SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
7/20/16 11:19 a.m.

So, I'm now officially the proud owner of a 2012 Mazda 3 2.5S! I paid it off, and am about to enjoy car payment-free life for at least a little while until it finally bites the dust. But eventually, I'm going to have to get another car. And when I do, I want something fast, powerful, and roomier than a Mazda 3. I've mainly been looking at V8-powered muscly things, and my desire for a 2015+ Dodge Challenger or Mustang GT has not subsided at all.

BUT...

I also remembered that the Japanese made a few V8 muscly things, hidden in the skin of luxury vehicles. Among them are the Infiniti M45 and M56. Let's talk about the M56, because there's no replacement for displacement.

On paper, it looks like a bargain. I'm seeing examples in the low-mid $20k range now. They have 420hp/417tq! They have all of the creature comforts one could imagine. They have an optional sport package too which I would pretty much have to get.

They look pretty nice too:

They have that "Q-Ship" sleeper vibe. They run 13.2 in the 1/4 stock, which is awesome for such a big sedan if you ask me. Downsides are rarity (and possible inability to find parts) and gas mileage, which has to be atrocious.

What say ye GRM Hive Mind?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
7/20/16 11:26 a.m.

I approve. The m cars have been long on my list.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/20/16 11:29 a.m.

I think this line from a review says it all:

These sedans are easily the most comfortable and luxurious cars Infiniti has ever produced. In fact that finely tuned blend of sportiness and luxury in these new M sedans could steal quite a bit of business from Infiniti's German rivals.

I think some of the best used car buys out there are the 2009-2013 infiniti's. Good pricing and great reliability.

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
7/20/16 11:35 a.m.

I have no personal experience other than I really want one.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
7/20/16 3:14 p.m.

I've sat in a few and the dash design really didn't work for me. I like how they look on the outside.

I think you're on the right track in that it's the only attainable japanese v8 RWD that's actually fast. The best of the rest can barely stay ahead of the modern v6/fwd midsizers. Of course there's an IS-F which is no bigger inside than a Mazda3, and then theres the M hybrid which is pretty fast but also a hybrid so i doubt it's on your radar. Lexus did also briefly make a GS460 which i would consider actually fast, although it's not any faster than my GS450h. Again, leaving off the fast hybrids here unless you're specifically interested.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/C_QPkb1NCnE

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
7/20/16 4:14 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

Yeah, I'd rather stay away from hybrids. I like stuff that I can wrench on myself, and I have no clue when it comes to hybrid stuff.

I know about the IS-F. I think they are pretty cool, but they are very cramped inside from what I hear.

I'd most likely be cross shopping the M56 with a Challenger RT, Charger RT/SRT, Chrysler 300S, and the newest Mustang GT. If I got either the Mustang or Challenger, it would have to be a M/T car, as I'd probably kick myself otherwise. I'd also consider a Chevy SS (the Holden-based thing) if they come down in price enough. The M56 just seems like a ton of car for the money.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
7/20/16 5:54 p.m.

E55 or E63 AMG if you wanna go fast. Hell, you can get an E55 AMG for half your budget and keep the rest for mods and repairs. After 4 months with a modded E55, I don't miss my supercharged C5 Corvette at all, if that tells you anything.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/20/16 9:30 p.m.

Genesis R spec..

Or

Equus..

.... Severe depreciation

Esit: Oops. That's not what you asked, at all. Forgive me.

I like the Infiniti M series also.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
7/20/16 11:00 p.m.

No one loves Infiniti depreciation more than I do. As such, I too have researched the odd and rare M56 (more odd than rare and certainly not holding value like "rare" might imply.)

C&D pans the S-model and seems to imply that you want a low option model, more base model instead.

Also odd, as the renamed Q70 there is also an optional long wheelbase version.

Fast and technical car but be prepared for the generally bland and Altima inspired exterior.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
7/21/16 5:47 a.m.

This thread is relevant to my interests. WHile I'll now roboot my search based on the info above I had previously come down to the following vehicles.

