Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/9/11 2:26 p.m.

So I keep seeing this 1st Gen Prelude around, and it reminds me of a buddies Red 2.0Si (or was it just S?) from back in high school. Conversely, there's a house with a gorgeous Gunmetal last-gen Type SH. I've had a few Honda's in the past (85 Civic hatch, DC2 Integra GS-R) and generally liked them.

So what says the GRM-verse? Are any of the generations good? What to look out for? Did they become bloated or stay true? Is it just a fancy Accord?

PS122
PS122 GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/9/11 2:34 p.m.

I got pretty serious about the last-gen car a couple of years ago. Most of the things you know about Hondas apply (rust problems, etc.). One big thing I remember is that the autotragic cars can cause big problems and even rebuilt transmissions don't hold up from what I understand. Of course if your asking here, your probably not looking at autos anyway...

failboat
failboat HalfDork
9/9/11 2:48 p.m.

didnt the 2.0Si have the mechanical 4 wheel steering? Or was that just an option?

I had a friend that was way into these (3rd gens), he just sold off his prelude last year and a boatload of parts. for cheap. if I wasnt in the middle of the homebuying process at the time it may have all found its way into my garage.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
9/9/11 2:56 p.m.

My sister had a 1st gen in high school. There's a reason they were called the "quaalude". It would be a cool show car in a JNC kinda way, but if you want a performance car find one of the others. I had a 2nd gen in college, wish I had it back!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/9/11 2:58 p.m.
Javelin wrote: So I keep seeing this 1st Gen Prelude around, and it reminds me of a buddies Red 2.0Si (or was it just S?) from back in high school. Conversely, there's a house with a gorgeous Gunmetal last-gen Type SH. I've had a few Honda's in the past (85 Civic hatch, DC2 Integra GS-R) and generally liked them. So what says the GRM-verse? Are any of the generations good? What to look out for? Did they become bloated or stay true? Is it just a fancy Accord?

Sounds as if you're talkin' 3rd Gen...

coll9947
coll9947 Reader
9/9/11 3:06 p.m.

4WS in action, skip to 0:40

I still lust for a super-clean last-gen white Type SH model. One of the prettiest cars I've ever seen.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/9/11 3:09 p.m.

This is the same generation that my HS buddy owned and keeps showing up around here:

Hmmm...

And this is what is in the neighborhood:

Vigo
Vigo Dork
9/9/11 3:34 p.m.

I would probably enjoy any of them but the last gen is by far the one i like the most (not having owned any yet).

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
9/9/11 4:03 p.m.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
9/9/11 4:06 p.m.
Javelin wrote: This is the same generation that my HS buddy owned and keeps showing up around here: Hmmm... And this is what is in the neighborhood:

This is a 1st-gen Prelude:

All your pics start with the 2nd-gen. Ludes are an amalgamation of Civic and Accord philosophies in that they were aimed at buyers who wanted style, comfort, two doors and something that wasn't too small.

The '84-'87 Preludes (2nd-gen) are great fun but don't expect to surprise anyone in a heads-up macho display. Parts are getting hard to find and there is little-to-none aftermarket support. But, I have no intention of selling mine.

My '86 Si:

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo HalfDork
9/9/11 6:09 p.m.

I always thought they would be cool with rear wheel drive.

corytate
corytate Reader
9/9/11 6:14 p.m.

never noticed how much the 2nd gen looks like an s13 coupe..
hmm..
yeah they DEFINITELY should have been factory rwd (just like the last gen tiburon should have been, based on looks alone)

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy HalfDork
9/9/11 6:44 p.m.
failboat wrote: didnt the 2.0Si have the mechanical 4 wheel steering? Or was that just an option?

It was an option. My gf had (and unfortunately crashed) a 2.0Si non-4WS before I met her. After I got her into autocross she wished she could have that car back...

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
9/10/11 1:58 p.m.

I never knew..the 4WS is a pretty complicated unit.

http://forums.ntpog.org/showthread.php?t=73

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
9/10/11 2:12 p.m.

i think they look cool.

i remember driving a 4ws example fifteen years ago or so. it was kinda spooky.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/10/11 2:17 p.m.

