1 2
ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
10/28/13 4:10 p.m.

I'm going ice racing this winter, that much has been decided. I bought a set of Blizzaks and an E36 M3/4/5 upon which to stick them, now I just need somewhere to race. I'm looking for the analogue to autocross on ice, not wheel to wheel racing.

Where should I go? How soon does the season typically start? Learn me these things and more oh people of the north.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/28/13 4:39 p.m.

I did it last winter with Furrin Group up near Grand Rapids, MI. It was a bit of a long drive for me to only have 5-6 runs on the ice but I was up there for a rallycross the previous day so I stuck around.

Why no Durocco on ice?

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
10/28/13 4:42 p.m.

Durocco has no heater core and a 90% chance of a debilitating failure. Also, no seat heaters.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
10/28/13 4:54 p.m.

RWD on ice

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
10/28/13 5:11 p.m.

Wasn't I just asking about this in the other thread? Maybe im on crack.

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
10/28/13 7:35 p.m.

Doh! Just saw your thread... brb going to start another ice racing thread.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/28/13 7:55 p.m.

I did an ice auto-x in college somewhere near Rochester, NY in my '94 2wd Toyota pickup. It was a blast! I did get stuck one run though. Went wide in a turn, the front stuck in the piled up snow from the plowed track, and the rear was stuck on the track. I crossed the finishline backwards...twice. I need to do more. Maybe i can talk my friend into converting the specneon into an ice racer this winter.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf HalfDork
10/29/13 10:07 a.m.

Not sure what you define as "within range".

SVSCCA runs in Beaverton, MI which looks to be about 5 hours from Columbus.

Furrin group runs at Turk Lake near Greenville, MI, which looks to be about 5 hours from you.

I'd imagine there's something closer NE of you, but not sure how hard the lakes freeze going south of where I'm at.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/29/13 10:14 a.m.

Al Gore killed ice racing in all of the lower 48 with the exception of NH, VT, MN, the dakotas and UP

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/17/13 2:19 p.m.

Looks like there is a tentative schedule for ice racing in Beaverton, MI

From the Detroit rallycross forum: http://detroit-scca.org/e107/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?39365.60

Quote:

These are fun events. I highly suggest them. Fastest run counts and ONLY that is like autocross. The rest is more like RallyCross, except a lot more open and a lot more sliding. Ross Lake courses have been near 2 miles in length. Here is that tentative Schedule (all on Ross Lake in Beaverton, MI):

SVR ICE RACING 2014

(tentative schedule)
Ross Lake: Sunday Jan. 26th
Ross Lake: Saturday Feb. 8th (day & night events!)
Ross Lake: Sunday Feb. 23rd.
Alternate: Saginaw Bay, Sunday March 9th

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
12/17/13 3:26 p.m.

Sweetness. I need to get a new clutch in the M3 and prepare for hilarity.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
12/17/13 5:33 p.m.

Adirondack Motor Enthusiast Club, Inc. (AMEC) will be starting the season in early January in the lower Adirondacks. www.icerace.com

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/17/13 7:27 p.m.

so what type of vehicle would one show up in to ice race? is it against the clock? would one look like a tool showing up in a 2005 4x4 avalanche with a locking rear diff?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/13 5:57 a.m.
iceracer wrote: Adirondack Motor Enthusiast Club, Inc. (AMEC) will be starting the season in early January in the lower Adirondacks. www.icerace.com

I wish they'd lower those Adirondacks a little more. I went to an AMEC event a few years ago and it was great but it was a long haul.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf HalfDork
12/18/13 6:02 a.m.
patgizz wrote: so what type of vehicle would one show up in to ice race? is it against the clock? would one look like a tool showing up in a 2005 4x4 avalanche with a locking rear diff?

Look like a tool? Nah. Definitely a run what ya bring type event. Lots of sedans and winter beaters. Yes it's just against the clock, and I've seen a few trucks in the past. Often if there's much snow, big 4x4 trucks are nice to have as they can help "clear " the course and/or help pull cars out if they get stuck.

Storz
Storz Dork
12/18/13 6:09 a.m.

Did it once with the Saginaw Valley SCCA many moons ago, bring warm clothes and have a blast!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/13 6:23 a.m.

I would also suggest bring plenty of food. Warm food if you can. There aren't a lot of places to shop in the middle of the lake and many of the ones along the shoreline are seasonal.

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
1/29/14 4:26 p.m.

I'm doing the Furrin group event Feb 9 at Turk Lake MI, much excitement. Planning on going up Saturday afternoon, hopefully finding some safe/legal ice to hoon on for the evening and then joining the event Sunday morning. Anyone local know other lakes in the area suitable for ice driving?

http://www.furrin.org/Events/CalendarofEvents/tabid/70/Default.aspx

The M3/4/5 in question pictured below, I bought a lightly used set of Blizzack LM-60's which are not ideal for ice but a lot better than all seasons.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
1/29/14 4:58 p.m.

There are two types of competition on ice. Both fun. Time trial/autocross. One car at a time. Car to car racing. Real racing. What AMEC does.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
1/29/14 5:18 p.m.

What are the Ice Policies at Alum Creek, Hoover or Buckeye Lake?
Can you get to the boat launches?
I suspect they are cold enough.

Near my house there is a good lake (some call it a Great Lake.)
Vehicles on it are not completely uncommon. Again, you need a boat launch ramp but I know where plenty are. I would even likely help to contribute to this kind of mischief (should you be the type that needs help with mischief??)

All the local rivers that I pass over while driving the highways have snow mobile tracks. I imagine that a frozen river must be like a cool, wide road course.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
1/30/14 8:23 a.m.
iceracer wrote: There are two types of competition on ice. Both fun. Time trial/autocross. One car at a time. Car to car racing. Real racing. What AMEC does.

Yeah that is what MIRA runs but I am unable to make a full season there this year for cash reasons.

So I will see you at SVR for both events (day and night) on feb 8th and then the FG event on the 9th.

Matthew Huizing
Matthew Huizing Reader
1/30/14 9:08 a.m.

I am not sure what you will find further south. I think we use Turk Lake because it is a bit north. It is also out of the lake effect snow area. Though there has been talk about plowing for next weekend.

We basically run and score it like a rallycross.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
1/31/14 8:28 a.m.

I'll split a hotel room for turk lake with furrin group on that Saturday night. I will be coming down later in the evening from Beaverton MI.

Chipperb
Chipperb New Reader
1/31/14 10:01 a.m.

In reply to ansonivan:

Atlanta, but you just missed the first round...

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
2/2/14 9:26 a.m.

On Weds I wrote, "come up to the big lake this weekend, it should be great."
And this morning I read, "Localy, Subaru Plummets Through Ice!"

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Pjy03McjNrPhYm7ueWvnqeDff1GG6yLuJ69iGAKGctAHRNqVrWzzEg4yf4zON5eX