-Lexus ISF - ~$26k gets you a 2010 with 70k -Jag XJR - ~$9-12K gets you an 2004 with 70k -CTS V first gen - ~$9-12k gets you a 2004-2006 with 70K -CTS V second gen - ~$26k gets you a 2009 with 70K

My specs were ~400hp, sub 13sec Qtr mile, luxo-barge, rwd, and 4 doors (occassional kid duty).

At this moment I'm leaning toward the first gen CTS V and will be setting up a test drive.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
7/21/16 9:53 a.m.

Ok, a few more notes:

-While I like the E55/E62 AMG (especially the wagons!!!), I'm not going to subject myself to owning an older German car that will need big time maintenance. I might as well take my money and set it on fire. Unless it was a screaming deal on a wagon, there's pretty much no chance I'd buy one.

-No Hyundai stuff. Had a VERY bad experience with our last one, and will never buy another. If they couldn't build a basic car correctly, I shudder to think what owning a tech-laden luxury car from them would be like. I know a lot of you guys like them, but they have lost me as a customer.

-Not a fan of the Jaguars, although the newest ones are pretty nice looking. I've heard horror stories about reliability though. Out of my price range anyway.

-I like the CTS-V. The first gen cars look a little frumpy these days though, and they are getting older. Also, the whole proprietary 6-lug wheel thing is something that is a PITA. The 2nd gen cars are almost too absurd for me but if they fall in range, they might be considered.

-I don't mind the bland styling of the M56. I think it looks subtle and clean. Very unassuming. I am also a fan of sleepers, too.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
7/21/16 11:17 a.m.

You wrote in the first posting about concerns of inability to find parts.

Though the M56 was never popular, I think the parts will be. When it comes to the M-body parts there were/are many lesser M37s out there. When it comes to the 5.6-engine parts there are many 5.6L Nissan/Infiniti trucks and SUVs out there.

The rarity will just be the combination of the M & the 5.6L.

I'm talking parts. Not to be confused with "aftermarket". I suspect there will not be much of a sporting aftermarket for the M series. Likely more "stance" and "VIP look" stuff than real "performance" stuff.

I do like the general idea of, "lets take our biggest truck engine and offer it in our large sedan."

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
7/21/16 11:22 a.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

Yeah, when I say "parts availability" I mean "can I go to my local parts store and buy an oil filter". Like you said, it is just the Titan V8, so that stuff should be covered. I am also a big fan of stuffing big V8's in sedans.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
7/21/16 11:30 a.m.

The 06-09 Lexus LS460 had 380/367. But I doubt you'd get the aural experience of one of the others mentioned above.

I wish Ford would put that Coyote motor in something with 4 doors, as I would be sold. Maybe keep an eye on the automatic SS's and see what happens, as I heard they are great cars.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/21/16 11:34 a.m.

What about the early M45 models? Like this one? Are they terrible?

4.5L V8 engine, automatic transmission. Leather heated AND cooled power seats, power windows, power locks, power sun/moon roof, dual climate a/c, Bose premium 6 disc cd sound system, telescopic tilt steering wheel with cruise control/sounds system controls, fog lights, like new tires and brakes...With only 104k very well maintained miles, this car needs Nothing.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
7/21/16 12:02 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace:

That is widely accepted (outside the US) and has a cool cult following. The crowd does tend to be the "stanced bra" crowd but a lot of them end up looking good despite the difference in preferences. With an exhaust and intake they sound incredible. Fast for a luxo barge of the time as well but aftermarket is limited. Love the rare factor but they are getting long in the tooth. The few I've found clean enough for me to daily were unreasonably priced. I believe they only made that body/engine combo in 04 and 05 so not so many vehicles out in the market to choose from.

The Q45 was another cool luzxo barge of the same era that i still really dig as well.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/21/16 12:06 p.m.
84FSP wrote: My specs were ~400hp, sub 13sec Qtr mile, luxo-barge, rwd, and 4 doors (occassional kid duty).

Might be in the same boat soon. Truck got stolen and probably in Mexico. Might get a dad-mobile with some go until I can afford a loaded 6.7 truck.