4WS was only offered in North American markets for the 3rd (88-91) and 4th (92-96) generations. The 3rd gen system is 100% mechanical and has no issues, I've never heard of one failing. It was an option on the highest trim level (2.0Si in '88-'89 and Si in '90-'91). The 4th gen system is electronic and while I don't know much about them I've heard issues with the computer (mostly cracked solder joints) causing weird/scary stuff.

I'm a 3rd gen guy but I'll share some basic knowledge I've learned on the 5th gen cars.
-Don't buy an automatic, the trans blow up and they're rated for less power
-When you change the timing belt, switch to the older mechanical tensioner found on the 2.3L 4th gen cars. The hydraulic one has been known to fail.
-Oil burning if pretty common, H22s still used FRM cylinder sleeves.
-SH models handle fantastic and have a bunch of differences (engine block, trans, the shocks/front suspension? are different sized) but if you're planning on making big power the ATTS system goes into failsafe and becomes 40lbs of dead weight.

If you've got any specific questions fire away, I'll try to answer them.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed HalfDork
9/10/11 3:51 p.m.

Some of those look pretty sweet.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
9/11/11 10:42 p.m.

How does the integra gs-r compare to a 5th generation prelude? On paper they sound pretty similar.

vs.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/11/11 11:51 p.m.

Prelude is heavier, more refined. It has a smaller aftermarket, but we're comparing it to an Integra here so it's still pretty good. The Prelude handles better and is slightly faster in a straight line stock vs stock. The Integra is lighter, older and a bit rougher. Less torque.

I've got an old Car and Driver from when I was 12 (1999) comparing the Subie 2.5RS, Mercury Cougar V6, Integra GSR, Honda Prelude, Golf GTI, Eclipse GT and Toyota Celica GT-S. Prelude was 1st, Integra 4th if you put any faith in what they had to say.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
9/12/11 9:22 a.m.

My mom had a white '86 Prelude Si back in the 80's. I really enjoyed driving that car. I was driving an '87 Camaro with a 305/5 speed/no AC/radio delete that was faster in a straight line, but the Prelude was so much nicer and on a twisty road way more fun to drive IMO. A friend of mine had a 3rd gen one with the 4WS. I remember the strange feelings of the rear end sterring while riding in that car.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
9/12/11 10:33 a.m.
I've got an old Car and Driver from when I was 12 (1999) comparing the Subie 2.5RS, Mercury Cougar V6, Integra GSR, Honda Prelude, Golf GTI, Eclipse GT and Toyota Celica GT-S. Prelude was 1st, Integra 4th if you put any faith in what they had to say.

I would have put the prelude first out of those too, if all you're talking about is stock.

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
9/12/11 12:53 p.m.

I used a 95 Prelude drivetrain in my mid-engine Mini. The only thing I have to add to the above is that anything after 95-96 will be OBD-II and will therefore be more expensive and more a PITA to deal with in general - especially if you modify the engine in any way.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
9/12/11 1:28 p.m.

On the Integra vs. Prelude issue - I agree with most every thing Run_Away said. I'd only contend that the Prelude out handles the Integra stock vs. stock. Once a proper suspension is fitted, the weight difference may give the Integra the advantage. The Preludes feel much more like a sports car from the inside though. Stock they are already pretty wide and low. For a sporty daily driver, imho the Prelude feels better due to the extra torque and quieter/solid chassis. Performance aside, Integras have two big advantages though - a TON more interior space with real back seats and much less expensive insurance. I cross-shopped them back when we bought our last GSR and I was surprised how much more expensive the Prelude was, given that they're nearly identical on paper.

dculberson
dculberson HalfDork
9/12/11 2:40 p.m.

I had a 2nd gen Prelude for a while and found it to be a really fun driver. Bought it for $500, drove it 9,000 miles all around the US, then sold it for $450. Certainly wasn't fast, but it was fun. The later models somewhat solved the "not fast" problem.

griffin729
griffin729 HalfDork
9/12/11 5:01 p.m.

I used to own an '87 2.0Si until a kid in a pickup didn't notice me stopped to turn left on a rainy day. Matter of fact it looked exactly like the one in the pic above. loved it. I think my favorite body style of the Preludes would be the 3rd gen. It did handle great even on crappy all-seasons.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
az0MgHDmPKQwHLAJoXmv9uOGf4RjmjgbzzQCEzqjUNHiU5PCXs3WXc0C8pymhwio