter. I have a 150cc honda gy6 knockoff that tops out at like 43mph and probably weighs less than any kind of reasonably safe cart. Now, a 250+ scooter motor, and you're in business!

cwh
cwh PowerDork
6/18/13 1:03 p.m.

Go look on Alibaba. They will hook you up with any kind of motor you might want for cheap.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
js9Kty41JMTzfijfBkJonzdzJXF4BWSD4hzGFfiMX4Howat6WHGqPxHEnNK7P37K