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
7/21/16 12:36 p.m.
93gsxturbo wrote: E55 or E63 AMG if you wanna go fast. Hell, you can get an E55 AMG for half your budget and keep the rest for repairs. After 4 months with a modded E55, I don't miss my supercharged C5 Corvette at all, if that tells you anything.

FTFY

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
7/21/16 12:52 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: What about the early M45 models? Like this one? Are they terrible? 4.5L V8 engine, automatic transmission. Leather heated AND cooled power seats, power windows, power locks, power sun/moon roof, dual climate a/c, Bose premium 6 disc cd sound system, telescopic tilt steering wheel with cruise control/sounds system controls, fog lights, like new tires and brakes...With only 104k very well maintained miles, this car needs Nothing.

I liked them when the came out, because they reminded me of a weird Japanese Crown Vic.

One of my main issues with them (and a lot of other similar cars) is that the infotainment system is lacking modern features (like Bluetooth audio and music streaming) and stupid expensive to replace when it breaks. I know that many Nissan and Infiniti models from that era have the HVAC and radio in one unit, and when it goes down, they are thousands of dollars to replace. If it's a matter of installing an aftermarket head unit, that's NBD, but when everything is tied into it, that sucks.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
7/21/16 3:48 p.m.

The M56 is a tank. My former boss had one. Very well put together. I've studied all the reviews I could find and it seems like one long term test somewhere had constant electronic problems...can't remember which one though.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
7/21/16 4:29 p.m.
The Hoff wrote:
93gsxturbo wrote: E55 or E63 AMG if you wanna go fast. Hell, you can get an E55 AMG for half your budget and keep the rest for repairs. After 4 months with a modded E55, I don't miss my supercharged C5 Corvette at all, if that tells you anything.
FTFY

Dont knock it till you try it, friend.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
7/21/16 11:30 p.m.
At this moment I'm leaning toward the first gen CTS V and will be setting up a test drive.

If you are looking for a luxury car i think the first gen CTS will leave you sorely disappointed. It has a lot more in common with a same-year Grand Am than most of these other cars when it comes to 'apparent' quality. But by all means try one and report back!

I'd most likely be cross shopping the M56 with a Challenger RT, Charger RT/SRT, Chrysler 300S, and the newest Mustang GT. If I got either the Mustang or Challenger, it would have to be a M/T car, as I'd probably kick myself otherwise. I'd also consider a Chevy SS (the Holden-based thing) if they come down in price enough. The M56 just seems like a ton of car for the money.

It sounds like you need to decide how much you care about luxury. There's a decent spread within those options. Maybe less important, but i think everything you just listed has way more potential to look badass than the M56. It's a little odd to me.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/22/16 8:18 a.m.

We reviewed the M56 back when they were new.

I'd check out the corresponding Lexus, too. The Infiniti will probably feel sportier, but the Lexus might feel a bit more substantial.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
7/22/16 9:57 a.m.

I basically want a fun to drive, roomy V8-powered coupe or sedan with around 400hp, a nice Bluetooth-enabled stereo with a display screen, heated leather seats, and I don't want it to be a giant pile of E36 M3 in a couple years. It also helps if it looks nice. My range is very broad.

I saw the M56 and completely forgot it existed. I looked at the features list (4-wheel steering, that Forest Air thing, etc) and I thought all that was pretty cool.

Also, my parents just bought a 2014 Infiniti Q60X Journey (it's the rebadged G37X, I hate the naming convention changes!) and I really like it. Well, except for one thing: the headroom. Even at the seat's lowest setting, that highly raked roofline makes me hit my head every once in a while. It is fun to drive and has plenty of get up and go. I figure the M56 is a bigger, badder G37/Q50 with MOAR POWWWEEEERRRRR.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
7/22/16 1:40 p.m.
Genesis R spec.. Or Equus..

I've driven a 3.8 Genesis (sedan) and a 5.0 Equus and i like both of these ideas.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YFBFCu5SXzpahLPtgkp6AwZQe7feWdqWt04Fag8xdpqaiLDYRsJ6rEgXPRt7TP46